Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    I understand that the MIAC has informed St. Thomas that after 2020, they will no longer be allowed to compete in that conference in football. Apparently the Tommies have been so successful that the rest of the schools in the league are tired of losing to them all the time.
    From the story I read in the paper today, it's all sports, not just football. They've been kicked out of the conference for being too dominant. They won the all-sports conference trophy for something like the last dozen years.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      There are D2 and D3 schools that play in D1 hockey and are eligible (and have won) the national D1 tourney. And there are D2 schools that play in D3 leagues that are ineligible for either national tourney.
      You are missing my point. You can NOT play up anymore in just one sport. However, I may have found a loophole for hockey. Move the entire school just to D2 and this allows the hockey team to play D1. It won't work in any sport that does have a D2 national championship.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

If I'm reading this right, St Thomas wouldn't be able to play D-1 until their 5th year after they decide to move up, correct? (The transition from D-3 to D-2 is 4 years) Can you play D-1 hockey as a provisional D-2 member?

Don't think this has a snowball's chance, but it's a fun theoretical to run in the off-season....
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          If I'm reading this right, St Thomas wouldn't be able to play D-1 until their 5th year after they decide to move up, correct? (The transition from D-3 to D-2 is 4 years) Can you play D-1 hockey as a provisional D-2 member?

Don't think this has a snowball's chance, but it's a fun theoretical to run in the off-season....
          I think you can play right away, you're just ineligible to play in post season tournaments (conference & national) for 4 seasons. That's at least the case for a D2 to D1 promotion.

St Thomas looks like a decent D3 program (perennial .600 or better record) so I would think the transition from D3 to D1 in hockey would be even easier than say an Arizona State that had mostly a roster of ACHA D1 players to start.

Comment

The way I read it is since D-II does not have a championship, St. Thomas could move their entire athletic department to D-II and be eligible for the D-I tournament right away. They can stay classified as a D-II hockey team (D-II scholarship limits) and declare their intent to play for the D-I tournament. The only other stumbling block, I believe, is their schedule would have to be at least 30 D-I games to meet tournament qualification standards.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I would welcome UST with open arms to D1. With the amount of money they can get in donations it wouldn't take long at all for them to be legit recruiting the Twin Cities.

I'd be way more excited to watch UMN vs. UST games than Gophers vs. any Big Ten opponent other than wiscsonsin.

Comment

Get kicked out of their conference for being too good

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  Get kicked out of their conference for being too good
                  The High School got kicked out of Class A for being too good, too.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    The High School got kicked out of Class A for being too good, too.
                    They opted up.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      The way I read it is since D-II does not have a championship, St. Thomas could move their entire athletic department to D-II and be eligible for the D-I tournament right away. They can stay classified as a D-II hockey team (D-II scholarship limits) and declare their intent to play for the D-I tournament. The only other stumbling block, I believe, is their schedule would have to be at least 30 D-I games to meet tournament qualification standards.
                      A D-II school can declare for the D-I hockey championship if they declare by June 1 of the previous year, and can use D-I financial aid limitations. From the D-I manual:

20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship Is Conducted. An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                      20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw 20.9.1.1. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                      20.8.2.2 Exception for Maximum Number of Contests or Dates of Competition. A Division II member institution that is eligible for a championship in another division because there is no championship in that sport in its membership division shall apply the maximum number of contests or dates of competition in the sport involved that applies to the division in which it declares its intention to compete.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Not that any other sports really matter, but what others don't offer a D-II championship?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          Not that any other sports really matter, but what others don't offer a D-II championship?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          There doesn't appear to be a clear equivalent to hockey.

According to Wiki, there are the following breaks from the traditional D1, D2, D3 structure:

Single division:
                          Women's bowling (no men)
                          Men's and Women's fencing
                          Gymnastics (appears to be single division since 1984 for M 1986 for W)
                          Men's and Women's rifle (actually I think this might be a coed sport?)
                          Men's and Women's skiing
                          Women's beach volleyball (no men)
                          Men's and Women's water polo

Combined divisions:
                          Men's volleyball is the closest thing to hockey, but still not the same. Until 2012, it was a single division sport. Then a D3 division was added. There aren't enough teams between D1 and D2 to split it further, so D1 is technically a combined division of D1 and D2. So, unlike hockey you do not have to declare you are playing up, it looks like by not playing in D3 you're part of D1.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Taking this back to the original subject:

We can’t let St Thomas go DI. What if they start winning games? We can’t kick them out of DI if they succeed, can we?
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Taking this back to the original subject:

We can’t let St Thomas go DI. What if they start winning games? We can’t kick them out of DI if they succeed, can we?
                              It's really more of a conference issue. They can be accepted into a D-I conference on the condition that they never finish a season with better than a .500 record, under penalty of expulsion.
                              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

This was brought up on another board, and there may be some credence to it. There is a possibility St. Thomas could apply for a waiver bypassing the stop at D-II and go straight to D-I in all sports due to the "involuntary" nature of their removal.
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X