Starting D1 Hockey Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting D1 Hockey Program

Anybody have information on how much it costs to start a D1 hockey program? What about maintaining it? I ask because the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota maybe leaving the MIAC a D3 conference for D2 or D1 for all sports. I
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Dumping a 16 year old arena that seats 1,400 to build a new one at 5,000+ seats is a start that will require a wheelbarrow full of cash.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Read the D3 thread. Ralph posted the hurdles that UST will have to jump through to move the ENTIRE sports program to D2 and then to D1.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Actually that's pretty close.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Illinois is apparently still trying to find the answer.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Read the D3 thread. Ralph posted the hurdles that UST will have to jump through to move the ENTIRE sports program to D2 and then to D1.
            I read the thread and since I'm a Augsburg grad I have been following this situation. My question still is how much did it take ASU or PSU to start their programs?

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              I read the thread and since I'm a Augsburg grad I have been following this situation. My question still is how much did it take ASU or PSU to start their programs?
              See two posts before yours
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

We, including myself, have been saying this for quite some time.

But I think we've been missing a catch all this time. There is no D2 national championship for hockey, in either genders. And in that case, you are allowed to play for the D1 national championship even if you are D2, as long as you meet the scheduling requirements. I believe that is still true. Am I missing something?
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  We, including myself, have been saying this for quite some time.

But I think we've been missing a catch all this time. There is no D2 national championship for hockey, in either genders. And in that case, you are allowed to play for the D1 national championship even if you are D2, as long as you meet the scheduling requirements. I believe that is still true. Am I missing something?
                  There are D2 and D3 schools that play in D1 hockey and are eligible (and have won) the national D1 tourney. And there are D2 schools that play in D3 leagues that are ineligible for either national tourney.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

See two posts before yours
                    UST doesn't need $100 million to move up. They already have Aldrich Arena a capacity of 3,500.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      There are D2 and D3 schools that play in D1 hockey and are eligible (and have won) the national D1 tourney. And there are D2 schools that play in D3 leagues that are ineligible for either national tourney.
                      UMD is a D-II school in all sports but hockey. So if UST wanted to go D-I in only hockey I'm sure there's a path for them to achieve that.
                      "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                        UMD is a D-II school in all sports but hockey. So if UST wanted to go D-I in only hockey I'm sure there's a path for them to achieve that.
                        I thought playing up wasn't allowed any longer?
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          I thought playing up wasn't allowed any longer?
                          You can play up if a championship isn’t offered in that division.
                          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            You can play up if a championship isn’t offered in that division.
                            Technically, no. 2010-100 said no more playups, but as was cited elsewhere, NCAA regs allow a D2 hockey school to declare they want to be eligible for the D1 Frozen Four, while still remaining a D2 school.

Semantics.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I understand that the MIAC has informed St. Thomas that after 2020, they will no longer be allowed to compete in that conference in football. Apparently the Tommies have been so successful that the rest of the schools in the league are tired of losing to them all the time.

I suppose that's the impetus behind St. Thomas' taking the matter of moving to a higher division under consideration.

Comment

Working...
                              X