Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting D1 Hockey Program

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

    Rumor has it St. Thomas has two out of three doners lined up who are willing to donate each $100 million dollars to build either a dual basketball/hockey or two separate basketball and hockey arenas in St. Paul. The current on campus football stadium will be remodeled/upgraded to have suites and other amenities for non scholarship football. The baseball stadium will also be upgraded.

    They like to look at themselves as a Marquette but they feel the school has more students, doners and a prettier city.

    Different source. They are not going to purchase the land for Town & Country. It's not ever happening!
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

      Is that different source a Gopher fan?

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

        The NCAA was supposed to rule on St. Thomas' "immediate playup to D-I" in the next few weeks. I wonder how the current situation changes that.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

        Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

        Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

        Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

          Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          The NCAA was supposed to rule on St. Thomas' "immediate playup to D-I" in the next few weeks. I wonder how the current situation changes that.
          Considering they won't have winter tournaments and spring sports starting, I don't think it should be delayed.

          Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

            Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            The NCAA was supposed to rule on St. Thomas' "immediate playup to D-I" in the next few weeks. I wonder how the current situation changes that.
            I read April will be the date.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

              Nothing too exciting. For those keeping track, the NCAA was supposed to decide in April whether they would allow St Thomas to move directly from D3 straight to D1. Under the current circumstances with the pandemic, they have delayed that decision until June at the earliest.


              NCAA postpones St. Thomas’ Division I decision

              https://www.tommiemedia.com/news/bre...on-i-decision/

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                So, if I’m reading all the tea leaves correctly:

                Illinois was ****ed close to announcing their program. Economic uncertainty due to COVID 19 has delayed that. For how long depends on how much funding is impacted.

                CHN columnists are basically confirming the exact same story for Navy.

                St Thomas… some unknowns there but as far as we know they would’ve been approved to transition to D-I by now (and that may still happen soon).

                And LIU just decided “**** it, were doing it in four months with almost no budget or plan”.

                This could’ve been one of the most bonkers off seasons we’ve seen outside of The Great Realignment.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                  Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  So, if I’m reading all the tea leaves correctly:

                  Illinois was ****ed close to announcing their program. Economic uncertainty due to COVID 19 has delayed that. For how long depends on how much funding is impacted.

                  CHN columnists are basically confirming the exact same story for Navy.

                  St Thomas… some unknowns there but as far as we know they would’ve been approved to transition to D-I by now (and that may still happen soon).

                  And LIU just decided “**** it, were doing it in four months with almost no budget or plan”.

                  This could’ve been one of the most bonkers off seasons we’ve seen outside of The Great Realignment.
                  **** lT! WE’LL DO IT LIVE!!!
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                    Just speculating (or engaging in a flight of fancy) and not considering $$$$, Title IX, and COVID implications:

                    --If Navy makes the jump, does it bring its B1G neighbor (Maryland) along with it?
                    --And if Maryland makes the jump, does it bring Rutgers along with it to give the B1G an eastern anchor?
                    --And how about Delaware, which--like Navy--has a well-established ACHA club program?
                    --And if Delaware makes the jump, how about Penn/Villanova/Temple in a city where pro hockey has long been established?

                    Hope nobody holds their breath waiting for any of this (except maybe Navy) but good fodder for off-season banter.
                    Last edited by Split-N; 05-02-2020, 10:25 AM.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                      Long-term, Navy and LIU to AH makes sense. If everything goes well with Sacred Heart's new rink, they have to be the best option for Hockey East unless Holy Cross can come up with a rink. SH to Hockey East down the line and all three eastern leagues would have 12 teams.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                        Easy there
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                        BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                        At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                        Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                          It's no secret that HE wants to add a 12th team. Given that Quinnipiac doesn't seem interested I don't think it's crazy to project Sacred Heart. It's all about that new rink. Ideally I think Holy Cross would be the better addition but they aren't making the commitment SH is. Maybe that will change, who knows.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                            Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            Just speculating (or engaging in a flight of fancy) and not considering $$$$, Title IX, and COVID implications:

                            --If Navy makes the jump, does it bring its B1G neighbor (Maryland) along with it?
                            --And if Maryland makes the jump, does it bring Rutgers along with it to give the B1G an eastern anchor?
                            --And how about Delaware, which--like Navy--has a well-established ACHA club program?
                            --And if Delaware makes the jump, how about Penn/Villanova/Temple in a city where pro hockey has long been established?

                            Hope nobody holds their breath waiting for any of this (except maybe Navy) but good fodder for off-season banter.
                            Do you have anything besides wild speculation that Maryland has any interest in D1 hockey?
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                              Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              Do you have anything besides wild speculation that Maryland has any interest in D1 hockey?
                              There was some level of interest years ago but whatever interest there might have been went by the boards when Maryland built its Comcast Center arena without including an ice-making capability. Maryland always has been and always will be a basketball school. Basketball is the moneymaker; football is a money loser. So it came as no surprise that the powers that be passed on the prospect of its golden goose sharing a venue with another in-season revenue-producing sport. Too bad. IMO, a Maryland varsity hockey program would mirror the success of wildly popular Washington Capitals. And maybe that's the problem.

                              So no, nothing other than wild speculation.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                                The one thing I would say is that the DC-Maryland-Virginia (DMV) region collectively has the highest “USA hockey registrations to non-NHL hockey attendance” ratios (a thing I started looking at when I was bored a few months back).

                                The Capitols may well take up all of that demand, but theoretically there’s plenty of demand for hockey out there.

                                Again, that’s probably the only reason to suspect anything for any school out there. It’s not like Navy, where we’ve had years of rumors and talk of arenas, etc.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                                BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                                At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                                Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X