Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting D1 Hockey Program

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

    It's not about their finances. It's about donors. They have plenty of rich ones.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

      Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      It's not about their finances. It's about donors. They have plenty of rich ones.
      Yes they do. But do they all want their gifts to go to D-I athletics? Sports are a big part of UST and they have been for quite a while. But do those donors have Pegula-like passion for their alma mater to make that jump? Or do they appreciate St. Thomas for the small private liberal arts college they attended?

      And even if they get the money, big fancy empty rinks are not good. And I hope they prove me wrong when I say that I see them struggling to fill a rink off campus.

      Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

        Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        Or do they appreciate St. Thomas for the small private liberal arts college they attended?

        And even if they get the money, big fancy empty rinks are not good. And I hope they prove me wrong when I say that I see them struggling to fill a rink off campus.
        They can appreciate what the school is but still want to compete at the highest level. I'd assume most of them are like that. It's the nature of competitive people.

        It would definitely be important to build the right sized arena.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

          Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          They can appreciate what the school is but still want to compete at the highest level. I'd assume most of them are like that. It's the nature of competitive people.

          It would definitely be important to build the right sized arena.
          I understand the nature of competitive people, but not all of them are sports fans and those who aren't probably won't give money for it.

          Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

            I keep hearing rumors of Eau Claire getting a hockey tram as well.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

              Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I keep hearing rumors of Eau Claire getting a hockey tram as well.
              Where will the tram go? Are they building stations for it too?
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

              "I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                Just around the hockey arena. It’s kind of useless, kind of like autocorrect.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                  Off the top of my head I believe the only hockey arenas where STU can go at the D1 level would be Aldrich Arena in Maplewood or the Warner Coliseum on the state fair grounds. Aldrich is around 3,400 and Warner is around 5,800.

                  EDIT.
                  Last edited by 4four4; 10-05-2019, 04:05 PM.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                    As a reminder UAA is playing in a 750 seat arena this year. The “division one rink” definition has changed.
                    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                      SBI: University of St. Thomas Looking at Move to Division I

                      By Chris Dilks
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                        Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                        As a reminder UAA is playing in a 750 seat arena this year. The “division one rink” definition has changed.
                        Ouch bad example. That is not going to be a D1 team for long.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Off the top of my head I believe the only hockey arenas where STU can go at the D1 level would be Aldrich Arena in Maplewood or the Warner Coliseum on the state fair grounds. Aldrich is around 3,400 and Warner is around 5,800.

                          EDIT.
                          The State Fair Coliseum doesn’t make ice anymore. I want to say the equipment is out-of-date and it wasn’t worth it to replace.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

                            It would be the first place I donate to if I won the big one.

                            My favorite place to watch hockey.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                              Absolutely, I don’t think there’s a lot of space over there. Maybe buy some land at the old Ford Plant. Or over by Allianz. I don’t think that area would be ideal for St. Thomas though. The X or Target Center could work in the interim. If those arenas want to. I’m guessing attendance won’t be great the first couple years.
                              It’s highly unlikely that the Xcel or Target would give up dates where they have concerts, shows, state Volleyball tournaments and other far more lucrative events for ST hockey.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                Off the top of my head I believe the only hockey arenas where STU can go at the D1 level would be Aldrich Arena in Maplewood or the Warner Coliseum on the state fair grounds. Aldrich is around 3,400 and Warner is around 5,800.

                                EDIT.
                                The high school rink that they currently play in isn’t even on par with some of the AHA rinks.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                                BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                                At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                                Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X