• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Re: Starting D1 Hockey Program

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
    Richfield, Aldrich or Braemar are closest to the needed size. None of those places are great options. Which made me wonder if they’d fold the program to save on the costs.
    A Minnesota university dropping their hockey program? They'll shutter the university before they drop hockey. This is Minnesota you're talking about... That's like asking WI to remove milk from grocery stores.

I would put money on UST having D-I hockey before the next Big10 school. Mass, Minn, Mich... Which "M" state will be the D-I hockey king?

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

I agree, Target Center wasn’t too upset over losing the Frozen Faceoff. The NCHC had to buy out its last year and it gave Target Center more open dates to hold a concert where they’d make more money.

Richfield, Aldrich or Braemar are closest to the needed size. None of those places are great options. Which made me wonder if they’d fold the program to save on the costs.
    Indeed, it's why it will be interesting to see what their plans are going forward.

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    It’s highly unlikely that the Xcel or Target would give up dates where they have concerts, shows, state Volleyball tournaments and other far more lucrative events for ST hockey.
    I agree, Target Center wasn’t too upset over losing the Frozen Faceoff. The NCHC had to buy out its last year and it gave Target Center more open dates to hold a concert where they’d make more money.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    I'm glad you posted the source of the article. You saved me from visiting click bait.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Off the top of my head I believe the only hockey arenas where STU can go at the D1 level would be Aldrich Arena in Maplewood or the Warner Coliseum on the state fair grounds. Aldrich is around 3,400 and Warner is around 5,800.

EDIT.
    The high school rink that they currently play in isn’t even on par with some of the AHA rinks.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Absolutely, I don’t think there’s a lot of space over there. Maybe buy some land at the old Ford Plant. Or over by Allianz. I don’t think that area would be ideal for St. Thomas though. The X or Target Center could work in the interim. If those arenas want to. I’m guessing attendance won’t be great the first couple years.
    It’s highly unlikely that the Xcel or Target would give up dates where they have concerts, shows, state Volleyball tournaments and other far more lucrative events for ST hockey.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

It would be the first place I donate to if I won the big one.

My favorite place to watch hockey.

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied
    Off the top of my head I believe the only hockey arenas where STU can go at the D1 level would be Aldrich Arena in Maplewood or the Warner Coliseum on the state fair grounds. Aldrich is around 3,400 and Warner is around 5,800.

EDIT.
    The State Fair Coliseum doesn’t make ice anymore. I want to say the equipment is out-of-date and it wasn’t worth it to replace.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
    As a reminder UAA is playing in a 750 seat arena this year. The “division one rink” definition has changed.
    Ouch bad example. That is not going to be a D1 team for long.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

SBI: University of St. Thomas Looking at Move to Division I

By Chris Dilks

Leave a comment:

• BGDrew
    replied

As a reminder UAA is playing in a 750 seat arena this year. The “division one rink” definition has changed.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

EDIT.
    Last edited by 4four4; 10-05-2019, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Just around the hockey arena. It’s kind of useless, kind of like autocorrect.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I keep hearing rumors of Eau Claire getting a hockey tram as well.
    Where will the tram go? Are they building stations for it too?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I keep hearing rumors of Eau Claire getting a hockey tram as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X