This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> RIT Tigers 2020-21: A Season "Reconsidered" <<<

Since Scott brought it up yesterday ... here's our thread for a new season!

Given that I had to listen to the Clarkson radio broadcast yesterday, is it right to assume that you guys won't be traveling to any of the away games?
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

We were on only WHTK 1280am this past weekend due to some issues getting student engineers on to campus for WITR. Hoping to have those worked out in the near future.

For now, you can listen to the stream for each game on WHTK 1280am.
      Scott Biggar
      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
        We were on only WHTK 1280am this past weekend due to some issues getting student engineers on to campus for WITR. Hoping to have those worked out in the near future.

For now, you can listen to the stream for each game on WHTK 1280am.
        Thanks, much rather listen to you guys. Although the Clarkson guys did play Ed's USCHO podcast between periods.
        Last edited by XCTiger; 11-30-2020, 04:18 PM.
        John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
        NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

While we're on the subject of podcasts, Wayne Wilson was our guest today: https://www.uscho.com/2020/12/01/rit...n-3-episode-2/

Comment

WITR will not be carrying the games this weekend but is planning to resume them next weekend. You can find the games at https://foxsports1280.iheart.com/ or on the iHeartRadio app. On Saturday, we'll be joining as soon as Syracuse Football ends.

Comment

I've been watching Tiger Hockey since 1972. Ive NEVER seen a game like this one. That the officials didn't know the shootout rule changed is embarrassing for Atlantic Hockey. Tomorrow's game should be intense as Niagara will be mightily PO'd having an OT game winner disallowed, then being told they had won after the first round of the shootout. Only to lose 2-1 after being called back to the ice when the officials finally realized their mistake.
              John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
              NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

I wish I could say I was surprised by the AHA's officiating incompetence. I really do. Particularly that AHL flunkie Ciamaga.

Comment

Nice weekend for the Tigers. 2nd place in the AHA by points percentage (which by the way Ed & Scott, uscho.com does have a column for already ).

By the way, how is the playoffs working? Do we stay in our pods until the finals? Or are all teams just going to be seeded 1-11 despite the schedule being almost entirely pod based?
                  Last edited by jflory81; 12-07-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I believe normal seeding 1-11, per Bob DeGregorio on the Inside Atlantic Hockey podcast from a few weeks ago (posted last week).
                    http://atlantichockeyonline.com/spor...11191121.aspx?
                    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                    Men's Frozen Four 2010
                    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                      I've been watching Tiger Hockey since 1972. Ive NEVER seen a game like this one. That the officials didn't know the shootout rule changed is embarrassing for Atlantic Hockey. Tomorrow's game should be intense as Niagara will be mightily PO'd having an OT game winner disallowed, then being told they had won after the first round of the shootout. Only to lose 2-1 after being called back to the ice when the officials finally realized their mistake.
                      I know this may not be a popular opinion but I really am willing to give the officials some slack on the debacle.

Now before get yelled at like I already did on Twitter. I certainly agree it's a bad look and the league is not going to be happy about it, I wouldn't expect them too. But as a long time umpire who has gotten up to Collegiate Summer & Fall Ball, I can actually understand giving the circumstances how this can happen.

Believe it or not officials do have rule mix up in their heads more often than you think. People just don't realize outside of officials working professional sports, most of these officials are working different levels and different leagues. For hockey, many of the officials we get also work Juniors, USA Hockey events, and even high school. Now I am not nearly as fluent in Hockey Rules that I am in Baseball, but I can tell you there are differences. A typical season for me starts mostly calling from the NFHS book, then moves to NCAA for College Summer Ball, then I mix that in with MUNY and AAABA (mostly MLB), Legion (NFHS), and tournaments that can be anything including OBR which don't even get me started on, and finally fishing with some NCAA fall ball.

All that aside I have not even brought up rule changes. Especially in this case as they clearly fall back to last years rule. Anyone who has spent anytime doing accident or human factor studies knows all to well that humans especially during times of fatigue or confusion can fall back on old procedures or ways. Like a tired referee at the end of a long game. It is known to happen, I've seen it happen to others and myself. Just normally it's not as obvious as it was on Saturday night. Many can thank their lucky stars they don't have an audience when they make a mistake at work. And after talking with a couple officiating buddies we all agree we'd rather make a procedural mistake like this that can be easily corrected vs. a bad call we can not change.

Now again, was it embarrassing, is the league not going to be happy, of course. But there is also one other factor, as we all know this is a year unlike any other. Trust me Covid has more of an effect on a game than just the players who can't play because they have the virus. Did the director of officials fail to talk about, probably not, did the officials not read about the change, I doubt that too. I think they were at the end of a long game, lots of other craziness going on and they just fall back on the old rule. Give them credit to get things right in the end. I just get a little tired of many who actually don't know the rules, some with mics at the game who don't even make an attempt to read or educate themselves criticizing officials on rules, when they get many wrong themselves and inform people incorrectly on the rule. I do have to mention how lucky we are on WITR to have Scott and Ed, I've actually seen them read the rules and they do their best to try and keep up with them.

What also bothers me as an official is the notion I have heard from some on Twitter that this cost Niagara the game. I find that argument, well very arguable. Both teams and goaltenders had the same amount of delay. Yeah Niagara went to the locker room which I thought was bad on them. There was some criticism about the end of the game for not lining up on the blueline. Well they didn't do after they thought they won too, just appear to get out of Dodge when they did seem to know something was up or they just forgot too. Not to mention that, ok maybe the goaltender tighten up cause in the locker room, for the couple of minutes I doubt that and he certainly could have ask the official for a few extra moments to stretch, any shooter too. I think most officials would give you some extra time since they just messed up. At most there was different emotions, toss a coin on that, not something you can control anyways, you have to deal with the situation as it is, both ways.

It is amazing to me, I have heard that same argument from RIT fans. Scapegoating is nothing new for an official to hear, but have we really come to a time when even the winning team finds the reason for the losing team. Scary...

Anyway, I just wanted you to consider what happen from a different point of view and I thank you for reading. I am not saying it is not an embarrassing mistake, we all make them in our lives. In fact I plan to use this as a teaching tool in our upcoming umpire classes for the local chapter her in Buffalo. One of these guys we all know is highly rated in the AHA and worked a the National Semifinal game. It can happen to anyone.
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                        Yeah Niagara went to the locker room which I thought was bad on them.
                        I actually think this is the biggest part. Their coach and to some extent their players should be aware. It's one thing for refs to be unaware, it's another thing for a coach, and for him to not say anything. He very well could have cost his team the game, because it allowed his players to change mentality, and then have to try to get back into it.

Comment

The problem is that this is not some arcane rule. It is a major rule change that was highlighted prominently in the rule book and in NCAA and league pre-season materials. (For example, this: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...lesChanges.pdf)

You can also download your own FREE copy of the NCAA rulebook here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-46...retations.aspx

As far as Niagara ... it would almost have been like saying, "Teacher, you forgot to assign homework!"

Comment

Our radio broadcasts will be back on WITR starting with Friday's game and should be carried on both WITR and Fox Sports 1280 WHTK for the rest of the season. In most cases, we'll have a pregame starting at 30 minutes past the hour preceding the start of the game (for example, 4:30 for a 5:05 start) and a postgame show and your phone calls at 585-222-1280 from the end of the game until the top of the hour (so a game ending at 7:15 would have the postgame show and phone calls/college hockey talk until 8:00).

On some nights, WHTK may have another live sports event leading into RIT hockey in which case WITR will carry the broadcast alone until the preceding event ends.

Places to listen

Radio: 89.7 FM and 1280 AM in the Rochester area
                            Online: https://witr.rit.edu/ and https://foxsports1280.iheart.com/
                            iOS/Android: TuneIn app (WITR) and iHeartRadio app (Fox Sports 1280)

Comment

Just in case anyone didn't see it, Thursday's game at Canisius has been postponed to an unknown date. Saturday's scheduled home game will be played Sunday. And RIT added a game at Colgate on December 29.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                              X