Hockey East 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Just realized Maine can't play UMass since neither is allowed to play a home game. Maybe they can meet in a neutral location!
    Why bother letting Maine play? I suppose they have a good goalie, after that? Nothing.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

...I covered the situation in some detail last year at the start of the "Effingwoods Hockey Almanac" thread...
      Didn't want to reopen your Effingwoods thread but couldn't help but note this quote in Post #10: "...Maybe it's a "Walker Holton thing" (BTW another Boston area guy I'd never taken past notice of)?..."

Actually, Walker Holton is anything but "another Boston area guy." In fact, he's a FLORIDA guy (Orlando, to be precise) who came up through the USA Hockey Officials Development Program (similar in purpose to the NTDP) and moved to New England to further his craft. And he's not the only "outsider." Dan Schachte brought in several out-of-area ODP products during his tenure. Walker Holton, IMO, is one of the better young referees in HEA. Doing well in the AHL too.
      Last edited by Split-N; 02-22-2021, 08:54 AM.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post

Great question... it really is a complete disgrace that the league is refusing to allow this formula to be released. At this point, I hope one of the member institutions that knows it leaks it out to someone. You do wonder if a math whiz could reverse engineer it via the changes that occur from one night to the next. Where's Patman?

The fact that they are adamant about not releasing it really raises questions about the leadership in the league office.
        Just looked at KRACH and here is order of HE teams:

1. BC
        2. BU
        3. UMass
        4. UConn
        5. Providence
        6. Northeastern
        7. UML
        8. Merrimack
        9. UNH
        10. Maine
        11. Vermont

The only difference with HEPI is Maine and UNH are flipped.

Comment

• Perhaps Maine is ahead of UNH in HEPI because they haven't played any home games?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Perhaps Maine is ahead of UNH in HEPI because they haven't played any home games?
            Like that matters this season, when every game is pretty much a neutral site game.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Like that matters this season, when every game is pretty much a neutral site game.
              Why is UNH not scheduled for any games this weekend?

edit: ok, now I see; UNH has played the most games at 21. But, UNH never got to play either BU or UVM this season.
              Last edited by Snively65; 02-23-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Why is UNH not scheduled for any games this weekend?
                The Hockey East Association announced today the following schedule update:

Upcoming Schedule:

Tuesday, February 23
                Massachusetts at Providence (Men) – 7:00 p.m.

Thursday, February 25
                Women’s Opening Round

#9 Holy Cross at #8 New Hampshire – 7:00 p.m.

Friday, February 26
                Merrimack at Boston University (Men) – 4:00 p.m.
                Maine at UConn (Men) – 4:00 p.m.
                UMass Lowell at Vermont (Men) – 7:00 p.m.
                Massachusetts at Boston College (Men) – 7:00 p.m. (NESN+)

Saturday, February 27
                Boston University at Merrimack (Men) – 4:00 p.m.
                Maine at UConn (Men) – 4:00 p.m.
                Providence at Northeastern (Men) - 4:30 p.m. (NESN)
                UMass Lowell at Vermont (Men) – 7:00 p.m.

Sunday, February 28
                Women’s Quarterfinals

#6 Boston University at #3 Providence – 1:00 p.m.
                #5 Maine at #4 Vermont – 2:00 p.m.
                #7 UConn at #2 Boston College - 4:30 p.m. (NESN)
                TBD at #1 Northeastern – 7:00 p.m. (NESN)

Northeastern at Providence (Men) – 7:00 p.m.

Comment

C'mon, Maine is a powerhouse.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• I'm not going to scroll through pages on this horribly slow website.

Assuming BU sweeps Merrimack, does BC need to beat UMass to win the conference? Boy would that be controversial.

Comment

• UMass chewing up Prov 8-1 halfway through the 3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        I'm not going to scroll through pages on this horribly slow website.

Assuming BU sweeps Merrimack, does BC need to beat UMass to win the conference? Boy would that be controversial.
                        Thought I read there will be no RS HE Champion this season?
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Thought I read there will be no RS HE Champion this season?
                          "At the conclusion of the regular season, the team with the highest Hockey East Power Index will be declared the 2020-21 Regular Season Champion and awarded the regular season trophy."

Comment

• I'm really interested in the mathematics behind HEPI. I don't have much data though. I took screenshots before and after today's UMass-PC game. I was wondering if it was a 0 sum game, as in if someone gains 0.3 HEPI, does that mean that some combination of teams lose 0.3 HEPI? I don't think it is. Unless they're rounding after each step (which is possible I suppose), the fluctuation from these three data points appears to be more than would be possible with rounding error.

UMass was the only team that gained anything from the win tonight (0.68 points). UML and UConn stayed the same. The other teams all lost points tonight. PC was the biggest loser at 0.83 points. The next biggest loser was Maine at 0.12 points. The other teams lost somewhere between 0.02 and 0.06 points. The sum of the absolute values of point differences is 1.86. I don't know if that's typical for a game or on the low end or the high end. Just figured I'd start a conversation if anyone else was interested in trying to figure out what is happening.

It's interesting to me that in this instance a loss at home penalized a team more than the reward for a win on the road. Maybe Maine is higher than UNH because they have no home losses? It's also interesting to me that this negatively impacted BC (-0.03) even though they are 2-0 against both teams. Would they have been negatively impacted regardless of the result? BU is 2-0 against UMass and 1-1 with a home loss against PC. They fell 0.06 points. Is that because their home loss to PC now has more of a negative impact which is not counteracted enough by a more positive impact the sweep of UMass should have?
                            #NewMass

Comment

I'm not going to scroll through pages on this horribly slow website.

Nobody really knows. While they aren't naming a RS champ, #1 seed still gets home ice in playoffs. So it's definitely something you want. There should still be games next weekend too so this is still TBD. I think there's a decent drop off between Lowell and Merrimack. After this UMass game, BC will have played 14 of 20 against top 7. BU will have played 7 of 13. Against top 4, BC 9 of 20. BU 5 of 13. I suppose that type of breakdown and the games played disparity could be "controversial" but it is what it is. York himself endorsed HEPI. All that really matters is BC is in position for the NCAA tournament. How much does home ice matter without fans? I have no idea. I actually have a bigger issue with single elimination QF round than HEPI.

Comment

"At the conclusion of the regular season, the team with the highest Hockey East Power Index will be declared the 2020-21 Regular Season Champion and awarded the regular season trophy."
                                Apparently that has been shot down by ADs in the league. That is according to Jim Connelly of USCHO. I have no idea why ADs would care about this issue but that's where we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X