Hockey East 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Talk is cheap - actions speak louder than words. The road to he11 is paved with good intentions.

Just another so-called leader who will back down at the slightest hint of turbulence.

If he was SO committed to making this happen, why not give it another shot next weekend?

It will have been more than two weeks' quarantine since the last student lockdown went in.

The "running out of season" thing is just another excuse, one I'm sure he'll use if put on the spot ...

As usual, Chuck, you display an astonishing ignorance of what’s actually happening at UNH, and a sad inability to see the big picture here. It’s faux-tough guy talk like this that brings morons like NetPres out to play.

here’s the simple deal...

1. Durham has 25% more NOMINAL active cases than the largest city in the state.
    2. Given that, the prevalence in the community is 6-7 times higher than ManchVegas. Not a good look, when....
    3. ....The president has had both the state government and the USNH Board of Trustees watching his every move, and the state of play at UNH, since he had the audacity to say he was going forward with opening the school in the fall of 2020.

As Drew says, the decision was easy.

You’d look so silly if ever forced to debate this situation with the “so-called leader”. Well, sillier than you already do.

Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Doubt the whole campus would want to be locked down an extra two weeks because a small percentage went to a hockey game. It's a very straightforward decision.
      Then why bring it up in the first place then? Was it sincere, or just an empty disingenuous pose?

And if we're to believe it was sincere ... why not revisit it again next weekend, or the next after?

That's a very straightforward set of questions, no??

Same question(s) to you too, 'dc ...
      Last edited by Chuck Murray; 02-20-2021, 09:24 PM.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Then why bring it up in the first place then? Was it sincere, or just an empty disingenuous pose?

And if we're to believe it was sincere ... why not revisit it again next weekend, or the next after?

That's a very straightforward set of questions, no??

Same question(s) to you too, 'dc ...
        Simple answer...

1. I heard about the plan in meetings the week of 1/25, when UNH had 39 positives, about the run rate from most of the fall semester.
        2. The following week, there were 85 positives, and the week of 2/8, 385 positives, as students returned
        3. The cases in Durham became THE serious outlier in a state that was otherwise finally seeing a material decline off the winter surge

making any other decision, with the state (and more importantly, Durham townspeople) watching, would have been sheer idiocy.

that’s my last breath on this topic. Please be a little more informed before making assumptions about leadership and someone’s integrity. Just makes you look like that grouchy old dude from UNH.

Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Mike McMahan tweeted that UMass can play home
          games starting 3/1 https://***********/mikemcmahonchn/s...428127747?s=21

Because the conference isn’t releasing the formula, will we even know if a team clinches home ice or a first round bye? Is it even possible to know?
          #NewMass

Comment

• If they all agreed on the formula I don't see the harm in releasing it. I wouldn't be sitting here making calculations based off projected results but would still be nice to see exactly what they decided on.

Haven't broken down every team but the only teams BC hasn't played multiple times are UVM and NU. It's expected that BC end with those opponents.

For BU, if the goal is to play everyone at least once, they could see:

NU
            UNH
            Lowell
            Merrimack

UMass has already played Providence twice so I'm not sure why they are playing on Tuesday. I think Maine is only team UMass hasn't played so I would look for that matchup.

All the teams being tested, is it possible BU squeezes in games against all 4 of those teams? With their lack of games I am not really sure why they haven't been playing midweek.

In any event it would seem highly unlikely that the top 3 isn't BC, BU and UMass and that 1-2 isn't BC/BU in some fashion as UMass is a combined 0-4 against them.

It would also seem unlikely that UML jumps 4-6, so I think UConn, Providence and NU will be battling for that last home ice QF game.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              If they all agreed on the formula I don't see the harm in releasing it. I wouldn't be sitting here making calculations based off projected results but would still be nice to see exactly what they decided on.

Haven't broken down every team but the only teams BC hasn't played multiple times are UVM and NU. It's expected that BC end with those opponents.

For BU, if the goal is to play everyone at least once, they could see:

NU
              UNH
              Lowell
              Merrimack

UMass has already played Providence twice so I'm not sure why they are playing on Tuesday. I think Maine is only team UMass hasn't played so I would look for that matchup.

All the teams being tested, is it possible BU squeezes in games against all 4 of those teams? With their lack of games I am not really sure why they haven't been playing midweek.

In any event it would seem highly unlikely that the top 3 isn't BC, BU and UMass and that 1-2 isn't BC/BU in some fashion as UMass is a combined 0-4 against them.

It would also seem unlikely that UML jumps 4-6, so I think UConn, Providence and NU will be battling for that last home ice QF game.
              Maybe BU doesn’t think playing in the middle of the week is worth the risk? I wonder if the way they view it is if they play one game in the middle of the week and the other team has a positive does that mean they then next miss the next two weekends? Just a thought.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• So it's up to BU to determine if they play midweek? I would imagine none of these teams really want to play midweek but it's still been happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                  Mike McMahan tweeted that UMass can play home

Because the conference isn’t releasing the formula, will we even know if a team clinches home ice or a first round bye? Is it even possible to know?
                  Great question... it really is a complete disgrace that the league is refusing to allow this formula to be released. At this point, I hope one of the member institutions that knows it leaks it out to someone. You do wonder if a math whiz could reverse engineer it via the changes that occur from one night to the next. Where's Patman?

The fact that they are adamant about not releasing it really raises questions about the leadership in the league office.
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Maybe not as simple as you would want us to believe, 'dc ...

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    Simple answer...

1. I heard about the plan in meetings the week of 1/25, when UNH had 39 positives, about the run rate from most of the fall semester.
                    2. The following week, there were 85 positives, and the week of 2/8, 385 positives, as students returned

(see below for context - CM)

3. The cases in Durham became THE serious outlier in a state that was otherwise finally seeing a material decline off the winter surge

making any other decision, with the state (and more importantly, Durham townspeople) watching, would have been sheer idiocy.

that's my last breath on this topic. Please be a little more informed before making assumptions about leadership and someone's integrity. Just makes you look like that grouchy old dude from UNH.
                    OK, so here's the numbers, and the timeline on when "fans in the stands" was briefly a thing ...

Week of 1/25/21: 39 cases
                    Week of 2/1/21: 85 cases (more than double)
                    Week of 2/8/21: 385 cases (more than quadruple)

So obviously, this was subject of discussion in late January, per your attribution.

Over the next week (ending 2/5/21), the amount of cases rises 156%, students are returning.

Word emerges on here (2/9) and in the Union Leader (2/10) of fans at The Whitt.

24 hours later (2/11) those plans are quickly scuttled due to a new "spike".

I guess that leaves us to believe that, already knowing the previous weeks' cases were up well over double, and with kids' ongoing returns to campus, UNH Admin let it leak out early in the week of 2/8/21 that they were planning to let students into the following weekend's home game ... until one (1) day later, already knowing there was an emerging "spike" the prior week, and with kids still returning to campus (shocking news), they decided to kill that story, right on the spot.

It doesn't take a genius (or as others on this thread have classified, Smart People Being Smart or SPBS) to see someone got cold feet in UNH Admin - and/or some negative blowback from Durham, Concord, other HEA schools and/or D-1 programs - which saw this possibility unceremoniously put down. Unless you choose to believe that SPBS in UNH Admin ignored their growing numbers AND the number of returning kids to try to be optimistic, when all the data was there to say otherwise.

You can believe it was all sincere, and vouch for someone's purported "integrity" all you want.

Given the timeline above, I'll say it was PHNBNSS (Pointy Headed Nerds Being Not So Smart).

So I'll stick with the "empty disingenuous pose", thank you very much. JMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                      Mike McMahan tweeted that UMass can play home

Because the conference isn't releasing the formula, will we even know if a team clinches home ice or a first round bye? Is it even possible to know?
                      I bet Mr. & Mrs. Commish Press Release know the formula.

If not them, then definitely the ref who's the 2nd in command at BC (Shea).

Comment

• Just realized Maine can't play UMass since neither is allowed to play a home game. Maybe they can meet in a neutral location!

Comment

I bet Mr. & Mrs. Commish Press Release know the formula.

If not them, then definitely the ref who's the 2nd in command at BC (Shea).
                          Heh is Kevin allowed to do BC games? Feel like I never see him. He's my dentist's brother!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Heh is Kevin allowed to do BC games? Feel like I never see him. He's my dentist's brother!
                            Doubt it. That would seem too obvious ... but then again, this is Hockey East.

I covered the situation in some detail last year at the start of the "Effingwoods Hockey Almanac" thread, which should now be on one of the first 2-3 pages of most recently posted to threads, due to an unrelated recent update. Got a lot of interesting feedback from a lot of folks, but I need to be very careful not to violate any of the confidences I agreed to in securing that information.

The extent of BC's penetration of the league's officials was stunning to me personally, considering that until recently, I always assumed it was Coach Parker who'd stitched up the HEA Officials most tightly.

It's still an open file, awaiting further new info. :-)

Comment

• If it makes you feel better I always hated seeing Bunyon for BC games. I think there's a BC connection there but he never showed it as far as I'm concerned. He was simply just inept.

Comment

• I noticed Atlantic Hockey is doing a best of 3 QF round. If they can do it, why not Hockey East? I know, too much to ask for a lot of people on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X