Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever that means. Another useless post from you!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I will ask this again, when is it ok to play? When COVID is gone? Check recent reporting on that and you will realize it's likely here to stay in some form just like the flu. When everyone is vaccinated? Just like how everyone gets the flu vaccine? Oh wait, that never happens. And even being vaccinated isn't fail proof. So in our current state, when will some of you be on board with playing?
      In our current state its not safe to play, so never? I'm not Carnac the Magnificent but I'm confident this won't go on forever but changes made to combat the virus will be with us for a long time.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• It's easy to say it won't go on forever. I just thought people saying they shouldn't be playing would have some type of idea as to when it would be ok.

Comment

It's easy to say it won't go on forever. I just thought people saying they shouldn't be playing would have some type of idea as to when it would be ok.
          I have a cruise bought and paid for, the cruise line is no longer taking any reservations into May. I'm assuming they know something. My reservation is in Sept, it got canceled last year and I doubt I'm on it this year. Also this cruise line already canceled all Alaskan cruises for 2021. Whats that tell you?

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

I have a cruise bought and paid for, the cruise line is no longer taking any reservations into May. I'm assuming they know something. My reservation is in Sept, it got canceled last year and I doubt I'm on it this year. Also this cruise line already canceled all Alaskan cruises for 2021. Whats that tell you?
            The government of Canada cancelled all cruises with over 100 passengers till 2022. That killed all the Alaska cruises for this year

Comment

Rates are already falling significantly as the vaccine is cutting off vectors. By June we should get close to having 60% of the population vaccinated or already immune, and about 75-80% (just ballparking) so by September we'll only see a few hundred outlier cases nationwide that are on the mild side. Like the exponential growth of the spring and winter, we'll have exponential decline.

Hang in there.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

That nobody can do anything until everyone on earth is vaccinated and there are zero COVID cases.

Comment

That nobody can do anything until everyone on earth is vaccinated and there are zero COVID cases.
                  Not everyone is going to get vaccinated and there will never be 0 Covid cases. Israel has been trying several drugs with great success for very sick covid patients.
                  https://www.israel21c.org/has-israel...ure-for-covid/ As the population of the world gets more and more out of control, get used to pandemics.

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
                    Ok Chuck, that's 12 guys who had individually unique injuries that drastically affected their careers over how many decades. And no, you couldn't double or triple it at the higher levels all those guys played at.
                    * Kris Draper (face to boards)
                    * Max Pacioretty (face to stanchion)
                    * Derek Boogard (CTE)
                    * Todd Ewen (CTE)
                    * Bob Probert (CTE)
                    * Borje Salming (skate to face)
                    * Travis Moen (skate to face)
                    * Jamie Heward (skate to face)
                    * Michael Ayers (UNH - skate to arm/wrist)
                    * Mark Howe (impaled by goal anchor)
                    * Gordie Howe (skull fracture head into boards)
                    * Trent McCleary (puck to throat)
                    * Richard Zednik (skate to throat)
                    * Adam Burish (skate to neck)
                    * Howie Morenz (shattered leg - died shortly after)
                    * Steve Moore (attacked by opponent)
                    * Eddie Shore (partially detached ear)
                    * Barry Cummins (stick to eye)
                    * Lou Fontinato (stupidly angered Gordie Howe)
                    * Eric Lindros (got on the wrong side of Scott Stevens)
                    * Richard Hollweg (stick to face at velocity)
                    * Rocket Richard (skull fracture - continued to play)
                    * Bernie Parent (eye injury despite mask)
                    * Valeri Kharlamov (hatchet/stick to ankle by Bobby Clarke)
                    * Paul Kariya (serious concussion w/LOC)
                    * Steve Yzerman (puck to eye/face)
                    * Nicklas Lidstrom (speared in a very sensitive area)
                    * Alexi Cherapanov (KHL death - cardiac arrest)
                    * Denis Sokolov (KHL death - carotid artery)

How'd I do? I can keep going if you want me to, but we're now up from "just" 12 to a total of 41 over the course of two days' worth of lists (only the second one lightly researched).

Dumb***. But we shall continue regardless ... now let's examine "irresponsibility", shall we?

Originally posted by net presence View Post
                    Yes, the sport has inherent physical dangers. We're looking at the possibility of hundreds of players at just the Junior, Collegiate, and Pro levels that could very well be affected in a significant, long-term way by post-Covid/Covid caused symptoms. We won't know the true results for likely 3-5 years. You're being fairly irresponsible in your dismissiveness.
                    So ... using your very imprecise and highly speculative wording, in which you're trying to foster general dread and fear, I guess that's just being on the "safe side" of things ... all while players miss important stretches of their careers to "save" them from something that won't affect 99+% of them, and won't have lasting effects (6 weeks?) on those who do get it?

Seems downright irresponsible to me. Not to mention arrogant, dictatorial, and a few others.

As I just said in my response to JD, I have an long time acquaintance with someone very high up in the Blackhawks organization and they have confirmed Toews issues are Covid related. And no, I'm not a cardiologist. However, according to Rossi's agent, he's been advised by the doctors he's seeing to avoid all activity for at least 6 weeks. That's a very common direction for those suffering with myocarditis.
                    I'm very impressed that you know the 'Hawks 'assistant equipment manager, but you did manage to bury the lede. Yes, you are not a cardiologist. Feel free to provide us an exhaustive list of "expert" cardiologists who are advocating for athletes to stay on the sidelines as you are advocating. Don't worry, we'll wait, there's not much else going on otherwise ...

Finally...wussification/wussies? Are you in junior high or what?
                    Own it, barnacle. You're the one constantly advocating for a danger-free existence. If people listened to you back in 1776, we'd still be paying taxes to Queen Elizabeth. This is real life, tomorrow is not guaranteed, to anyone. Man up, snowflake.

Maybe go "live on the edge" and have a pillow fight, willya?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Rates are already falling significantly as the vaccine is cutting off vectors. By June we should get close to having 60% of the population vaccinated or already immune, and about 75-80% (just ballparking) so by September we'll only see a few hundred outlier cases nationwide that are on the mild side. Like the exponential growth of the spring and winter, we'll have exponential decline.

Hang in there.
                      As usual, the voice of reason ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

* Kris Draper (face to boards)
                        * Max Pacioretty (face to stanchion)
                        * Derek Boogard (CTE)
                        * Todd Ewen (CTE)
                        * Bob Probert (CTE)
                        * Borje Salming (skate to face)
                        * Travis Moen (skate to face)
                        * Jamie Heward (skate to face)
                        * Michael Ayers (UNH - skate to arm/wrist)
                        * Mark Howe (impaled by goal anchor)
                        * Gordie Howe (skull fracture head into boards)
                        * Trent McCleary (puck to throat)
                        * Richard Zednik (skate to throat)
                        * Adam Burish (skate to neck)
                        * Howie Morenz (shattered leg - died shortly after)
                        * Steve Moore (attacked by opponent)
                        * Eddie Shore (partially detached ear)
                        * Barry Cummins (stick to eye)
                        * Lou Fontinato (stupidly angered Gordie Howe)
                        * Eric Lindros (got on the wrong side of Scott Stevens)
                        * Richard Hollweg (stick to face at velocity)
                        * Rocket Richard (skull fracture - continued to play)
                        * Bernie Parent (eye injury despite mask)
                        * Valeri Kharlamov (hatchet/stick to ankle by Bobby Clarke)
                        * Paul Kariya (serious concussion w/LOC)
                        * Steve Yzerman (puck to eye/face)
                        * Nicklas Lidstrom (speared in a very sensitive area)
                        * Alexi Cherapanov (KHL death - cardiac arrest)
                        * Denis Sokolov (KHL death - carotid artery)

How'd I do? I can keep going if you want me to, but we're now up from "just" 12 to a total of 41 over the course of two days' worth of lists (only the second one lightly researched).

Dumb*****. But we shall continue regardless ... now let's examine "irresponsibility", shall we?

So ... using your very imprecise and highly speculative wording, in which you're trying to foster general dread and fear, I guess that's just being on the "safe side" of things ... all while players miss important stretches of their careers to "save" them from something that won't affect 99+% of them, and won't have lasting effects (6 weeks?) on those who do get it?

Seems downright irresponsible to me. Not to mention arrogant, dictatorial, and a few others.

I'm very impressed that you know the 'Hawks 'assistant equipment manager, but you did manage to bury the lede. Yes, you are not a cardiologist. Feel free to provide us an exhaustive list of "expert" cardiologists who are advocating for athletes to stay on the sidelines as you are advocating. Don't worry, we'll wait, there's not much else going on otherwise ...

Own it, barnacle. You're the one constantly advocating for a danger-free existence. If people listened to you back in 1776, we'd still be paying taxes to Queen Elizabeth. This is real life, tomorrow is not guaranteed, to anyone. Man up, snowflake.

Maybe go "live on the edge" and have a pillow fight, willya?
                        Nice try Chuck. How many of those serious injuries prevented the player from returning to the game? That seemed to be the premise of your original list. Most of those added either returned to the game or, in the case of CTE, were diagnosed mainly after retirement. But, not shocking you would move your goalposts like that.

Unfortunately for our debate, I’m not willing to jeopardize the position I’ve attained in my 30 years of employment in direct management of our game at the Div. I level and above by naming my sources. Be they in the Blackhawks organization, the greater NHL, or various NCAA leagues, just to prove to some guy on a message board my bonafides are what I say they are. Suffice it to say that that position has put me in the middle of the very nuanced discussions at the league and national levels on the risks of attempting to play our sport at these levels in a Covid world, along with how best to manage those risks.

You just claimed that more than 99% of our athletes who ultimately become infected won’t ever be affected in the long term. Pretty bold statement from someone who hasn’t believed in the severity of the virus since it’s inception, nor the science around what the short and long-term damages might be. As for your “6 weeks” question; that’s the amount of time Rossi’s agent is saying he can’t do absolutely anything physical from an activity standpoint. No one mentioned anything about that being the only limitation his issues my create or, what the possible long-term effect those issues might create. At this point, the thinking is he should be able to return to normal activity but, more severe forms of myocarditis, even in younger adults, often takes a number of months to fully repair itself.

That, however, doesn’t mean he might not sustain some type of significant enough permanent damage to limit or cut his career short entirely. Thankfully, the Wild’s medical staff did a thorough enough cardiac work up to catch it. The problem is, the vast, vast majority of players who’ve been infected at the high school, junior, Div. III, minor pro, and even Div. I levels don’t have access to that type of cardio screening prior to returning to play. I’m not hiding in my basement Chuck. I’m currently sitting on a 737-900ER flying back home from another weekend involving our game. Fifth weekend out of the last 7. Do I like the fact I have to do this without a vaccine? No, I do not. But, I’m taking every possible precaution to maximize my percentage of safety.

Finally, if I was really worried about “danger-free existence”, I wouldn’t have spent over 20 years serving my country in a career field where I maintained equipment that had explosives on a daily basis. But hey, you just keep being you Chuck.

Comment

• You're either the Forrest Gump of USCHO, or producer of "My 30 Years In Hockey - The Musical".

Every time you volunteer more info about yourself, it validates my original decision to steer clear.

Taken at face value, you're very, very complicated. And I suspect that's an understatement ...

... so although I am not a physician, I shall take the position of "First, do no harm". Bye (again).

Comment

• Imagine that, the guy travels for work (allegedly). So he's getting on with his life while also taking precautions. I had him pegged for being in a bunker 24/7. Dedication to the cause and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Hang in there.
                              I'm not as optimistic as you on the dates as I watch how slowly the rollout in Maine is going. We can't even get the over 70s done. It has picked up but supplies of vaccine are still not there at times.

Comment

I'm not as optimistic as you on the dates as I watch how slowly the rollout in Maine is going. We can't even get the over 70s done. It has picked up but supplies of vaccine are still not there at times.
                                Same story here in MD. I'm Priority 1B but the state and county both claim not enough vaccine to go around. Same result for other 1B folks I know. Not sure what MA is doing but it seems to be way ahead of my state.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X