No announcement yet.

Hockey East 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was bad enough with the Florida hoops player. At least he HAD COVID. But now we're gonna blame all medical issues on COVID when we don't even know if a guy had COVID. Typical.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I agree it would be nice to have a normal night out, anywhere not just on Campus. If the people that wanted to go would keep their virus to themselves I'd be all for it. That doesn't seem to be the way this virus works. Do I think 500 fans in the whitt would be a so called " super spreader" event, probably not but not sure its worth the chance. BTW the ****ty comment goes for UMaine hockey also
      The idea that the virus can be contained or "kept to themselves" is a fantasy, Wally. The last year-plus has proven that, the best anyone can claim is to have slowed things down a bit. Now we have vaccines, and herd immunity to finish up the rest. Just as it always has in the past.

Do we really want to assign "blame" for something no one (or almost no one - I'm sure there's a handful of sociopaths out there who think this is all great fun) intends to inflict on someone else?

The Spanish Flu of 100 years ago was way worse than this, by any measure. Folks who'd just survived The Great War (a/k/a World War One) just buckled down and got on with life.

The Hong Kong Flu of 50 years ago was comparable numbers-wise (deaths) to the current one. Adults who'd survived WW2, the Korean conflict, and some who were just happy to return home alive from a tour of duty in Vietnam just buckled down and got on with life. Their kids (folks like you and me) weren't frightened to death by nightly TV coverage and life went on.

This time around, the large majority of "adults in the room" haven't experienced anything like WWI or WWII, so we don't truly understand what it means to be living in the shadow of death on a 24/7 basis. That makes us wimps by comparison to our forefathers (or is it "forepersons" these days?) with a low threshold for life-threatening circumstances, and we're the ones who laid the foundation for the current "Snowflake Generation" who tremble at the mere thought of human interaction (ick!!).

Risk tolerance in the young'uns of today is scary low, and there will be a price to pay in the future.

WWWT (What Would Walshy Think) if he were still alive? He never struck me as the meek sort ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        It was bad enough with the Florida hoops player. At least he HAD COVID. But now we're gonna blame all medical issues on COVID when we don't even know if a guy had COVID. Typical.
        Let's face it, and let's speak plainly, instead of beating around the bush. For some (not all) of a particular political persuasion, the Wuhan Flu a/k/a COVID has been the source of much enjoyment, allowing folks to dictate from a position of self-perceived virtue about how others should live their lives. It's like a party for them, and when you're at party and having fun, who ever wants the party to end? So we get "variants" and more masks, and when that's not enough, it's "triple masks".

And if someone else dares to do or think otherwise - like the folks in Florida, who are showing how overwrought so much of this has been - well, then they are to be mocked and villified. Even your buddy on this thread feels the urge to harpoon BC Athletics for the "crime" of its Football team doing better than most other similar-sized programs this past Fall.

I'll just leave it at that for now. I'm sure your buddy will be checking in any time now, JD.

I've given them all enough to chew on, at least for a few hours ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Due to league COVID-19 protocols, the women’s game between Boston College and Providence and the men’s game between UConn and Providence set for Saturday, February 13, will not be played as scheduled.

Hockey East Announces Schedule Update (February 13) - Hockey East Association (hockeyeastonline.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

This time around, the large majority of "adults in the room" haven't experienced anything like WWI or WWII, so we don't truly understand what it means to be living in the shadow of death on a 24/7 basis. That makes us wimps by comparison to our forefathers (or is it "forepersons" these days?) with a low threshold for life-threatening circumstances, and we're the ones who laid the foundation for the current "Snowflake Generation" who tremble at the mere thought of human interaction (ick!!).

Risk tolerance in the young'uns of today is scary low, and there will be a price to pay in the future.

WWWT (What Would Walshy Think) if he were still alive? He never struck me as the meek sort ...
            Walshy would depend on, free cookies for all or after the NCAA punishment.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              I don't recall the last time I talked about the risks involved for athletes. I have fully acknowledged there are risks involved. Much like a lot of other things in this thing called life. I'm just not gonna demand everything be shut down until every single person on earth is vaccinated. If a hockey player/family doesn't want to play because they could possibly get COVID, they don't have to play. Unbelievable that this is still a conversation a year later but go on, keep spreading your lies to exaggerate your point. Such as linking Jonathan Toews to COVID when it hasn't even been announced he ever had COVID. Just like the Florida basketball player, morons like you have to blame everything on COVID even if you're proven wrong.

Believe it or not, I know someone fairly high up in their organization and that's what that individual told me. I'm quite confident my source knows what they're talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Here's an off-the-top-of-my-head list of "significantly negative outcomes" for hockey players ...

* Travis Roy
                * Joe Exter
                * Bill Masterton
                * Jiri Fischer
                * Norm Leveille
                * Clint Malarchuk
                * Marc Savard
                * Ted Green
                * Donald Brashear
                * Brian Berard
                * Ace Bailey
                * Ian Laperriere

You know, I could easily double or triple the size of that list if I researched it. But you mention one (1) kid who's missing one (1) season, another that JD has already pointed out is unconfirmed (Toews - and that's being charitable) ... and your speculation about rampant future "cardiac episodes" to keep folks suitably buttoned up. BTW - when did you become a cardiologist? You're the "expert" guy, no??

Hockey is a very demanding and dangerous sport, played by some of the fittest athletes in the world.

We'll know the wussification of America is complete when your ilk kills it off in the cause of "safety" ...

Ok Chuck, that's 12 guys who had individually unique injuries that drastically affected their careers over how many decades. And no, you couldn't double or triple it at the higher levels all those guys played at. Yes, the sport has inherent physical dangers. We're looking at the possibility of hundreds of players at just the Junior, Collegiate, and Pro levels that could very well be affected in a significant, long-term way by post-Covid/Covid caused symptoms. We won't know the true results for likely 3-5 years. You're being fairly irresponsible in your dismissiveness.

As I just said in my response to JD, I have an long time acquaintance with someone very high up in the Blackhawks organization and they have confirmed Toews issues are Covid related. And no, I'm not a cardiologist. However, according to Rossi's agent, he's been advised by the doctors he's seeing to avoid all activity for at least 6 weeks. That's a very common direction for those suffering with myocarditis.

Finally...wussification/wussies? Are you in junior high or what?

Comment

• Chuck...it's ok. It's just very obvious you aren't a very intelligent person. Not all of us were gifted with the same level of that trait.

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
                    looking at the possibility of hundreds of players at just the Junior, Collegiate, and Pro levels that could very well be affected in a significant, long-term way by post-Covid/Covid caused symptoms. We won't know the true results for likely 3-5 years. ?
                    Couldn't you substitute concussions for Covid above?

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post

Believe it or not, I know someone fairly high up in their organization and that's what that individual told me. I'm quite confident my source knows what they're talking about.
                      Hahahahaha oh of course you do!

Comment

Yep. You absolutely can.

Comment

Not unless concussions become infectious.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post

Not unless concussions become infectious.
                            He was talking about long term issues. But I see your point which is why I would have canceled the season. I don't see hockey as essential so to be consistent with policy it shouldn't be played.
                            Last edited by walrus; 02-14-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• I will ask this again, when is it ok to play? When COVID is gone? Check recent reporting on that and you will realize it's likely here to stay in some form just like the flu. When everyone is vaccinated? Just like how everyone gets the flu vaccine? Oh wait, that never happens. And even being vaccinated isn't fail proof. So in our current state, when will some of you be on board with playing?

Comment

• Must suck to be wired that way....
                                $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                                Just win.....

Comment

Working...
                                X