X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    NCAA announces health and safety plans for all other winter championships

Following the recent announcement of health and safety protocols for the Division I Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships, the NCAA has announced protocols for its remaining winter championships.

“This is the next step in being able to have our student-athletes compete for national championships in the safest manner possible,” said Dr. Brian Hainline, the NCAA’s chief medical officer. “These protocols have been put in place after extensive discussion with some of the leading members of the medical and scientific community who have the utmost expertise in public health and COVID-19.”

The first portion of the plan calls for all rounds of the winter championships to be held at predetermined sites, rather than at traditional sites that are not predetermined. Bids for predetermined preliminary rounds will be accepted now through Jan. 25, with the host sites to be announced the week of Feb. 8. For championships that typically have predetermined sites that have previously been announced, those sites will continue to host as long as local public health authorities determine it is safe to do so.

Previously, Division I announced its fall championships will be held in the spring, while Divisions II and III canceled all fall championships. The process to assign predetermined sites for all rounds of Division I and National Collegiate fall sport championships will be held in early February.

The Return to Championships Guidelines have been finalized for all sports and are located here. These documents have been prepared such that each sport will be able to select the appropriate guidelines for each championship event based on guidance/direction from the NCAA COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group, along with local and state oversight at the site of the preliminary and final rounds of the championship event.

The documents are intended to be consistent with guidance published by the federal government and its corresponding health agencies and otherwise reflective of the best available scientific and medical information. These documents will be used in coordination with applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and guidelines. The documents are subject to further revisions as available COVID-19 data and information continue to emerge and evolve.

Finally, Diamond Health/Vivature Inc. has been selected as the testing provider for all championships other than Division I basketball. Based in Dallas, Diamond Health and Vivature serve more than 400 colleges and universities with technology and administrative services, including COVID-19 testing. They will be responsible for both PCR and antigen testing at the championship sites.

“The sports committees and our staff have committed since last March to provide the leadership and guidance to restart our championships. We are pleased to arrive at this critical step, which is announcing protocols to host national championships,” NCAA Senior Vice President of Championships Joni Comstock said. “In less than two months, it is our plan to conduct NCAA championships for the first time in a year. We have placed health and safety at the forefront of every decision to protect our student-athletes, coaches and fans to the best of our ability in the championship events.”

No final decisions have been made in regard to fans at any of the championships.

LINK: https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/artic...-championships
    So now we wait for word on how teams will be selected for the tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

So now we wait for word on how teams will be selected for the tournament
      I wish they would always pick the tournament champions league style and then have a couple at large bids. It would make the season much more exciting.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• I see what you're saying. You would have to factor in strength of the league. So for example, say Hockey East was alloted 4, the WCHA might get 2. But if you do it that way it totally devalues non conference play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
          The only reason I mentioned the UNH title was because that's the team I follow and that's the first one that came to mind. Back then it seemed everyone made their own schedule, played who they wanted and however many games they wanted.

And they may have been the Dark Ages but having to earn your way into the playoffs wasn't a bad thing.
          OK then we agree on this. The CHDA ("Dark Ages") reference was a term used by some of the old-timers on the board in the past when referencing the college hockey landscape pre-Hockey East, or maybe pre-Miracle on Ice, or thereabouts. It was a term of affection, not derision. I suspect once NCAA Hoops "March Madness" started to take off in the 1980's, it was hard for other NCAA sports not to try to mimic their blueprint for the runaway success that eventually became.

Let's face it, even NCAA Football and the current D-1 playoff system - which had to come with some cooperation from the successful bowl situation that preceded it - has followed the Hoops blueprint, but Football's "Dark Ages" arguably lasted even longer than the pre-HEA "Dark Ages", and to some degree continue to this day. Only four (4) teams qualify for the Football tourney, which sounds a lot like the NCAA Hockey field during the CHDA, doesn't it? And consider there are 120 D-1 football schools total. NCAA Hockey has a 16 team field for roughly half as many D-1 schools. So you know where Football is going.

I've always felt making the playoffs should be something more than having an above .500 record, but overall trends in college and pro sports keep eroding that precept, in search of the almighty dollar. I'm not a fan of it, but then again, no one asks me.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I see what you're saying. You would have to factor in strength of the league. So for example, say Hockey East was alloted 4, the WCHA might get 2. But if you do it that way it totally devalues non conference play.
            That’s why you would have a couple at large bids. There needs to be a lot bigger premium on conference play and if you used a champions league format teams would have a lot better idea where they stand.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• UMass-PC cancelled per a tweet from Hockey East. Probably means either UMass-BU or PC-Maine series not happening this weekend, depending on why the game today was cancelled.
              #NewMass

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                UMass-PC cancelled per a tweet from Hockey East. Probably means either UMass-BU or PC-Maine series not happening this weekend, depending on why the game today was cancelled.
                Maine at Vermont women's series was also canceled for this weekend.
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• UMass is set to play PC on 1/22 and 1/23. I don't see why this midweek game was ever on the schedule to begin with.

Comment

• Those other games you mentioned are still mentioned as being played this weekend. That leads me to believe this game today was not canceled due to a COVID problem but that it was deemed unnecessary. If the game today was called because of COVID I would think that same press release they issued would announce the cancelation of the other games. But as I keep saying, there is zero transparency from the league.

Comment

Those other games you mentioned are still mentioned as being played this weekend. That leads me to believe this game today was not canceled due to a COVID problem but that it was deemed unnecessary. If the game today was called because of COVID I would think that same press release they issued would announce the cancelation of the other games. But as I keep saying, there is zero transparency from the league.
                      Vermont women posted it to IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ_jBOlA...=12yc2ioh3c54t
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• I'm not talking about the Vermont women

Comment

• http://hockeyeastonline.com/articles...january-13.php

The men's series' he mentioned are still scheduled.

Comment

• PC men's hockey just tweeted they are back in action this weekend against Maine

Comment

• If there was a COVID issue with UMass there is no chance BU would allow them to set foot in WBA for at least a month

Comment

• Honestly I wouldn’t blame BU if that is the case.

UMass wrote an email to season ticket holders saying the games for this weekend are still on for now. If they are canceling because the two are playing in two weeks I think it’s short sighted. Who know whether either of those schools will actually be able to play in two weeks?

Also, did they just wake up this morning and figure out they were playing in two weeks? Seems really strange to me.
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X