Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Schlossman, UND reporter, wrote that NCAA is still planning on NCAA tournament which includes the current 4 regional setup provided those local areas allow it to take place. Also said with the PWR non existent this year, a selection process is still in the works. Paraphrasing but that is the jist. Seems to me like we don't need a 16 team field this year but we'll see how this unfolds.

Comment

• I suppose a starting point would be auto bids for whoever leagues determine to be regular season champions/#1 seed and then auto bids for tournament champions as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        I suppose a starting point would be auto bids for whoever leagues determine to be regular season champions/#1 seed and then auto bids for tournament champions as well.
        Agree with the overall starting concept ... but determining a RS "champion" is not only going to be challenging, but could lead to some scheduling hanky-panky down the stretch.

Example: imagine School X is in first place going into the final weekend of RS play ... and the only way School Y can catch them is not only to win School Y's own game(s), but also to get some "help" from another school taking points from School X. School X takes a long hard look at things ... one or two kids report positive tests, giving School X an excuse to "pull the plug" on their final weekend, salting away the RS "title" for School X, leaving School Y out in the cold to win their league tourney.

We really can't get to the end of this crap soon enough ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Brad Schlossman, UND reporter, wrote that NCAA is still planning on NCAA tournament which includes the current 4 regional setup provided those local areas allow it to take place. Also said with the PWR non existent this year, a selection process is still in the works. Paraphrasing but that is the jist. Seems to me like we don't need a 16 team field this year but we'll see how this unfolds.
          I think that’s pretty meaningless. I doubt we will know much either way until March.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Agree with the overall starting concept ... but determining a RS "champion" is not only going to be challenging, but could lead to some scheduling hanky-panky down the stretch.

Example: imagine School X is in first place going into the final weekend of RS play ... and the only way School Y can catch them is not only to win School Y's own game(s), but also to get some "help" from another school taking points from School X. School X takes a long hard look at things ... one or two kids report positive tests, giving School X an excuse to "pull the plug" on their final weekend, salting away the RS "title" for School X, leaving School Y out in the cold to win their league tourney.

The realistic thing to do is come out and say that since this year is so out of whack with no balanced schedule, no teams playing the same amount of games, etc. that there will not be a regular season Hockey East title awarded. They will use the regular season/coaches polls to determine HE tournament and that winner goes to NCAAs. Not perfect but probably the most realistic and fair method.

Comment

• With regard to the balanced schedule discussion, was college hockey so bad back in the 1970's when nobody played a balanced schedule or an equal number of games and winning percentage determined seeding? Asking my fellow UNH fans if we should renounce the '79 title because of that?
              Last edited by Felger; 01-12-2021, 10:44 AM.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                With regard to the balanced schedule discussion, was college hockey so bad back in the 1970's when nobody played a balanced schedule or an equal number of games and winning percentage determined seeding? Asking my fellow UNH fans if we should renounce the '79 title because of that?
                Help me out here, Felgie. UNH won the ECAC Tourney that year - I was there, it was my first in-person UNH game, and we actually won a big postseason game to celebrate the occasion. Are you saying that UNH shouldn't have been in that game? Or are you just saying that back in the CHDA (College Hockey Dark Ages) there were no balanced schedules, so no big deal with the current scenario?

I honestly don't recall the RS backstory on that season, so I'm asking in good faith here ... as a general rule, I enjoyed sports much more back in the day when coverage was less saturated, and everything seemed more spontaneous. I think someone quoted Bob Norton once about eventually becoming bored with the routines of sports, I didn't understand then, but I do now.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think that’s pretty meaningless. I doubt we will know much either way until March.
                  I wouldn't say meaningless. Obviously they're gonna drag this out as long as possible but with a vaccine out there now, do you think things will finally start to look a little better in March? We'll be removed from the holiday COVID crisis as well. To be honest I am just surprised the NCAA hasn't abandoned the normal format. They still might but I was not expecting a 4 regional tournament this year.

Comment

• And to be clear, I don't really care if there is an official RS champion. I just meant using #1 seeds as a way of determining which teams make NCAA tournament. Who the hell knows though. Last I saw Hockey East was still looking into how they will seed the tournament.

Comment

• New Hockey East press release. Lowell no longer scheduled vs BU. UMass will now face BU this weekend.
                      What did you say?
                      Who own the Chiefs?
                      What did he say?
                      Owns! Owns!

Comment

• BC gets NU now instead of UMass

Comment

Help me out here, Felgie. UNH won the ECAC Tourney that year - I was there, it was my first in-person UNH game, and we actually won a big postseason game to celebrate the occasion. Are you saying that UNH shouldn't have been in that game? Or are you just saying that back in the CHDA (College Hockey Dark Ages) there were no balanced schedules, so no big deal with the current scenario?

I honestly don't recall the RS backstory on that season, so I'm asking in good faith here ... as a general rule, I enjoyed sports much more back in the day when coverage was less saturated, and everything seemed more spontaneous. I think someone quoted Bob Norton once about eventually becoming bored with the routines of sports, I didn't understand then, but I do now.
                          This.

The only reason I mentioned the UNH title was because that's the team I follow and that's the first one that came to mind. Back then it seemed everyone made their own schedule, played who they wanted and however many games they wanted.

And they may have been the Dark Ages but having to earn your way into the playoffs wasn't a bad thing.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• NCAA announces health and safety plans for all other winter championships

Following the recent announcement of health and safety protocols for the Division I Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships, the NCAA has announced protocols for its remaining winter championships.

“This is the next step in being able to have our student-athletes compete for national championships in the safest manner possible,” said Dr. Brian Hainline, the NCAA’s chief medical officer. “These protocols have been put in place after extensive discussion with some of the leading members of the medical and scientific community who have the utmost expertise in public health and COVID-19.”

The first portion of the plan calls for all rounds of the winter championships to be held at predetermined sites, rather than at traditional sites that are not predetermined. Bids for predetermined preliminary rounds will be accepted now through Jan. 25, with the host sites to be announced the week of Feb. 8. For championships that typically have predetermined sites that have previously been announced, those sites will continue to host as long as local public health authorities determine it is safe to do so.

Previously, Division I announced its fall championships will be held in the spring, while Divisions II and III canceled all fall championships. The process to assign predetermined sites for all rounds of Division I and National Collegiate fall sport championships will be held in early February.

The Return to Championships Guidelines have been finalized for all sports and are located here. These documents have been prepared such that each sport will be able to select the appropriate guidelines for each championship event based on guidance/direction from the NCAA COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group, along with local and state oversight at the site of the preliminary and final rounds of the championship event.

The documents are intended to be consistent with guidance published by the federal government and its corresponding health agencies and otherwise reflective of the best available scientific and medical information. These documents will be used in coordination with applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and guidelines. The documents are subject to further revisions as available COVID-19 data and information continue to emerge and evolve.

Finally, Diamond Health/Vivature Inc. has been selected as the testing provider for all championships other than Division I basketball. Based in Dallas, Diamond Health and Vivature serve more than 400 colleges and universities with technology and administrative services, including COVID-19 testing. They will be responsible for both PCR and antigen testing at the championship sites.

“The sports committees and our staff have committed since last March to provide the leadership and guidance to restart our championships. We are pleased to arrive at this critical step, which is announcing protocols to host national championships,” NCAA Senior Vice President of Championships Joni Comstock said. “In less than two months, it is our plan to conduct NCAA championships for the first time in a year. We have placed health and safety at the forefront of every decision to protect our student-athletes, coaches and fans to the best of our ability in the championship events.”

No final decisions have been made in regard to fans at any of the championships.

LINK: https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/artic...-championships
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

BC gets NU now instead of UMass
                              Presumably Levi vs Knight redux. In simpler times, both games would surely be sellouts. But as a consolation prize, both games apparently will be carried by NESN.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Like on 28 September 1941 when Joe Cronin gave Teddy Ballgame the option to sit out the last two meaningless games against the Philadelphia Athletics to preserve a 0.400 batting average for the season? :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X