Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm scratching my head; how can Maine at 3-9-1 have a higher HEPI than Merrimack at 5-11-1? Maine has beaten UConn, PC and a moribund UVM team, while Merrimack has wins over UMass, PC, BU and 2 over a down UNH Team. REALLY smacks of "winging it".
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

• Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
      I'm scratching my head; how can Maine at 3-9-1 have a higher HEPI than Merrimack at 5-11-1? Maine has beaten UConn, PC and a moribund UVM team, while Merrimack has wins over UMass, PC, BU and 2 over a down UNH Team. REALLY smacks of "winging it".
      Maine is now 3-10-1 and behind Merrimack. Maine also has had no home games so who knows if home / away are weighted somewhat differently in whatever the formula is.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Maine is now 3-10-1 and behind Merrimack. Maine also has had no home games so who knows if home / away are weighted somewhat differently in whatever the formula is.
        Of course, Hockey East won't release the formula to the public because that would MAKE SENSE!
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• So UMass can play at home next weekend? If that's the case the only team they haven't played is Maine. And the only team BC hasn't played is UVM. Seems like easy scheduling decisions...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            So UMass can play at home next weekend? If that's the case the only team they haven't played is Maine. And the only team BC hasn't played is UVM. Seems like easy scheduling decisions...
            I doubt Commish Press Release will care about UMass and/or BC scheduling "logic" when:

* UVM has only played against six (6) of their 10 potential HEA rivals
            * BU has only played against seven (7) of their 10 potential HEA rivals

FWIW Part Two - UNH hasn't played a single game against either UVM or BU so far SO ...

... using HEA scheduling logic, UNH will be playing BC on Friday, and UMass on Sunday

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Right but I would think they can make it work in both ways. For example, UNH playing BU. Guy who told me BC would be playing single game against UMass is saying BC will either be playing NU for one at home or two against UVM at home. UVMs last six games have been at home.

With the seeding coming into focus now and all teams playing, this has to be their most challenging scheduling decision. Not just opponents but again with the odd # of teams. Does PC not play at all since they will have 22 games after tonight?

Comment

• At the same time, BU-UML probably makes more sense to get those teams more games. Where as maybe UNH only plays one game against someone else. Time to pick out of a hat.

Comment

• Has anyone thought of what happens if a team gets a positive test during the Hockey East Tournament and needs to take a break? Do they forfeit? Would be a ****ty way to lose, and not that great of a way to win either TBH.
                  #NewMass

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                    Has anyone thought of what happens if a team gets a positive test during the Hockey East Tournament and needs to take a break?
                    I haven't given it the slightest bit of thought until now. I'm sure Zlax has, though ...

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                    Do they forfeit?
                    I would imagine so.

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                    Would be a ****ty way to lose, and not that great of a way to win either TBH.
                    Honestly, the time for "breaks" is over - barring extreme circumstances (and nothing we've seen yet in 2021 has hit that threshold). The season is over in a matter of days for most teams by then, and a week or two, maybe three for a small handful of teams. There will be no spectators I'm assuming.

So, virtue signaling aside ... why exactly would there "need" to be a "break"?!?!?
                    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 03-02-2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                      Has anyone thought of what happens if a team gets a positive test during the Hockey East Tournament and needs to take a break? Do they forfeit? Would be a ****ty way to lose, and not that great of a way to win either TBH.
                      I don’t think the tournament is that meaningful this year with everything going on. If teams have to forfeit it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I don't think the tournament is that meaningful this year with everything going on. If teams have to forfeit it wouldn't be the end of the world.
                        Maybe that's how you feel as a "fan", but let's not confuse that for how players and coaches are going to feel about it. And I guarantee you, if any team feels even remotely the way you do about it, it will be very apparent, and they will lose (and likely badly) very early in the tourney.

For what it's worth, based on comments from players and coaches alike in recent weeks, I expect one of those "Gosh ain't we lucky to just be here, no big whoop" flameouts to be UNH.

Comment

• I agree with Chuck on this one. I think the players care. Think of all they sacrificed for this season. All the testing and restrictions and social distancing. Covid has taken away everything from them that would usually be fun about college. Even if it happens to a team that I don’t particularly like Im going to be heartbroken for anyone who needs to forfeit.

Also as a fan of a team who has never won a conference tournament but has a shot this season, I’d feel cheated if UMass got the autobid based on a forfeit. I’d rather them win it on the ice.

I hope it doesn’t happen. If it does and they can’t reschedule, then I hope they reseed so the highest remaining team gets a bye.
                          #NewMass

Comment

• BC declined to play in a bowl game this year. I’m sure that there are a lot of mixed emotions for players and coaches. There definitely are some want to win and there are likely quite a few who just want it to be over with. There is no right or wrong way to feel on this one.

For whoever does win I don’t think it will ever be viewed as the same as winning a trophy in a normal year, and that must factored in some.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• A lot of these players lost the chance at a national title last year. So ya this means a lot to them. Doesn't really matter how fans view this year.

Comment

• As a BC fan, declining to play in a middling bowl game is not the same as being able to compete for a national championship. One of the biggest things about a bowl game is the stuff you get to do off the field during bowl week. That wasn't an option this year.

As for potential positive tests during tournament play, whoever tests positive is out. But if enough guys are testing negative leading up to the game you play the game. Some people on here will have a heart attack after reading that take but that's how I feel.

It won't be exactly the same as winning in a normal year but let's say a team like UND wins. I won't hold it against them. They were supposed to be a great team and have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X