Hockey East 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Actually, they are not "aping" soccer, as during the regular season, and usually round robin play in tournaments, soccer games end as ties after regulation. It is only when soccer games get to tournament single game knockout rounds that extra time and then shootouts are used.

Sean
    Well Sean, you have laid bare my almost total lack of soccer knowledge, though in my defense I'd note that the youth leagues in my neck of the woods seem enamored by OT penalty kicks. The rest of the quote stands, especially the part about 3-on-3 and shootouts being #NotHockey
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I've posted this before, but counting only regular season games between the start of the 2012-13 season and the end of last season between 10.6% (2018-19) and 13.8% (2015-16) of games have been ties, with an average of 12.1%. Back in the eighties the first two seasons after overtime was shortened to 5 minutes 5.4% and 6.3% of games were ties, and for 2 of the last 3 seasons of 10 minute overtimes just 3.2% and 3.9% of games were ties.

Sean
      Given the parity in the league that sounds pretty reasonable to me. If you have teams that are similar to each other playing a low scoring game you should have a decent number of ties. In a year that is only two or three per team on average which I don't think is too many.

The league needs to get back to fundamentals. Have reasonably priced tickets, easy parking, and decent concessions. Have rules and standings that are easy to understand for the casual fan. Another thing that would be nice to see is that instead of three stoppages per period just have one and make it a little longer, at least for games that aren't being televised. It almost seems like year after year they make small changes that continue to send the league the wrong way.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Maine is done until Feb 4th
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I've posted this before, but counting only regular season games between the start of the 2012-13 season and the end of last season between 10.6% (2018-19) and 13.8% (2015-16) of games have been ties, with an average of 12.1%. Back in the eighties the first two seasons after overtime was shortened to 5 minutes 5.4% and 6.3% of games were ties, and for 2 of the last 3 seasons of 10 minute overtimes just 3.2% and 3.9% of games were ties.

Sean
          It was a higher scoring game back in the day, more wide open, less defensive-system oriented.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Actually, they are not "aping" soccer, as during the regular season, and usually round robin play in tournaments, soccer games end as ties after regulation. It is only when soccer games get to tournament single game knockout rounds that extra time and then shootouts are used.

Sean
            Yup. If anything, they're trying to distance themselves from soccer. The view from this side of the pond has always tended to be that there are "too many ties" in soccer. Not shocking, though, it is a lower-scoring sport in general than hockey is, even modern-day hockey.

I've said before, and I'll say it again ... if you want to "solve" the "problem" with too many ties in hockey, make a win worth 3 points, ties worth 1 point, and zip for a loss. Skip OT except for the playoffs. THAT would be "aping" soccer as it is played in the biggest leagues in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Given the parity in the league that sounds pretty reasonable to me. If you have teams that are similar to each other playing a low scoring game you should have a decent number of ties. In a year that is only two or three per team on average which I don't think is too many.

The league needs to get back to fundamentals. Have reasonably priced tickets, easy parking, and decent concessions. Have rules and standings that are easy to understand for the casual fan. Another thing that would be nice to see is that instead of three stoppages per period just have one and make it a little longer, at least for games that aren't being televised. It almost seems like year after year they make small changes that continue to send the league the wrong way.
              Every Hockey East game Men and Women is broadcasted either online or on cable so not going to get rid of the media timeouts.
              Last edited by The Zlax45; 01-26-2021, 01:53 AM.
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                It was a higher scoring game back in the day, more wide open, less defensive-system oriented.
                True, but the gap between the top teams and bottom teams was also much larger. Here are the goal differential percentages for games from select seasons:
                Code:
                GD  2017-18  1998-99  1984-85  1975-76
                0    10.3%     9.0%     3.8%     3.3%
                1    30.8%    29.3%    27.7%    25.2%
                2    21.3%    20.0%    18.0%    19.3%
                3    16.2%    14.5%    15.4%    15.7%
                4    10.3%     9.8%    10.5%    12.2%
                5+    7.5%    13.6%    21.7%    23.6%
                As can be seen the number of ties tripled, 1 goal games increased by 20%, while 2, 3 and 4 goal games remained about the same. However, 5+ goal games dropped by 2/3rds.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

Comment

• HOCKEY EAST ANNOUNCES SCHEDULE UPDATES (JANUARY 26)
                  Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2021
                  WAKEFIELD, Mass. - The Hockey East Association announced today the following schedule update:

Upcoming Schedule:

Tuesday, January 26
                  UConn at Northeastern (Women) - 5:00 p.m. (NESN+)

Friday, January 29
                  UConn at Merrimack (Men) - 3:00 p.m.
                  Boston College at Boston University (Women) – 3:30pm (NESN, TSN2)
                  Merrimack at Northeastern (Women) – 4:30 p.m. (NESN+)
                  New Hampshire at Providence (Women) – 6:00 p.m.
                  Boston University at Boston College (Men) – 6:00 p.m. (NESN)
                  Providence at New Hampshire (Men) – 7:00 p.m. (NESN+)
                  UMass Lowell at Massachusetts (Men) – 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 30
                  Boston University at Boston College (Women) – 3:00 p.m. (NESN)
                  Merrimack at UConn (Men) - 3:00 p.m.
                  Northeastern at Merrimack (Women) - 4:00 p.m.
                  Boston College at Boston University (Men) – 6:00 p.m.
                  Massachusetts at UMass Lowell (Men) – 7:00 p.m.
                  Providence at New Hampshire (Women) – 7:00 p.m.

Sunday, January 31
                  New Hampshire at Providence (Men) – 3:30 p.m. (NESN)

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    HOCKEY EAST ANNOUNCES SCHEDULE UPDATES (JANUARY 26)
                    Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2021
                    WAKEFIELD, Mass. - The Hockey East Association announced today the following schedule update:

Upcoming Schedule:

Tuesday, January 26
                    UConn at Northeastern (Women) - 5:00 p.m. (NESN+)

Friday, January 29
                    UConn at Merrimack (Men) - 3:00 p.m.
                    Boston College at Boston University (Women) – 3:30pm (NESN, TSN2)
                    Merrimack at Northeastern (Women) – 4:30 p.m. (NESN+)
                    New Hampshire at Providence (Women) – 6:00 p.m.
                    Boston University at Boston College (Men) – 6:00 p.m. (NESN)
                    Providence at New Hampshire (Men) – 7:00 p.m. (NESN+)
                    UMass Lowell at Massachusetts (Men) – 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 30
                    Boston University at Boston College (Women) – 3:00 p.m. (NESN)
                    Merrimack at UConn (Men) - 3:00 p.m.
                    Northeastern at Merrimack (Women) - 4:00 p.m.
                    Boston College at Boston University (Men) – 6:00 p.m.
                    Massachusetts at UMass Lowell (Men) – 7:00 p.m.
                    Providence at New Hampshire (Women) – 7:00 p.m.

Sunday, January 31
                    New Hampshire at Providence (Men) – 3:30 p.m. (NESN)
                    Only 3 women's series this weekend....

Comment

• I'm devastated by that. What is the latest on mask wearing?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        I'm devastated by that. What is the latest on mask wearing?
                        ROFLMAO (a big one back when the Internet started)

Comment

• BU Athletics is now paused through the end of the week at least

https://goterriers.com/news/2021/1/2...ide-pause.aspx

Comment

• That release makes it seem like they are talking about a rise in cases from kids returning to campus? And not even specifically about athletics? If so how about BU just calls it a season.

Comment

• I need Greg Carvel's thoughts

Comment

• BULLETIN: BC at Northeastern on Tues., Feb. 2, 7 p.m. (NESN+).
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X