Colgate 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Can we please just use this thread to concentrate on the failures of the Men’s Ice Hockey team without branching out into the failures of the other Colgate men’s sports?
    Sorry Iowa, Gate football is always going to be a topic for us older alums who thought football & hockey were the only two sports Colgate played. I was not encouraged by the effort on Saturday, though it was nice to see Shabby for the first time since Covid started! One advantage for football over hockey, the tailgates are warmer...

Comment

• Back at you 83 ! Is the hockey team going to Alaska or not ?
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• No, Shabby. A rare mistake.
        And I have yet to find the sarcasm emoji on here.

Comment

• I hear the over/under on todays Bill & Mary game is 51+. Any truth to this?

Sorrry Iowa but what Gate 83 says is correct. Besides, while hockey has not started up yet, why not discuss the failings of our FB program?
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

• "Failings of our FB program"? Truly a conversation that could occupy several threads...save men's basketball, how 'bout the failings of our men's athletic programs? But I agree...can't wait for hockey but why not evaluate the elephant in the room?

Comment

• good for the women and Greg Fargo...he runs a nationally-recognized and very successful program...teams WANT to play the women because they have become a measuring stick for other programs...as TchrBill says...wish this would happen for MIH...I do too but not holding my breath...maybe .500 or a few games above for this year (TheCoat is in an optimistic mood today)...

Comment

• I agree Coat. But I wonder: with Greg Fargo's success, couldn't he teach DV something about recruiting? Or couldn't DV go to Fargo (as I have previously posted) and discuss other methods of recruiting from how we are doing/not doing it now?? Methods that would pay off with a successful team/record?

Comment

• Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                  Or couldn't DV go to Fargo (as I have previously posted) and discuss other methods of recruiting from how we are doing/not doing it now?? Methods that would pay off with a successful team/record?
                  You're kidding right?? You obviously don't know DV very well.
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• whether it's fair or not kids today relate better to younger coaches, plus Fargo's system seems (just an opinion) to be a little more dynamic, free-wheeling...maybe that's a function of women's ice hockey, I don't know...bottom line: we continue to get great kids who are good (but generally not great) college hockey players...our best prospect was Michael Citara (a 4.25 rated kid) now going to Providence)...perhaps there's some connection with the precipitous drop in the talent level of football (where we were getting an occasional 3-star kid plus a good overall talent base)...is our Academic Index hurting an ability to get a few "reach kids" who fall below the index? Men's soccer, always good, is 0-6, scoring something like 1 or 2 goals all season...Langel seems the exception, but how long can we keep him AND his ability to recruit EVERYWHERE is outstanding...and some basics, recruits are attracted to successful programs...let's face facts: our last .500+ season was 2014-15 and we've averaged almost exactly 2 goals/game since 2016-17...not exactly a great record for securing top talent...the building is great, but dead...and DV is not going to change his approach...it worked for c. 15 years; it hasn't worked for the same period of time...

Comment

• This Thursday at 7 p.m. Eastern is Colgate’s “A (Virtual) Night with the Raiders.” Amongst the Zoom meeting participants will be Ganiyat Adeduntan, April Cornell, Stan Dakosty, Matt Lange, Erik Ronning and Don Vaughan. I just registered today.

Comment

• Okay. I just watched Colgate's "A (Virtual) Night with the Raiders." The line-up included...

Ganiyat Adeduntan, head women’s basketball coach
                        April Cornell, head field hockey coach
                        Stan Dakosty ’05, Fred ’50 and Marilyn Dunlap head football coach
                        Matt Langel, head men’s basketball coach
                        Erik Ronning ’97, John W. Beyer head men’s soccer coach
                        Don Vaughan, Donald F. Vaughan head men’s hockey coach

Well, coach Vaughan had something come up at the last minute which prevented his appearance.
                        But, my question is... please remind me how 'endowed chairs' work for coaching positions.
                        It appears that three coaches scheduled for the Zoom meeting sit in 'endowed chairs' for their positions.
                        Are their salaries fully paid by those that endow the coaching chair?

Comment

• Iowa: ya got me. I'll let someone better informed answer that question.

I believe the women open the season tonight vs RIT. The hockey season is officially open.

Comment

• Iowa - the money generated from an Endowed Chair is used at the discretion of the head coach - it does not pay his/her salary - so basically additional $ in the budget.

Comment

• We received votes in the hockey poll this week……… haha

Comment

• Who are the fifty (50) voters in the uscho poll and what is the point system that is utilized?

Comment

Working...
                                X