Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Wow, the Lemon man is all in on BU!!
    What’s not to like right now so I am going to ride it as long as I can. Last few years the good times have been thin. Finally a BU team that plays as a team and I am enjoying every second of it. Those teams with one and dones who were just there for themselves as as a necessary pit stop soured my taste a bit. I enjoy seeing a team full of kids that want to play for BU not just themselves.

Comment

Wow, the Lemon man is all in on BU!!
      He is deeply offended at BU being underrated!

Comment

• Really good BU-centric episode on the February 2 edition of the Spittin Chiclets podcast. For those that don’t know Spittin Chiclets is the most popular hockey podcast in the world and former Terrier Ryan Whitney is one of the creators and hosts. The Feb 2 episode had interviews with both Charlie McAvoy and Colin Wilson. It was really interesting to hear Wilson speak about his recently publicized struggles. He also mentioned that he thought he would go to North Dakota but Parker and Quinn gave great recruiting pitches. Another reason why he said he went to BU was because they honor the scholarships later in life for players who leave early to go pro. Apparently many schools don’t do this. Wilson is now finishing his BU degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I do not recall. Rather than reliving that game, now on NESN, I’m watching the 1991 championship final. BU Athletics is showing the whole game on their YouTube channel. For those that recall this game...how the **** did Joe Cleary NOT get a penalty for knocking Tony Amonte out?? That would been a five and the gate today. This game was insane!!! It was my choice of the five they offered to show tonight.

Also, thanks for the Sam Tucker reminder!
          Fun watch. If only they had a camera shot from my spot in the balcony. Oh, and Bob Norton thinks Keith Tkachuk is turning into a "pretty good" hockey player.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• On the road next weekend for two in Vermont. 6 p.m. both Friday and Saturday. Neither on NESN. Catamounts last played Jan. 8 & 9, splitting home games vs. Maine.
            Last edited by Rogie21; 02-09-2021, 02:17 PM.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              On the road next weekend for two in Vermont. 6 p.m. both Friday and Saturday. Neither on NESN. Catamounts last played Jan. 8 & 9, splitting home games vs. Maine.
              No NESN, but available via Livestream?

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

No NESN, but available via Livestream?
                Yup. From GoTerriers.com:

The Terrier women will host Vermont at Walter Brown Arena on Friday (6 p.m.) and Saturday (5 p.m.) while the BU men will trek to Burlington to face the Catamounts on Friday and Saturday. Both contests at Vermont are scheduled for 6 p.m. All four games can be seen on SportsLive; information on how to watch is located at GoTerriers.com/cbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

What’s not to like right now so I am going to ride it as long as I can. Last few years the good times have been thin. Finally a BU team that plays as a team and I am enjoying every second of it. Those teams with one and dones who were just there for themselves as as a necessary pit stop soured my taste a bit. I enjoy seeing a team full of kids that want to play for BU not just themselves.
                  There is lots to like:
                  - After 5 straight years oof one-and-done's, we may not even have any two-and-done's. So the big benefit there is both the experience factor and, to some extent, perhaps more of a team atmosphere. I don't think everyone who was a one-and-done is in it only for themselves. Ironically, the only one who I think really should have left after one year seemed to be the most team-focused and humble of them all.
                  - Depth at forward and in net. I'm not sure guys like Phillips and Wise are shoo-ins to get right back in the lineup when they are ready.
                  - A nice mix of size and speed. Peterson and Tuch have the skills to justify being in the line-up every night. More so than Quercia and DeBoer.
                  - Commesso looks like he could carry us on nights we need him to. Haven't had that since Oettinger.

And some things that give me some pause:
                  - Have been outshot every game this year, and seemingly, most periods.
                  - If Cockerill doesn't make it back by playoffs, I think that really hurts our chances.
                  - Experience level on defense, which is usually a big factor for going deep in the playoffs.

I too am enjoying the ride, but I'm not ready to brand BU a Top 5 team. Some of the western teams are very good this year. To me, this team should be in the 6-10 range. Now, if they get to something like 13-3, then maybe they should be ranked higher.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Also, thanks for the Sam Tucker reminder!
                    Tucker was a decent goalie. A reasonable bridge between Oettinger and Commesso.
                    Albie lost confidence in him in midseason, but he was solid when he got the starting job back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

Tucker was a decent goalie. A reasonable bridge between Oettinger and Commesso.
                      Albie lost confidence in him in midseason, but he was solid when he got the starting job back.
                      Agreed.
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• I think the player I've seen the most improvement on over last year is Vlasic. In addition to his newfound scoring ability, he seems to have grown into himself, if that makes sense. He's definitely using his size more. I thought last season he was very raw, and a bit gangly. Assuming he's been working with the strength and conditioning coaches. It's good to see some size on defense with him and Webber. Though we're without Webber for Friday. Who steps in?

Comment

Agreed.
                          Also agree, he was a serviceable goalie. Pretty fundamentally sound and no fatal weaknesses.

I maintain if Tucker started the Beanpot final, we win in regulation. Of the barrage of 4 quick NU goals, at least two were simple "shoot high on Abel" ones that Tucker likely stops. Of course you can't evaluate it that simply, but Tucker was the more solid option. By that point, it was *clear* Abel was ridiculously weak up high, the tweener game against Merrimack where he gave up 5 was all the proof you needed. Starting him in the final was one of Albie's biggest tactical errors last year.

You can't even make the "big game environment" argument given Tucker started against undefeated Cornell at MSG and gave a solid performance that kept us in the game.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I think the player I've seen the most improvement on over last year is Vlasic. In addition to his newfound scoring ability, he seems to have grown into himself, if that makes sense. He's definitely using his size more. I thought last season he was very raw, and a bit gangly. Assuming he's been working with the strength and conditioning coaches. It's good to see some size on defense with him and Webber. Though we're without Webber for Friday. Who steps in?
                            Agree with you regarding Vlasic, and I cite McCarthy as a much improved player, also.

Comment

I think the player I've seen the most improvement on over last year is Vlasic. In addition to his newfound scoring ability, he seems to have grown into himself, if that makes sense. He's definitely using his size more. I thought last season he was very raw, and a bit gangly. Assuming he's been working with the strength and conditioning coaches. It's good to see some size on defense with him and Webber. Though we're without Webber for Friday. Who steps in?
                              It makes total sense. I felt the same way about Brian Boyle when he was at BC. His freshman year and the first part of his sophomore year he looked like a baby giraffe, gangly and uncoordinated, and then about halfway through his sophomore year it finally clicked for him. I think that is not uncommon that taller players go through a phase like that early in their careers.
                              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                              BC - 12
                              BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Agree with you regarding Vlasic, and I cite McCarthy as a much improved player, also.
                                On today's media call with Albie, he cited Vlasic's substantial improvement and increased confidence. Also spoke about Boguslavsky's increased contributions, especially after seeing limited action last season.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X