Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

The season hasn’t even begun and Vermont has blown up the Hockey East schedule with their decision to postpone the start of winter sports until 18 December (conveniently a day before their basketball teams’ league games start).
    On the men’s side UVM had scheduled 8 games before 18 December, with three weekends of flex games in February, but they also scheduled 3 bye weekends, one in December, one in January and one on February, so they have enough dates to make up the 8 games )one hopes that they have no more games disrupted by COVID-19, or things could get ugly). As far as the BU games, there are two available weekends without breaking the BU schedule: 18-20 December, which requires no change in BU’s or UVM’s schedules, or 26-28 February, which would replace BU’s two flex games vs BC and UVM’s two flex games vs UML. I would prefer the games be played on 18-19 December to get them played ASAP, especially as BU only has two flex weekends and no bye weekends in 2021. And with one of BU’s flex weekends 1-2 having the UVM games rescheduled on 26-28 February would give BU no wiggle room at all after the first weekend of January. Doing so would also allow the already scheduled 27-28 February UVM-UML flex games to be played, but as league games – and with the location switched. Likewise, it would allow the already scheduled 5-6 February UVM-UMass flex games to be played as league games and with the location switched. Then the UVM-UConn games could then be scheduled for 19-21 February in place of flex games scheduled by both teams (and the two flex opponents, Merrimack and UML, could easily played flex games with each other that weekend). Hopefully everyone will agree to this schedule as it would cause minimal disruption and still leave teams with some flexibility for COVID-10 scheduling changes.

On the women’s side UVM had scheduled 6 games before 18 December, with three weekend of flex games (one at the end of January and two in February) and two bye weekends, one in December and one in January. BU and UVM have flex games already scheduled for February, which appears to be the most likely (with location switched), but 26-27 December is also a possibility as both teams have bye weeks scheduled). The other two teams with postponed games vs UVM have several flex games in sync with UVM, making the rescheduling a bit easier than for the men’s teams.

As for the canceled Beanpot, I think it might increase interest in the tournament when it returns in 2022 and make for better attendance. Either that or kill it altogether.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Originally posted by DNAEagle in the BU offseason thread View Post
    One by one the schools are going to shut down for hockey and maybe Bball, football keeps going because there is too much money involved. In the short term a vaccine is not going to change this, we are in a long dark winter. Order a smaller turkey you will still have plenty of leftovers. Maybe time to watch replays of past glory games. Sad but necessary because across the country's the health systems on the verge of collapse.
    Men's basketball will also keep going because there is too much money involved, especially for the NCAA (which doesn't get the football money). The NCAA has already announced it is planning to host the entire 68-team basketball tournament in one location, a definite sign they are planning to have the season and most importantly for them, the tournament. I can still the hockey tournaments being cancelled, but I think most schools will still go ahead with their seasons.

On another note, does anyone think Farrance decides to stay around for a fifth season in 2021-22? Trivia Question" Who was the last BU player to play five seasons for the Terriers?

And if anyone is interested in donating a kidney please contact me as I still need one that works.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Ryan Ruikka?
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        Men's basketball will also keep going because there is too much money involved, especially for the NCAA (which doesn't get the football money). The NCAA has already announced it is planning to host the entire 68-team basketball tournament in one location, a definite sign they are planning to have the season and most importantly for them, the tournament. I can still the hockey tournaments being cancelled, but I think most schools will still go ahead with their seasons.

On another note, does anyone think Farrance decides to stay around for a fifth season in 2021-22? Trivia Question" Who was the last BU player to play five seasons for the Terriers?

And if anyone is interested in donating a kidney please contact me as I still need one that works.

Sean
        I don't think farrance would stay. Lot of NHL teams will want to sign him plus with 3 incoming defensemen next season I don't think the Albie will try and convince him to stay

Comment

Teams may keep playing, but I'll be shocked if every team ends up playing every game smoothly. With Vermont already delaying their season that already throws a wrench in the schedule as Sean mentioned (and keep your eye on further travel and quarantine restrictions from the state of Vermont to come). On top of that I would say there is a strong likelyhood that some players will test positive resulting in quarantines and game postponements etc. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

As to the beanpot, it could increase interest, or by next year people could be used to watching even more from TV and not going to games. Killing it altogether would be extreme, but at this point with how "meh" it has become, it really wouldn't bother me that much. Something about $50 parking, $85 tickets, $16 beers and $10 hot dogs doesn't excite me for a college game.

Are Basketball and Hockey the only sports playing? Swimming would be much more socially distant than both... by definition of lane width you are 6' or more apart from anyone all the time.

Comment

I am still fearful that the Terriers will not play a single game. I hope I am wrong. When I saw that they were starting to weeks after the other teams (I haven't looked but I am assuming nobody is playing Thanksgiving Weekend so it is only one weekend of games but two weekends nonetheless), I thought - that is tempting fate. Now it will be three weeks, and as quickly as things are developing, who knows what the various states and schools will be thinking by that time.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I didn't understand why BU was originally starting two weeks after everyone else
              With the Vermont opt out till mid-december maybe they could juggle some of other teams that were scheduled to play Vermont to start earlier

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                I am still fearful that the Terriers will not play a single game.
                This would not surprise me at all.

Comment

With BU not starting till December 11th we may be without several players as the world junior team will report between Dec 6-10
                  Probably will select extra players to prevent shortages during tournament. Rosters have been expanded

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    Trivia Question" Who was the last BU player to play five seasons for the Terriers?
                    Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    Ryan Ruikka?
                    No, it was a player who actually played games in five different seasons.

Sean
                    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 11-19-2020, 06:37 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                      I didn't understand why BU was originally starting two weeks after everyone else
                      With the Vermont opt out till mid-december maybe they could juggle some of other teams that were scheduled to play Vermont to start earlier
                      On the first Coach's Cabinet Zoom call (free to all season ticket holders), Coach O'Connell mentioned having the extra time to practice and learn to play together with so many new players. It's possible he decided to he wanted the additional two weeks before BU started to play for even more practice (and evaluation of players).

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Don't be surprised if BU and Umass play on the weekend of NOV 27th. I have heard it is a real possibility due to Umass originally due to play UVM that weekend. Also, not surprised by BU's late start because they shut down athletics for a week and they were probably last team to practice as a full team.

Comment

David Sacco??

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                            Don't be surprised if BU and Umass play on the weekend of NOV 27th. I have heard it is a real possibility due to Umass originally due to play UVM that weekend. Also, not surprised by BU's late start because they shut down athletics for a week and they were probably last team to practice as a full team.
                            BC will play UMass.

The men’s programs at Boston College and Massachusetts are now scheduled to play a home-and-home series on Friday and Saturday, November 27-28. Friday’s game from Conte Forum will be shown live on NESN at 6:00 p.m. while Saturday’s contest will air on NESN+ beginning at 4:30 p.m.
                            http://hockeyeastonline.com/articles...ovember-23.php

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Adams View Post
                              David Sacco??
                              Correct

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                              X