Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    The season ticket email came out.... not sure if this is new info but we will have 2 home games against BC. Alaska and ASU will both be coming to town for a pair of games.
    Sounds like another disaster of out of conference schedule- who is responsible for that- I think both the coach and AD

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post

Sounds like another disaster of out of conference schedule- who is responsible for that- I think both the coach and AD
      Why do you say that? I don't know if Alaska (either school) has ever come to Boston. Better than Sacred Heart (no offense intended). They're also going to Northern Michigan in October.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

Why do you say that? I don't know if Alaska (either school) has ever come to Boston. Better than Sacred Heart (no offense intended). They're also going to Northern Michigan in October.
        Alaska is on the verge of folding the program- No NCHC school in last 5 years. expect to see LIU next
        Why do we need two games against these teams- They are in Boston area- does no one else want to play them
        Understand when we go there need two games to justify trip

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          As I recall UAA played in the NCAA first round at BC in 1991 and made a New England trip in 1991-92 when they played at UNH, MC and UML. As for Alaska (Fairbanks), they made several New England trips before joining the CCHA: 1986-87 when they went played at Maine and Norwich, as well as the Yale Hockey Classic; 1987-88 when they played at Norwich, NU (I was at that game) and MC; 1990-91 when they played at the RPI Tournament, MC and PC; and 1991-92 when they played at Army and Maine.

Originally posted by DLG View Post
          Alaska is on the verge of folding the program- No NCHC school in last 5 years. expect to see LIU next
          Why do we need two games against these teams- They are in Boston area- does no one else want to play them
          Understand when we go there need two games to justify trip
          I'm not sure where you heard that Alaska was on the verge of folding, but that's not what I understand. If either Alaska program is close to folding it appears to be Alaska Anchorage, although there is an effort underway to save the program that the new NHL Seattle Kracken are supporting. Alaska (Fairbanks) on the other hand is forging ahead as an independent. Furthermore, despite the budget cuts forced on the University of Alaska system by the governor in 2019, Alaska (Fairbanks) increased spending on hockey by 9.3% over the previous season. So, they seem committed to keeping hockey.

As far as Alaska coming to BU I support it as it helps Alaska and I get to seem them again after 23 seasons. You may not want to see them play, but I do. I care less about seeing ASU as BU just hosted them two seasons ago. I suspect that at least one of those series is two replace the previous planned series with UAH. I also wouldn't mind seeing LIU, although I would only want a single game. And as for BU's OOC I don't need or want to just see NCHC teams season after season. There are other teams I would enjoy seeing come to Agganis, like MTU, OSU, PSU, BSU, LSSU, AFA and RIT.

Sean
          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 05-19-2021, 06:41 PM.
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            As I recall UAA played in the NCAA first round at BC in 1991 and made a New England trip in 1991-92 when they played at UNH, MC and UML. As for Alaska (Fairbanks), they made several England trips before joining the CCHA: 1986-87 when they went played at Maine and Norwich, as well as the Yale Hockey Classic; 1987-88 when they played at Norwich, NU (I was at that game) and MC; 1990-91 when they played at the RPI Tournament, MC and PC; and 1991-92 when they played at Army and Maine.

And beat BC in that series.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Yup. Anchorage had a goalie named Paul Krake who stole the series against a vastly superior BC team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post

If they are WINS, they are awesome games.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Section 6, Row S View Post

Yup. Anchorage had a goalie named Paul Krake who stole the series against a vastly superior BC team.
                  1. I think Paul Krake's father (Skip) played a few games with the Bruins in the late '60's - early '70's.

2. That BC team had a season ending sequence similar to the BU team in '97 - '98. Strong regular seasons, loss in the first round of the HE tourney (BC to NU, BU to MC), loss in the nationals (BC to UAA, BU to UNH).

BC's demise was more shocking. That BC team was far better than the 97-98 BU team.

Last edited by buoldtimer; 05-20-2021, 12:36 PM.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• That '91 BC team was never quite the same after losing the Beanpot that year. A two-week layoff before the NCAAs after losing to Northeastern didn't help, even though BC outshot UAA, which largely held on behind Krake. UAA made the NCAAs again the next season, but also got swept at Alaska Fairbanks, including one game where UAF had a number of walk-ons in the lineup.
                    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

• The NMU series may no longer be on the table for this year.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

One of the last Len Ceglarski specials. Thanks for bringing up that chestnut...
                        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                        BC - 12
                        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

• BU also @ Brown for 1 game next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            The NMU series may no longer be on the table for this year.
                            Well NMU thinks it's still on. They've announced the games for 5-6 November and they're going to honor their 1991 NCAA championship team that weekend.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              Well NMU thinks it's still on. They've announced the games for 5-6 November and they're going to honor their 1991 NCAA championship team that weekend.

Sean
                              Yeah, I saw that after I post. Should've checked that thread first :P
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• I believe BU usually plays 8 OOC games each year (not including beanpot). This upcoming season we have heard

Home:
                                Alaska x2
                                ASU x2

Away:
                                NMUx2
                                Brown

Who do we think the last one is? Cornell(if RHH is still on), Minnesota (rumored to come to Boston last year but COVID. But doesn’t look like it will fit their schedule next year). LIU (rumor last year) or SHU (thought they were supposed to play last year again but who knows)

Comment

Working...
                                X