Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read on the athletic that Vlasic is waiting to hear what the Blackhawks want him to do. He is open to staying at BU or going to Rockford. Albie thinks he should do another year at BU, like most people think. Blackhawks have signed numerous young defensemen lately so another year at BU would not hurt at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by cridge View Post
      Read on the athletic that Vlasic is waiting to hear what the Blackhawks want him to do. He is open to staying at BU or going to Rockford. Albie thinks he should do another year at BU, like most people think. Blackhawks have signed numerous young defensemen lately so another year at BU would not hurt at all.
      With the limited # of games a lot of these guys got to play this year, how many games are left in the AHL season? I wonder if that will be a factor for a lot of these decisions. To get these guys more game action NOW.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Wise and DeBoer in transfer portal.

I think all teams are going to see an inordinate number of transfers this year given the unusually high number of players available next year due to extra year.

I imagine at least one or two more may enter, simply because the roster space next year isn't there. Removing Wise and DeBoer we now have 14 forwards without the incoming freshmen.
        Where did you find this information?

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Where did you find this information?
          Twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

Twitter.
            Yep, first reported by Schloss.

https://***********/SchlossmanGF/sta...50959321653249
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Out of the 8 players from the 2018-19 Freshman class (Albie's 1st season), only Matt Quercia remains.

Gone are Farabee, Wise, deBoer, Mark Cheremeta, Hugo Blixt, Dominic Vidoli, Vinnie Purpura.

Vidoli left for the USHL after 1 semester. Now with Ohio St.
              Farabee signed w/ the Flyers after 1 year.
              Cheremeta left for the USHL after 1 year. Now with Ohio St.
              Purpura left after 2 years. Now with LIU.
              Blixt left after 2 years. Now with Colorado College.
              Wise and deBoer now transferring after 3 years.

This recruiting class may be even worse than the 2013-14 Freshman class (Quinn's 1st season) that had Nick Roberto, Tommy Kelley, Robbie Baillargeon, Dillon Lawrence, Kevin Duane, Brendan Collier, Doyle Somerby, Dalton MacAfee, TJ Ryan. Only Somerby, Roberto and Kelley played 4 years. Baillargeon transferred to ASU after graduating in 3 years; Lawrence was cut from the program after 3 years; Duane transferred to Quinnipiac after 2 years; Ryan retired from hockey after 2 years; MacAfee and Collier dismissed from the program after 1 year.

Comment

• Wise wants to transfer because 'he doesn't feel he is a third line left wing?'

With 3 goals in 50 career games, how long does he expect the line of suitors to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by meauxmo View Post
                  We could see this coming. The Peter principle is now at work: good recruiter and not a good coach.
                  Very good recruiter, reportedly a very good guy. I would not say "not a good coach." He had proven to be a very good assistant coach at multiple schools. But after three seasons, there are still questions about how good of a HEAD coach that he is.

Part of his problem is perception. And perception often becomes reality.

He does not portray a commanding presence. He warned us when he was hired that he does not wear clothes like Quinn, whose nickname was "GQ." At this point, Parker's old plaid jacket might help with perception. But it would never fit.

I'd be more concerned with how he fills their shoes. Or skates.

Getting outshot, and as badly, as BU was this seasons points to a lack of offensive vision. Particularly given the talent on hand. And being so woeful of faceoffs was embarrassing. The powerplay without Farrance was not good, either.

Team defense was good, and the penalty killing was pretty good, too. Having Commesso and Duplessis in goal certainly helped.

It is an understatement that this was a highly unusual season. It appears that Albie managed the off-ice issues, and what was thrown at the team, pretty well.

This was going to be a defining season for Albie as a HEAD coach. I'm not so sure that it can be, given all of the circumstances.

I believe that Drew Marrochello will give the program a thorough review, and trust that he will know what was faced and if it is heading in the right direction. That includes whether Albie can take it forward, or not. Bazin and Leaman made immediate impacts on their programs. It took Carvel a year, and Madigan longer. Some never make an impact. Which one is Albie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

Very good recruiter, reportedly a very good guy. I would not say "not a good coach." He had proven to be a very good assistant coach at multiple schools. But after three seasons, there are still questions about how good of a HEAD coach that he is.

Part of his problem is perception. And perception often becomes reality.

He does not portray a commanding presence. He warned us when he was hired that he does not wear clothes like Quinn, whose nickname was "GQ." At this point, Parker's old plaid jacket might help with perception. But it would never fit.

I'd be more concerned with how he fills their shoes. Or skates.

Getting outshot, and as badly, as BU was this seasons points to a lack of offensive vision. Particularly given the talent on hand. And being so woeful of faceoffs was embarrassing. The powerplay without Farrance was not good, either.

Team defense was good, and the penalty killing was pretty good, too. Having Commesso and Duplessis in goal certainly helped.

It is an understatement that this was a highly unusual season. It appears that Albie managed the off-ice issues, and what was thrown at the team, pretty well.

This was going to be a defining season for Albie as a HEAD coach. I'm not so sure that it can be, given all of the circumstances.

I believe that Drew Marrochello will give the program a thorough review, and trust that he will know what was faced and if it is heading in the right direction. That includes whether Albie can take it forward, or not. Bazin and Leaman made immediate impacts on their programs. It took Carvel a year, and Madigan longer. Some never make an impact. Which one is Albie?

I like Jerry Keefe.... feel he plays a bigger role at NU than Madigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by cridge View Post

I like Jerry Keefe.... feel he plays a bigger role at NU than Madigan.
                      He certainly does a lot more in-game coaching than Madigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                        I believe that Drew Marrochello will give the program a thorough review, and trust that he will know what was faced and if it is heading in the right direction.

With no official information, I'm of the belief that Marrochello is not the ultimate decision maker when it comes to the head coach of the program - and that's a problem.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Harry, the question about Albie has already been answered. He's godawful as a coach. He can't gameplan or motivate, or make in game adjustments. He's being paid handsomely to do all that with a high level of skill. Failing grade so far.

BU benefitted tremendously from the short season. Had they played more games opposing coaches would have figured them out sooner and it would be a .500 season with no NCAA bid. Even worse the entire season and the coach's reputation was salvageable with a good performance in the NCAA's, but instead of grabbing the bull by the balls they played flat and disorganized and got run off the ice. Next year is his do or die year. He'd better win some serious hardware or the school is going to have no option but to get rid of him. How do you sign him to an extension if next year ends up like the last 3 have?
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Just for debate say they want to move on from Albie - whats the alternative? My ideal candidate would be Mike Sullivan but he is currently under contract for the Penguins for the next 3 years so that's off the table. If you are going to replace Albie you need a better option and who? I assume he would have to be a BU alumni....I don't think a great option was there when Quinn left and I am not sure there is a great option out there right now. I think Albie is a great recruiter but I am not sure he has the cache or demeanor to be a head coach. Does Albie get the respect of the room as when a Bazin/Leaman/Carvel walk into the room?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              Just for debate say they want to move on from Albie - whats the alternative? My ideal candidate would be Mike Sullivan but he is currently under contract for the Penguins for the next 3 years so that's off the table. If you are going to replace Albie you need a better option and who? I assume he would have to be a BU alumni....I don't think a great option was there when Quinn left and I am not sure there is a great option out there right now. I think Albie is a great recruiter but I am not sure he has the cache or demeanor to be a head coach. Does Albie get the respect of the room as when a Bazin/Leaman/Carvel walk into the room?
                              Sullivan will probably be lingering around the NHL for a couple years if fired. Plus, I doubt BU would want to hire him if he is coming right from the NHL as a head coach. Is Steve Greeley still a part of the Sabres? I remember they cleaned house at one point and was not sure if he was a part of it. I remember last year when John Hynes was fired I thought he could be next. But he is with the Preds . Guessing the next coach will be in the BU family. If it's not though, I want keefe. Can't see him run for the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

With no official information, I'm of the belief that Marrochello is not the ultimate decision maker when it comes to the head coach of the program - and that's a problem.
                                Marrochello has made the call in other sports. Whether the call is solely his in the school's most high profile sport may be a question. BU has not fired a hockey coach since Leon Abbott six games into the 1973-74 season.

Comment

Working...
                                X