Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, do we think we’re going to see a make up of Friday’s game? If not, then who’s up next?

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      So, can post-grad transfers (Max Kaufman) return next season, if they wish?
      My understanding is that any player in any sport gets another year of eligibility. There were no qualifications stated in what I read about it.

Comment

• Agreed that they didn't look good at times (many), but still found a way to win. Their passing and decision-making was highly questionable during long stretches. But give them credit for doing what had to be done. Vinny looked great again - both goals bounced off BU guys. I agree we need to platoon he and Commesso.

They REALLY miss Farrance, especially on the PP. The most similar d-man is Fensore, but he just makes some poor decisions. Reminding me a lot of Chad Keys, but hopefully he improves more.

Any word on why Wise didn't play? I mentioned that I wasn't sure I would stick him in the line-up even if he is healthy. I know that is a tough pill, but he has never lived up to his hype/potential, and if the team is winning, it's hard to justify sitting guys.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Any word on why Wise didn't play? I mentioned that I wasn't sure I would stick him in the line-up even if he is healthy. I know that is a tough pill, but he has never lived up to his hype/potential, and if the team is winning, it's hard to justify sitting guys.
          Patrick Donnelly
          @PatDonn12
          O'Connell: "We had an opportunity to play Jake Wise tonight. We really wanted to get him into a game. He's one of our better players." "I didn't put him in there just because we've been on a run and it would be a disservice to some of the other guys."
          7:01 PM · Feb 20, 2021

IMO, I agree with Albie here. The guys in the lineup now have to give him a reason to bench them in order for the injured players to take their spot - with the obvious exception of Farrance. But Phillips, Wise, and Witkowski do not automatically get PT when they return.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

Patrick Donnelly
            @PatDonn12
            O'Connell: "We had an opportunity to play Jake Wise tonight. We really wanted to get him into a game. He's one of our better players." "I didn't put him in there just because we've been on a run and it would be a disservice to some of the other guys."
            7:01 PM · Feb 20, 2021

IMO, I agree with Albie here. The guys in the lineup now have to give him a reason to bench them in order for the injured players to take their spot - with the obvious exception of Farrance. But Phillips, Wise, and Witkowski do not automatically get PT when they return.
            I agree regarding Wise. I was going to post before the game that I wondered if he'd even crack the lineup. Is Witkowski out? I assumed he just wasn't playing because he is our worst forward. I think Phillips is a pretty good player, though. I can see him getting in over guys like Armstrong or Boguslavsky, if he's ready to go 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              But it doesn't explain why they haven't re-scheduled Friday's game for, like, Sunday. Or Tuesday.
              I agree. No good reason why they shouldn’t be playing this afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post

I agree regarding Wise. I was going to post before the game that I wondered if he'd even crack the lineup. Is Witkowski out? I assumed he just wasn't playing because he is our worst forward. I think Phillips is a pretty good player, though. I can see him getting in over guys like Armstrong or Boguslavsky, if he's ready to go 100%.
                Phillips is an interesting one. More of a skill guy for sure, but this team has been playing to their size. And Phillips strikes me as a streaky guy. I wouldn't sit Boguslavsky for him since he has improved significantly, but I would be okay with sitting Armstrong at least for a game or two top let Phillips get going.

Comment

• Can someone explain to me how Nick Zabaneh took shifts after that dirty hit that resulted in his helmet-less head smacking the ice?
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post

I believe Witkowski is/was among the group who were in Covid protocols. Don't know whether he's still out because of that or just scratched.

Originally posted by Elbowing View Post

I agree. No good reason why they shouldn’t be playing this afternoon.
                    Reading between the lines of Albie's postgame comments, combined with the contradictory NCAA rules, it seems the league/administrations agreed to only play one game with the risk of having only one goalie. Since BU can't suit up a club goalie - as they would in a normal year - it was play with one or don't play at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Why can't BU suit up a club goalie? BC did that this year.

Comment

I believe Witkowski is/was among the group who were in Covid protocols. Don't know whether he's still out because of that or just scratched.

Reading between the lines of Albie's postgame comments, combined with the contradictory NCAA rules, it seems the league/administrations agreed to only play one game with the risk of having only one goalie. Since BU can't suit up a club goalie - as they would in a normal year - it was play with one or don't play at all.
                        Albie thanking everyone for allowing them to play with one goalie was a bit much. Sounded disingenuous and contrite.

Comment

Without saying it, that sounds like a compromise was agreed to, with the one game at UConn since the problem was at BU. I’ve heard Commesso may be cleared to rejoin the team tomorrow, so that might impact the possibility of a midweek game.

During the 97-98 season, BU had just two rostered goalies and when one was injured, a practice goalie dressed for several games.

Some stats of interest:
                          BU has yielded just 5 third-period goals—3 in the opener and one in each of the Maine games. After the opener, only 6 second-period goals, and in the four-game winning streak, zero second- or third-period goals. While Vinny has played great, the team defense has had a lot to do with it. Vinny’s GAA went up by 50% after yesterday’s win, from 0.67 to 1.00.

BU leads the conference in shooting percentage at 14.1, but is dead last in face off wins (.448). Last night UConn won 39 of 63 draws (acknowledging there is always home team bias in those stats). That results in less puck possession and fewer scoring opportunities.

In 11 games, BU has been outshot by 366-284. While the team has done a good job of limiting grade A chances, continuing struggles to break out of the zone against a hard forecheck—especially along the boards—is limiting attack zone time.

In the four-game winning streak (all minus Farrance), BU is 1 for 15 on the power play and also 1 for 15 on the penalty kill.

IMO: improvements on face offs, breakouts and the power play are a necessity for a realistic shot at playoff/NCAA run.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            Can someone explain to me how Nick Zabaneh took shifts after that dirty hit that resulted in his helmet-less head smacking the ice?
                            You could see blood on his fingers as he was checking himself out, as the trainer arrived. But not clear if that was from the back of his head, or maybe some damage as the helmet came off. I'm sure they must have done some concussion protocols, but I agree, it was a little surprising to seem him out there as quickly as he was.

Comment

• Hey, do we have any idea what’s up with Abel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Hey, do we have any idea what’s up with Abel?
                                It was in an article after last night's game, don't remember where - he slipped on icy sidewalks earlier this week and apparently got injured there. I walked in the same area near BU that night and can attest it was the slipperiest I've ever seen. Pure sheets of black ice on sidewalks and the street.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X