Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wondered at the time about the late commit from Vinnie Duplessis? BU already had the highly-touted freshman Drew Commesso coming in, and he was sure to get the bulk of the starts. Sophomore Ashton Abel proved able as a backup, at least, and maybe more if he improved on high shots. Duplessis is an older freshman, so where did he fit in?

He had to be aware of Commesso. He had gone head-to-head in Canadian juniors with Abel, and that didn't scare him off. And given his experience, he did not appear to be the typical BU #3 goalie -- opening the gate and praying for a couple of minutes here and there.

Albie obviously feels that he can play, or he wouldn't have started in him against BC. And that decision was well rewarded by a terrific, composed performance.

BU has three goalies none of whom that were not here 13 months ago. It appears the net is both deep and a strength.

Now to the missing ...

Amonte is reportedly done for another year. Cockerill due back from concussion protocol - when? Wise and Phillips still injured?

And what is up with Farrance and Commesso?

This team appears to have a lot of character AND DEPTH. When was the last time BC shortened its bench and shorthanded BU was still able to effectively roll out four lines?
    The signs are encouraging in this bizarre season.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

lol let's keep cherry picking - BU's first game of the season against a team playing their 9th? The game which occurred after BU was allowed 4 practices ~40 days?

I don't agree with the sentiment that BU is "much better" than BC, not sure many others here would. I do believe the teams, at full strength, have similar chances of winning a HET. It's increasingly clear BU is surprisingly one of the top teams in the league. No one expected it, but the results are the results - and that's before you consider BU's inability to practice, play, and have a consistent roster.

You're still out here equivocating BC minus Hutsko = BU minus Farrance, Commesso, Cockerill, Amonte, Wise, and Phillips. That's absurd. Farrance alone cancels out the impact of Hutsko.

Also, Albie is the frontrunner for HE COY as of this moment. Whodve thunk it.
      You realize I cherry picked those games to show how dumb it is, right? I thought that was obvious. And no, I never once said BC being without Hutsko was the equivalent of BU missing all those guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
        Interestingly, I found myself marveling at the speed and skill of Newhook and Boldy, but also seeing that familiar team disconnect. Wondering why, with such talent, they weren't simply blowing BU away
        I honestly don't think BC has a disconnect in terms of buy in and being a team. Those components are there. If it looked that way I would give BU credit for it. But there certainly are things BC needs to work on, like the PP and dumb/inopportune penalties. As I keep saying, how often are any of these meetings blowouts? Especially when it appears BU was simply underrated coming into the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
          If Vinnie had been in net Friday, we would have had a win then too.
          Man, you guys are something. Now Vinnie is already a known commodity! I have missed this.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
            If Vinnie had been in net Friday, we would have had a win then too.
            No guarantee of that. Abel played well, no complaints. I wished he had done better on the winning goal, but it was a tough 1-on-1 and who knows who would have and who would not have stopped it.

Comment

• BU up to #13 in polls which is too low IMO. I think the fact they still haven't played a ton of games is holding them back in the voting. They went 1-1 vs #1 BC and swept #9 Umass so you would think that would put them at least ahead of UMass.....still on the upward move though. Hockey East has 6 teams in top 20 with Umass Lowell dropping out and UConn moving in. UConn is certainly deserving of such a ranking they are a tough team to play against. I think BC is overrated and should be in the 5-10 range as the midwest teams seem to be so strong this season.
              Last edited by Lemonade; 02-08-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• You think BC is overrated? I didn't know that. But again, you're just taking away from what BU did this weekend. At the same time, saying BC could be #5 in the country would mean they are a very good team and a contender for the FF etc. We agree! Also agree on UConn. They are a pretty good team.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  You think BC is overrated? I didn't know that. But again, you're just taking away from what BU did this weekend. At the same time, saying BC could be #5 in the country would mean they are a very good team and a contender for the FF etc. We agree! Also agree on UConn. They are a pretty good team.
                  Do you understand that BC lost to BU team missing several key players right? BC was set up for what looked like two easy wins to an undermanned BU team yet they only got an OT win by the skin of their teeth. You understand that? 5 to 10 range range is probably where they belong along with BU. Any team in the top 15 is a contender for the FF.

Comment

• Yes, I understand that. Do you understand that by calling BC overrated in every post takes away from what BU accomplished over the weekend? Like student sections chanting overrated after a big win. It's dumb.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Yes, I understand that. Do you understand that by calling BC overrated in every post takes away from what BU accomplished over the weekend? Like student sections chanting overrated after a big win. It's dumb.
                      Its not that big of an accomplishment beating BC...BU essentially had its "B" team this weekend and beat them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

Its not that big of an accomplishment beating BC...BU essentially had its "B" team this weekend and beat them.
                        Wow, the Lemon man is all in on BU!!
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• NESN is showing last year’s semi final win over BC in the Beanpot. I must need to start taking ginkgo boloba or something because I hardly remember this. I know the outcome, but jeez, there’s 10 minutes to go in the third and they’re losing 3-1! Anyway, another brain fade on my part - who played goal the first half of the season before Abel showed up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            NESN is showing last year’s semi final win over BC in the Beanpot. I must need to start taking ginkgo boloba or something because I hardly remember this. I know the outcome, but jeez, there’s 10 minutes to go in the third and they’re losing 3-1! Anyway, another brain fade on my part - who played goal the first half of the season before Abel showed up?
                            Mr Sam Tucker
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• IIRC Abel had a couple of good games but then everyone figured out just shoot high and you would score.... Tucker came in for him in the second half in the Beanpot championship game?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                IIRC Abel had a couple of good games but then everyone figured out just shoot high and you would score.... Tucker came in for him in the second half in the Beanpot championship game?
                                I do not recall. Rather than reliving that game, now on NESN, I’m watching the 1991 championship final. BU Athletics is showing the whole game on their YouTube channel. For those that recall this game...how the **** did Joe Cleary NOT get a penalty for knocking Tony Amonte out?? That would been a five and the gate today. This game was insane!!! It was my choice of the five they offered to show tonight.

Also, thanks for the Sam Tucker reminder!

Comment

Working...
                                X