Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing but it is risk management. By all reports COVID infections are going to get worse.

Comment

• While cases in Mass and the region in general are steadily going down, BU's had a bunch of positives since students came back. Given BU's incredibly conservative stance on Covid, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they shut down campus and athletics for the year if this doesn't turn around.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
        Disappointing but it is risk management. By all reports COVID infections are going to get worse.
        All reports? People are starting to get vaccinated now. Are you talking about a specific region?

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          While cases in Mass and the region in general are steadily going down, BU's had a bunch of positives since students came back. Given BU's incredibly conservative stance on Covid, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they shut down campus and athletics for the year if this doesn't turn around.
          I was just reading there is still a 13 game requirement to be eligible for NCAAs. So without knowing when BU will play again, it will become a race against time to become eligible for NCAAs. Lowell in same boat. Could be a good team but only played 4 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

All reports? People are starting to get vaccinated now. Are you talking about a specific region?
            The issue now is the variants. We’re in a race against time to vaccinate people before the variants take over and the vaccine potentially wouldn’t be effective against them. We could easily be back to square one which is why we need to pull out all the stops now.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• If we get "back to square one" at some point people just need to accept that while you can still take precautions in your life, the show must go on.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                If we get "back to square one" at some point people just need to accept that while you can still take precautions in your life, the show must go on.
                Australia had zero new cases today and life is completely back to normal for them. There is no excuse for what has happened here.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

While cases in Mass and the region in general are steadily going down,
                  I don't think they are. Another 4200+ cases reported yesterday. It's wavering a lot, thankfully down from the 7000+ a few weeks ago but until I see numbers more than half that number, I disagree numbers are trending down.

So...the pause was through the end of the month? That's...Sunday. If you're going to pause, pause. How will a 5-day pause do anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I don't think they are. Another 4200+ cases reported yesterday. It's wavering a lot, thankfully down from the 7000+ a few weeks ago but until I see numbers more than half that number, I disagree numbers are trending down.

So...the pause was through the end of the month? That's...Sunday. If you're going to pause, pause. How will a 5-day pause do anything?
                    The state's data on 7-day weighted averages of total positive tests, test positivity %, hospitalizations, and deaths all disagree with you: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...ily-dashboard-
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• All of this is a moving target, it is experience adjust experience. Very few people have actually received the two shot regimen so even if you have had one shot you do not have the full benefit. We have a ways to go and I think it will be several more months to get a broad section of the population vaccinated. There is no right answer but if you are really trying to manage the risk of getting hit by a car a good start would be avoid playing in traffic.
                      Last edited by DNAEagle; 01-29-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• I just got a CHN push that BU-Merrimack starts at 4pm. LOL. That was two disappointments ago.

BU Hockey: Call Me In 2022
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

While cases in Mass and the region in general are steadily going down, BU's had a bunch of positives since students came back. Given BU's incredibly conservative stance on Covid, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they shut down campus and athletics for the year if this doesn't turn around.
                          With a bit of understanding into the politics and BUreaucratic machinations on campus, there's a perception (that I believe is partially true) that the BU administration is using Athletics as a pawn in selling to the broader community how cautious and thorough BU's approach to managing COVID on campus is. In a way it's kinda comparable to the perception that elected government officials have constantly placed a bullseye on the restaurant industry throughout the pandemic, even though data has backed up that restaurants have not been a consistently major driver of COVID spread.

I think BU will, at all costs, do whatever it takes to keep the campus open the entire Spring semester. Bob Brown has been consistently adamant about the need to keep the residential experience open for BU students. What he doesn't say to the public is that room/board revenue is a vital source of income to BU, so while the administration may flout their stringent COVID protocols, there is major financial incentive for them to keep the campus open and as COVID safe as possible.

With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if BU ultimately pulls what Ivy League institutions did with their respective Athletics' programs. One of my biggest criticisms of Bob Brown is that he could care less about Athletics and would probably be fine with making BU Athletics sacrificial lambs to make a point about how BU continues to manage its COVID response.
                          Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 01-29-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• If BU cancels the rest of their season and the rest of Hockey East pushes through, I’d fully expect players to either go pro or enter the transfer portal. I’d also expect some recruits to rethink their verbals.

Albie: Hard to be a cook without ingredients.

Comment

• Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
                              All of this is a moving target, it is experience adjust experience. Very few people have actually received the two shot regimen so even if you have had one shot you do not have the full benefit. We have a ways to go and I think it will be several more months to get a broad section of the population vaccinated. There is no right answer but if you are really trying to manage the risk of getting hit by a car a good start would be avoid playing in traffic.
                              What are you proposing? NCAA step in and cancel season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mellow1 View Post
                                If BU cancels the rest of their season and the rest of Hockey East pushes through, I’d fully expect players to either go pro or enter the transfer portal. I’d also expect some recruits to rethink their verbals.

Albie: Hard to be a cook without ingredients.
                                BU isn’t cancelling the season and if they did where are the players going to go at this point? Transfer for next season? Why would they do that? They are going to be loaded next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X