Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a story, good for him to overcome OCD to play in the NHL and even better for him to come to grips with the problem. I can't believe it was that long ago that he was playing college hockey. It feels like it was just a two years. It is a reminder how short NHL careers can be he was able to play for 11 which is very impressive. Good luck to him on the next phase of his career.

Comment

re: Colin Wilson: He had double hip surgery in the Spring and indicated in that OCD story that it didn't go well. Poor guy. Put his Sophomore season in Scarlet and White up there with the greats.

Both BU games (If they actually happen) will be on NESN Plus.

USA-CN gold medal game tonight. I haven't watched a minute of the tournament, truth be told. I might tune in tonight.

BU Hockey: And You are .... ?
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
        Colin Wilson has announced his retirement after 11 NHL seasons. In October, he wrote about his longtime battle with OCD in an article for The Players Tribune, titled "The Things You Can't See."
        For my money he was the best player on the 2009 National Championship team despite Gilroy winning the Hobey. Until I read his Players Tribune article I always wondered why he didn't have a more successful NHL career. Yes, he played over 600 NHL games and made about $26M but when he left BU I pegged him to be a consistent 50-70 point per season NHL player - his career high was 42.

Comment

If Zegras had decided to return to BU USA probably doesn't win the WJT last night.

Sliding Doors

It Happened!!!!

Comment

Another thought...if the pandemic never happened, would Zegras be playing pro and not have gone to the WJC?

Comment

First time on the boards in a while. Still hate the new format, but if BU was playing games, I would tolerate it. I left some thoughts about last nights amazing WJC championship on the dedicated thread.

Like all of us, I have my fingers crossed that we will actually get to see Terrier hockey. The women had to cancel their games...

Like Bomber, I had to read up again on who is on the team! Hopefully the pent up energy for all the guys, especially the guys who were supposed to be at the WJC camp, will result in some strong play. Vlasic and Mastro were a couple of the callouts by Starman on the broadcast last night when listing guys that could have been on the team. Tough to start with PC who will have all their WJC team members back.

Until Eichel showed up, Colin Wilson was the most physically mature 17/18 year old freshman I had ever seen at BU. His ability to keep possession of the puck along the boards is the best of anyone I have seen at BU (Charlie Coyle was up there too). He had some big goals for us (third of three in less than two minutes against BC in the HE Playoffs (or was that the Beanpot?), and of course the GWG against Vermont in the NCAA semis. Like many Terriers, Wilson rounded out his game in the NHL to not have to be a big scorer to make the lineup. Mike Grier, Mike Sullivan, Jay Pandolfo, Nick Bonino are some quick examples. Good luck to Colin in retirement.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Another thought...if the pandemic never happened, would Zegras be playing pro and not have gone to the WJC?
                Good Question....Has there ever been players leave the pros for the WJC?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Good Question....Has there ever been players leave the pros for the WJC?
                  I believe the World Jr's tournament is strictly amateur - Zegras has signed a contract, but hasn't played a pro game yet. I think that's why he was eligible. Had he played a pro game, he wouldn't have been eligible.

This is my first time back on the board since the end of last season. Like many others, I hope we FINALLY get to start playing this weekend. And I feel very badly for the BU players who were in the pool for the Jr's but never got a chance to play because of the BU quarantine... There should have been at least couple of them on the final roster, maybe even more.

Comment

I don't think that's it. I think it's just under 20 at a certain date regardless of professional status.

Comment

• As an example, team Canada fielded a 19 year old Patrice Bergeron in the 2005 WJC after he already played the 2003-2004 season for the Bruins. He was able to play in it because of the NHL lockout that wiped out the 2004-2005 season.

This year, the Rangers didn't send Alexis Lafreniere to the WJC because he's preparing for the NHL season. But even then it's situational. Up to the NHL team and player to figure out what is best for their development.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        Like Bomber, I had to read up again on who is on the team! Hopefully the pent up energy for all the guys, especially the guys who were supposed to be at the WJC camp, will result in some strong play. Vlasic and Mastro were a couple of the callouts by Starman on the broadcast last night when listing guys that could have been on the team. Tough to start with PC who will have all their WJC team members back.

Until Eichel showed up, Colin Wilson was the most physically mature 17/18 year old freshman I had ever seen at BU. His ability to keep possession of the puck along the boards is the best of anyone I have seen at BU (Charlie Coyle was up there too). He had some big goals for us (third of three in less than two minutes against BC in the HE Playoffs (or was that the Beanpot?), and of course the GWG against Vermont in the NCAA semis. Like many Terriers, Wilson rounded out his game in the NHL to not have to be a big scorer to make the lineup. Mike Grier, Mike Sullivan, Jay Pandolfo, Nick Bonino are some quick examples. Good luck to Colin in retirement.
                        Starman didn't mention Commesso, but he was considered a lock to be the third goalie--to experience the WJCs and be the goalie next year.

The goal against BC was in the HE semis. BU was losing in third when they erupted.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Upxl7qn4c

Hearing that Mastro is likely to miss Friday's game but be back for Saturday.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• So, had none of BU's - or other HE teams' games - been postponed, how may games would BU have played by now? I see that UMass has already played games. That seems like an overly high number. I'm too busy...OK, I'm too lazy...to track down the original schedule but from what I recall, BU was supposed to start a week after everyone and then not have that many games till this weekend's games.

Comment

• Since BU is requiring masks from its athletes, and for all opponents on campus ... I am assuming the players on both teams in tomorrow night's season opener against PC will be wearing cloth masks under their face shields. Or would full shields be enough by themselves?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              Since BU is requiring masks from its athletes, and for all opponents on campus ... I am assuming the players on both teams in tomorrow night's season opener against PC will be wearing cloth masks under their face shields. Or would full shields be enough by themselves?
                              The “chin masks” worn by the men’s basketball team were an absolute joke. I mean there was absolutely no effort for the mask to cover either the mouth or the nose. Will be interesting to see what will happen with men’s hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbz View Post

The “chin masks” worn by the men’s basketball team were an absolute joke. I mean there was absolutely no effort for the mask to cover either the mouth or the nose. Will be interesting to see what will happen with men’s hockey.
                                Probably because making someone wear a mask while trying to play basketball is dumb.

Comment

Working...
                                X