Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Aside from the St Cloud State game, why do you dislike Pearl? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like the know the reasons behind your opinion.
    That 5 minute major powerplay vs SCSU down 3-2 was one of the most despicable powerplays I've ever seen. They could not gain possession in SCSU zone. (literally) I hold staff responsible for that

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike799 View Post

That 5 minute major powerplay vs SCSU down 3-2 was one of the most despicable powerplays I've ever seen. They could not gain possession in SCSU zone. (literally) I hold staff responsible for that
      Our powerplay was 15.6%.We had 5 powerplay goals through our first four games and a total of 2 powerplay goals in our last 8 games (Wise's goal was one of them but that was still a disaster of a powerplay). Our powerplay was ran through Farrance who would just take a slapshot from the blueline. Wouldn't do anything down low. Need to do something different because in the last three years our powerplay hasn't looked good at all. At least in 19-20 they could play through Curry as well in the middle, but this year Skoog and Cockerill just were down low while O'brien, Fensore, and Farrance waited for a shot up top.

20-21: 15.6%
      19-20: 23.1%
      18-19: 19%
      Last edited by hydrant; 04-23-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post
        W C C/W D
        Cocker Brown O'brien Vlasic (L)
        Phillips Skoog Zabaneh Fensore(L)
        Peterson Amonte Bogusl McCarthy (R)
        Tuch Stevens Greene Webber (L)
        Boucher Jarman (R)
        Mastro Driscoll (L)
        Wilmer Doyle (L)
        Armstro Schmidt (R)
        Kaufman Legault (R)
        Carrabes Copeland (R)
        Amonte 2.0
        I understand, it's only April, but I had some time on my hand to do get a look at next year. I just hope this team can be better than the last. I bet we'll see O'brien on wing this year after he played wing in the final game for some reason. Don't expect Jarman or stevens to really play this upcoming year. Albie has no excuse if this team cannot make a run.
        I think our defense corps is our soft spot. I'm not a big fan of Vlasic. He plays like thinks he's a super star, but it doesn't translate into actual performance or results. Too much float and glide. He's certainly not NHL-ready despite what he may think. And too many of our defenders want to play offense, carry the puck in deep, and then get lost in transition.

Almost across the whole team, we don't play hard on the puck, pressure/contest an opponent who has the puck, and win very few puck battles. While this hurts our offensive production, it is a fatal flaw when we're in our defensive zone. Defensively, we box out and defend 5v5 like we're short-handed and killing a penalty. If you let an opponent pass the puck around at will, or take innumerable shots from the point, sooner or later even a bad pass or shot will hit two players and end up in the net. Being badly out shot each game, just through the law of averages, will result in goals that could/should have been avoided.

If we get anyone through the portal, it should seasoned and proven defender.
        Last edited by OldAlum; 04-23-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post

I think our defense corps is our soft spot. I'm not a big fan of Vlasic. He plays like thinks he's a super star, but it doesn't translate into actual performance or results. Too much float and glide. He's certainly not NHL-ready despite what he may think. And too many of our defenders want to play offense, carry the puck in deep, and then get lost in transition.

Almost across the whole team, we don't play hard on the puck, pressure/contest an opponent who has the puck, and win very few puck battles. While this hurts our offensive production, it is a fatal flaw when we're in our defensive zone. Defensively, we box out and defend 5v5 like we're short-handed and killing a penalty. If you let an opponent pass the puck around at will, or take innumerable shots from the point, sooner or later even a bad pass or shot will hit two players and end up in the net. Being badly out shot each game, just through the law of averages, will result in goals that could/should have been avoided.

Very good points

Comment

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post

I agree. Our defense may potentially be poor. Hopefully our rising juniors and Webber improve. I don't think Jarman should/will play too much. He gradually went downhill as the season went on IMO. Schmidt should step in and play a big role and I'm assuming Doyle will as well since they begged for him to come this season. We'll see how the defense looks though.

Comment

• At forward, it could be a blessing that we don't have any superstars. However, if we hope to take more of a depth approach, we do need guys to improve more than has been the case for the past few years. I consider Cockerill and Mastro as being the two guys I really thought would have become bigger threats than they have. Cockerill did look phenomenal last season until his injury, so maybe he still could have a great season next year. But Mastro hasn't been able to consistently show the flash that we see at times in games. Someone mentioned that Skoog was very inconsistent. I think Tuch and Peterson will improve, just given the type of players they are. Brown is a very big addition for sure. I think Zabaneh looked a lot like he could turn into a very good player, but until it happens, we can't count on it. Ethan Phillips is the biggest unknown - could be a top-6 guy, or could struggle and not even dress. Hopefully Boucher and Jeremy Wilmer have the skill to make an impact.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• On d, I was impressed with Jarman most of the season. I think he struggled a little as the competition improved. But remember he came in earlier than initially planned. Vlasic and McCarthy will improve, they are big and still adjusting to the speed of the college game, but I think they will be reliable - I agree that Vlasic needs to not try to do too much offensively. Webber should also improve with experience. With Farrance gone, Fensore will be the key offensive d-man. He just needs to cut down on his turnovers. I swear Doyle seems like he committed seven years ago, so it will be good to see what he brings. Schmidt should be in the line-up regularly.

I generally feel better about d-men improving, because a good d-man requires smarts more than skills, and smarts can be taught.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  On d, I was impressed with Jarman most of the season. I think he struggled a little as the competition improved. But remember he came in earlier than initially planned. Vlasic and McCarthy will improve, they are big and still adjusting to the speed of the college game, but I think they will be reliable - I agree that Vlasic needs to not try to do too much offensively. Webber should also improve with experience. With Farrance gone, Fensore will be the key offensive d-man. He just needs to cut down on his turnovers. I swear Doyle seems like he committed seven years ago, so it will be good to see what he brings. Schmidt should be in the line-up regularly.

I generally feel better about d-men improving, because a good d-man requires smarts more than skills, and smarts can be taught.
                  To me, the disappointing aspect of their performance is that it deteriorated as the season wore on. One man's opinion; I know that Albie was sweet on Vlasic's season.
                  Last edited by buoldtimer; 04-24-2021, 11:41 AM.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• A horse named Albie finished 3rd in the 7th race at Belmont Park this afternoon.
                    Last edited by buoldtimer; 05-01-2021, 03:16 PM.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• In the newsletter Albie said there are four players scheduled to get surgery this offseason... who could it be (besides Amonte).Phillips was back by the end of the season so cannot be him. Also, Albie said he expects to be atop Hockey East next year....... we'll see.

Comment

• AJ Greer is a Devil? Who knew. (He just laid a dirty hit on a Bruin and got in a fight.)
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Rangers fire John Davidson (Pres) and Jeff Gorton (GM). Chris Drury assumes both roles.

Comment

• Wow that is very strange coming right after they released that statement about Tom Wilson

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              Rangers fire John Davidson (Pres) and Jeff Gorton (GM). Chris Drury assumes both roles.
                              Drury joins Jack Kelley (Pittsburgh '93-'01) as the only Terriers to be president of an NHL team. Thought Jack Ferreira was, too, but he was exec VP of the North Stars and the Ducks. Is Drury the only Hobey Baker winner to be a president?
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                                AJ Greer is a Devil? Who knew. (He just laid a dirty hit on a Bruin and got in a fight.)
                                Unfortunate that DQ squandered a scholarship on Greer only for him to bail halfway thru his Sophomore year. Also have to wonder what Colorado saw that warranted drafting Greer in the 2nd round in 2015. Certainly hasn't lived up to potential at the NCAAs nor NHL, with some decent #s in the Q and AHL. And made more noise for being arrested along w/ Sonny Milano.

Comment

Working...
                                X