Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by joen05 View Post
    That being said - it seems like BU IS providing that scholarship money but I'd like to see them maybe grab a portal guy or two? I'm concerned that Albie's results and lack of great player development are going to hurt the ability to get these guys in "free agency".
    I don't know who you guys have coming in for freshmen or what Quercia's scholarship was but I am definitely interested to see if any programs do take advantage of the extra scholarship opportunity. You can go over the 18 scholarship limit if you are doing so to accommodate your own 5th year players. But with the economic impact of the pandemic I wouldn't expect many (any?) schools to do this--not for hockey at least. I could certainly see Ohio State doing it for football, Kentucky for basketball etc...situations like that.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by J.D. View Post

      I don't know who you guys have coming in for freshmen or what Quercia's scholarship was but I am definitely interested to see if any programs do take advantage of the extra scholarship opportunity. You can go over the 18 scholarship limit if you are doing so to accommodate your own 5th year players. But with the economic impact of the pandemic I wouldn't expect many (any?) schools to do this--not for hockey at least. I could certainly see Ohio State doing it for football, Kentucky for basketball etc...situations like that.
      Jeff Cox reported BC as the frontrunner. BU will definitely have scholarship/roster issues next year. As of right now, they have 19F, 10D, 3G in for next year. 3 more players than we had this year. Only four incoming freshmen have signed their NLI's, 3F and 1D. I believe Tristan Amonte has to come in next year because he will age out of junior hockey. Would not be surprised if they push Carrabes and Legault back. I like both of them, especially Carrabes because he's the top scorer on his team and will be a 4 year player. Would not be surprised if Legault goes somewhere else because do not see him wanting to play another year of juniors (even though he should). Players that played this year will have to earn playing next year. Not losing any forwards (to pro...so far), will probably be our deepest forward group in years. Kaufman will have trouble cracking the lineup IMO.

      Incoming freshmen:
      F: Boucher(signed), Greene(signed, 2022 draft elig), Wilmer(signed), Carrabes, Amonte
      D: Schmidt(signed), Doyle(probably signed but cannot confirm), Legault

      Comment


      • W C C/W D
        Cocker Brown O'brien Vlasic (L)
        Phillips Skoog Zabaneh Fensore(L)
        Peterson Amonte Bogusl McCarthy (R)
        Tuch Stevens Greene Webber (L)
        Boucher Jarman (R)
        Mastro Driscoll (L)
        Wilmer Doyle (L)
        Armstro Schmidt (R)
        Kaufman Legault (R)
        Carrabes Copeland (R)
        Amonte 2.0
        I understand, it's only April, but I had some time on my hand to do get a look at next year. I just hope this team can be better than the last. I bet we'll see O'brien on wing this year after he played wing in the final game for some reason. Don't expect Jarman or stevens to really play this upcoming year. Albie has no excuse if this team cannot make a run.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by hydrant View Post
          [
          I understand, it's only April, but I had some time on my hand to do get a look at next year. I just hope this team can be better than the last. I bet we'll see O'brien on wing this year after he played wing in the final game for some reason. Don't expect Jarman or stevens to really play this upcoming year. Albie has no excuse if this team cannot make a run.


          Agreed on Albie. He should have a good team with strong goaltending playing for him next season. I think that anything short of 25+ wins and a Frozen Four appearance will be a disappointment.

          P.S. This is the poster f/k/a srsterrier. I never liked the previous username much and finally switched it. The new one is based on my first game at WBA. We showed up at the ticket window earlier that week with our sports passes, hoping to get good seats. The person at the window told us that they only had Sections 6 and 8 left. Not knowing that Section 8 was the student section or that most seats had a decent view anyway, we opted for Section 6 since it was closer to center ice … and just stayed there.


          Comment


          • Originally posted by Section 6, Row S View Post



            Agreed on Albie. He should have a good team with strong goaltending playing for him next season. I think that anything short of 25+ wins and a Frozen Four appearance will be a disappointment.

            P.S. This is the poster f/k/a srsterrier. I never liked the previous username much and finally switched it. The new one is based on my first game at WBA. We showed up at the ticket window earlier that week with our sports passes, hoping to get good seats. The person at the window told us that they only had Sections 6 and 8 left. Not knowing that Section 8 was the student section or that most seats had a decent view anyway, we opted for Section 6 since it was closer to center ice … and just stayed there.

            Even though BU's forwards were not great last year, there is no excuse to why they shouldn't be. Our third/fourth lines should have a higher ceiling than ones in the past. The more successful BU teams in the past, and NCAA in general, have productive/effective fourth lines. In 18-19 and 19-20 it felt that we had rely on first and second line scoring and pray the third and fourth lines didn't let up a goal. Plus, you gotta hope players from this year improve to next season (not too many forwards under Albie have (from 2018-present), but many of them have left. Again, don't think all see there being six new spots for forward without other players potentially leaving. Lastly, saw Alaska is coming to Agganis for two games in the schedules thread.

            OUT:
            Wise
            Deboer
            Quercia
            Witkowski

            IN:
            Brown (Transfer)
            Phillips (INJ)
            Ty Amonte (INJ)
            Boucher
            Jeremy Wilmer
            Greene
            Tristian Amonte
            Carrabes
            Last edited by hydrant; 04-21-2021, 03:18 PM.

            Comment


            • Your formatting is scaring me. Is Wilmer Skoog leaving??? You have him listed under Out. Or at least that's what it looks like.

              Or do we have an incoming student whose last name is Wilmer? That would be super weird.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Your formatting is scaring me. Is Wilmer Skoog leaving??? You have him listed under Out. Or at least that's what it looks like.

                Or do we have an incoming student whose last name is Wilmer? That would be super weird.
                Yes lol. Jeremy Wilmer is an incoming freshman forward from the US program. Smaller than Dom Fensore. Sorry about that will edit.

                Comment


                • Did everyone fill out their season ticket holder return to Agganis Survey?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by hydrant View Post

                    Yes lol. Jeremy Wilmer is an incoming freshman forward from the US program. Smaller than Dom Fensore. Sorry about that will edit.
                    Now they just need to play on the same line. :-)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Section 6, Row S View Post



                      Agreed on Albie. He should have a good team with strong goaltending playing for him next season. I think that anything short of 25+ wins and a Frozen Four appearance will be a disappointment.

                      P.S. This is the poster f/k/a srsterrier. I never liked the previous username much and finally switched it. The new one is based on my first game at WBA. We showed up at the ticket window earlier that week with our sports passes, hoping to get good seats. The person at the window told us that they only had Sections 6 and 8 left. Not knowing that Section 8 was the student section or that most seats had a decent view anyway, we opted for Section 6 since it was closer to center ice … and just stayed there.

                      You must see the defense alot differently than I do. I think our D core is well below average.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mike799 View Post

                        You must see the defense alot differently than I do. I think our D core is well below average.
                        I tend to agree on the D - I think they'll be serviceable but not high end. Goaltending is the only position that I think is plus-plus. Forwards - I just don't see much in the way of high end/high skill scoring threats. This team is going to have to grind out low-scoring wins. We'll see if they have enough grit to do it. I'd bet the under on 25 wins and a FF seems like a long shot.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post

                          I tend to agree on the D - I think they'll be serviceable but not high end. Goaltending is the only position that I think is plus-plus. Forwards - I just don't see much in the way of high end/high skill scoring threats. This team is going to have to grind out low-scoring wins. We'll see if they have enough grit to do it. I'd bet the under on 25 wins and a FF seems like a long shot.
                          That recipe worked for Umass didn’t it?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

                            That recipe worked for Umass didn’t it?
                            Is Albie going to get the kind of buy-in to that type of play that Carvel got?

                            BU Alum '07

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by joen05 View Post

                              Is Albie going to get the kind of buy-in to that type of play that Carvel got?
                              Buy in from whom? Isn't this his decision? Are you saying that he requires approval from Marochello (sp)?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

                                Buy in from whom? Isn't this his decision? Are you saying that he requires approval from Marochello (sp)?
                                I'm assuming he means the players.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X