Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinn got better over time and hit his stride in his last year before the Rangers came calling. Albie has no clue, and will not get one in the foreseeable future. It was me who mentioned going after the UMass coaches and yes, they will have to pay up for quality or stay mired in mediocrity. The short season benefitted the team. Had they played more games opposing teams with real coaches would have figured them out sooner and it would have been another .500 season and no NCAA tournament.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Farrance signed with Nashville. Cockerill/amonte/Kaufman all returning. Allows for 1 or 2 imports. Do they take in a recruit or grab a few guys off the transfer portal?
      No need. With those three returning, we have a *lot* of forwards.

Rising Seniors/superseniors:
      Cockerill
      Amonte
      Kaufman
      Wise
      DeBoer
      Quercia

Rising Juniors:
      Armstrong
      Boguslavsky
      Mastro
      JOB
      Stevens
      Phillips
      Skoog

Rising Sophomores:
      Zabaneh
      Tuch
      Peterson

That's 16 forwards, before we include any incoming freshmen. Have to wonder if one or two of the guys above may look to transfer - the minutes just aren't there. The 9 bolded names are hands-down must be in the lineup guys, and that's being generous since Wise and Phillips easily can be in that category.

Nor do I think any of these guys are candidates to go pro. Off chance for JOB/Mastro but I think both would be making a mistake.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Quinn got better over time and hit his stride in his last year before the Rangers came calling. Albie has no clue, and will not get one in the foreseeable future. It was me who mentioned going after the UMass coaches and yes, they will have to pay up for quality or stay mired in mediocrity. The short season benefitted the team. Had they played more games opposing teams with real coaches would have figured them out sooner and it would have been another .500 season and no NCAA tournament.
        My gripe with DQ was his roster construction. Relied too heavily on high-impact young players and overloaded offensive options to one or two lines. Eichel an obvious exception here.

I think Albie has actually done an excellent job of building a the right roster to win at the collegiate level - scoring across multiple lines, a strong mix of veteran players and young talent, and solid goaltending. I just don't think he can *coach* that roster to a championship level. I would actually love to see what DQ could do with the projected roster for next season. hint hint.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Out of curiosity, could everyone have come back for next season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Out of curiosity, could everyone have come back for next season?
            Everyone was granted another year of eligibility from the NCAA so technically they all could come back. I think the only pro signing will be Farrance so the rest could come back. Some may transfer if they want to look elsewhere for more playing time. So then you have a logjam and supposedly an incoming freshman class too. This team could be very good next year as they are a year older and only lose Farrance. BC could lose a bunch in Knight/Boldy/Newhook as a comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbz View Post

The reason why the replay reviews you saw were only looking at the skate on the blue line was because the people in the ESPN truck didn’t know the rule, nor did the commentators. As defkit pointed out, a very similar thing happened in the UMD-ND game, but Dave Starman correctly pointed out the rule. In the review of the UMD goal, ND did not gain control of the puck therefore making offsides reviewable. It was determined to be offsides and the goal was disallowed.

As an aside I chuckled when Starman (who no surprise to me knows his stuff) answering Leah Hextall’s question as to whether he has seen a quadruple (I think she mistakenly said 5 OT, probably because that’s what the scoreboard ticker said) OT game, he made reference to his time with the Macon Whoopie
              Any opportunity to bring up the best team name in the history of team sports is one to take advantage of. I actually attended a Whoopie game once. Their was a literally a keg party giveaway contest for the fans..
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                In other news, David Quinn trending on Twitter. The angry mob not happy to see his return to the Rangers bench. When he is inevitably fired (that's life as an NHL coach)...would BU ever go back to him?
                Believe me, I've been considering this possibility...

Comment

• NCAA is giving a free year of eligibility I think Teams are going to have a log jam, guys who are tweeners, not NHL ready and too good for college. BU has a lot of talent and I am sure some good incoming players. It may be that some Freshmen delay a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Out of curiosity, could everyone have come back for next season?
                    All NCAA athletes get an extra year and their scholarships do not count towards any team limits for that season. This year automatically does not count towards anyone's eligibility limit.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

No need. With those three returning, we have a *lot* of forwards.

Rising Seniors/superseniors:
                      Cockerill
                      Amonte
                      Kaufman
                      Wise
                      DeBoer
                      Quercia

Rising Juniors:
                      Armstrong
                      Boguslavsky
                      Mastro
                      JOB
                      Stevens
                      Phillips
                      Skoog

Rising Sophomores:
                      Zabaneh
                      Tuch
                      Peterson

That's 16 forwards, before we include any incoming freshmen. Have to wonder if one or two of the guys above may look to transfer - the minutes just aren't there. The 9 bolded names are hands-down must be in the lineup guys, and that's being generous since Wise and Phillips easily can be in that category.

Nor do I think any of these guys are candidates to go pro. Off chance for JOB/Mastro but I think both would be making a mistake.
                      Yeah, it's going to be a crazy offseason. The transfer portal has huge numbers, way more than ever before. Lots of hard conversations to be had. And yes, we have recruits coming, so we absolutely don't need to find anyone else. that being said, if some high talented players are available, I guess you have to consider them.

I would take Zabaneh before Quercia. The latter is a valuable penalty killer and has a good head on his shoulders. But Zabaneh has the potential (I know, potential) to be a very good college player.

Comment

All NCAA athletes get an extra year and their scholarships do not count towards any team limits for that season. This year automatically does not count towards anyone's eligibility limit.
                        So this means that everyone on this years team can play 5 years, including the freshmen. It is going to be weird for a few years I guess. Maybe the one time having all these draft picks turns out to be a blessing...

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

So this means that everyone on this years team can play 5 years, including the freshmen. It is going to be weird for a few years I guess. Maybe the one time having all these draft picks turns out to be a blessing...
                          Yes, all can. I suspect current seniors are the ones most likely to use it. Likely progressively fewer do each year.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

This raises the question of how do certain schools handle it because are these guys coming back on scholarship? Paying their own way for a year? Not every program is gonna pay that extra $ even if only for a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

This raises the question of how do certain schools handle it because are these guys coming back on scholarship? Paying their own way for a year? Not every program is gonna pay that extra $ even if only for a year.
                              I wonder how this impacts the status of the drafted seniors who decide to stay. There have been a few of those who stayed (Vesey, for example) who, by waiting until August after graduation, became free agents. Would not Logan become a free agent as well?

Comment

• On another topic, I was one who thought Albie should be given a shot as a head coach. I was wrong, sadly. This hasn't been pretty and shows no glimmer of improving. As I watched his presser (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm1htMU-E2E)
                                pre-HE playoffs, I knew we were done. The team is not a team - it's just a collection of talented players without a leader. I was at the game in Albany. We were horrible in our defensive zone below the dots, couldn't get past the opponent's blue line carrying the puck and, whenever we dumped and chased, the chase was over before we got there. Disheartening, and a squandered opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X