Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least mookie will be asleep in bed by 11 :-)
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
      How did Albie get this job again?
      He promised to bring back the traditional road uniforms

Comment

• As it turns out, SCSU won by "no contest", too.

We'll see how they fare tomorrow playing a team that's actually coached.

The hallmark of Albie's teams is how easy they are to play against.

Godawful in their own end of the ice.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          How did Albie get this job again?
          He got the job because the administration freaked out when Quinn left after only five years, instead of the 40 Parker stuck around for. Their intention was to hire a coach who would not have any potential professional prospects. They succeeded.

Comment

• SCSU gets a 5-minute power play, controls puck the entire time, pepper Comesso with a bazillion shots.

BU gets a 5-minute power play, can’t win the face off to start the power play, never controls the puck, gives up a short handed breakaway and a penalty shot.

Comment

• This was a potential legacy changing tournament for Albie the Fatass. Beat a good but beatable SCSU team and then face BC who we've already won against once and took a last second loss against, and a Frozen Four birth completely change​​​​​​s the narrative on the guy. Instead of seizing the opportunity, BU comes out flat and gets run off the ice. We don't need a man who fuks up a chance like this running the program. No heart. No pride. No brains. No balls. Bimidji st. God bless them are going further this year than we are. That comes down to coaching. If Albie stays behind the bench for 20 years, he will be just as clueless as he is now. Fire his sorry and oversized ***, both zip codes of it, and get a real coach in here. I'd go after either one of the Umass programs' coaches with an over the top offer that the state is not going to match.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• I thought BU had a nice start to this one. Sure the goal they got early to jump out to a lead was clearly offside but they were keeping SCSU to the outside and limiting grade A chances. SCSU didn't look that great to be honest through 20 mins and even a good way through the 2nd. Even on the major kill they kept the shots to reasonable distance and let Commesso see the shots and boxed out any potential rebounders and sticks (not sure why the announcers were going so crazy over the 9 saves, all seemed easy for Commesso except the glove save jam at the post). It seemed like SCSU needed a good bounce. They got it, in one of the weirdest goals I've ever seen, and then BU unraveled. Some teams wait a full 60 for a good bounce and never get it.

I'll be honest, seeing BU mismanage the puck has me worried BC will do the same tomorrow. And BC is well-known this season for their horrific puck management so we're going to be in for a wild one tomorrow.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• So I thought we survived the first period with solid play by Commesso (which I was counting on) . Great start off the face off to start the period. Great effort by Cockerill and shot by Skoog (finally a big goal by him). Then the wheels came off after the free goal off a weird pop up puck. Then a pinball goal. I thought we were ok before those unfortunate events. Not great but the defense and goaltending were solid. I was thinking Commesso could pitch the shutout and we could advance with maybe a 2-0 type win. Didn’t really do much after the unlucky stuff. Felt like the 2015 Championship game, only we had longer to go in the game.

Where were O’Brien, Cockerill, Tuch, Masrosimone, Farrance - the big boys who should put the puck in the net - in the last 3 week. Really absent on the pressure and scoresheet. (Thought Cockerill had some good shifts tonight though)

Another frustrating elimination game. At least we got to the tournament after a tough year.

Comment

• I agree it's time to consider if Albie is the right person to lead this program. I lean in the direction of no.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Even if he isn't he'll surely be back next year. You guys would know what your administration is like. Doesn't matter what a few diehard fans think. What would it take for the BU administration to pull the plug?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Even if he isn't he'll surely be back next year. You guys would know what your administration is like. Doesn't matter what a few diehard fans think. What would it take for the BU administration to pull the plug?
                        Wouldn't the issue turn on his contract status? I've never heard anything about the length of his contract. Overall, I'd say that until COVID has been resolved, the adm
                        inistration has far more pressing matters to address.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          I thought BU had a nice start to this one. Sure the goal they got early to jump out to a lead was clearly offside but they were keeping SCSU to the outside and limiting grade A chances. SCSU didn't look that great to be honest through 20 mins and even a good way through the 2nd. Even on the major kill they kept the shots to reasonable distance and let Commesso see the shots and boxed out any potential rebounders and sticks (not sure why the announcers were going so crazy over the 9 saves, all seemed easy for Commesso except the glove save jam at the post). It seemed like SCSU needed a good bounce. They got it, in one of the weirdest goals I've ever seen, and then BU unraveled. Some teams wait a full 60 for a good bounce and never get it.

I'll be honest, seeing BU mismanage the puck has me worried BC will do the same tomorrow. And BC is well-known this season for their horrific puck management so we're going to be in for a wild one tomorrow.
                          So St. Cloud clearly was the better team and deserved to win. Odd that in a 6-2 loss I don't know if Commesso can be blamed for any goal. First off, the BU offsides goal was offsides but the call was correct. Why? Because of the "North Dakota" rule. Remember when chubby Charlie McAvoy scored in OT on a feed from Clayton Keller to beat North Dakota in Fargo? That happened after a ND goal was reversed due to offsides. The rule changed after that game such that if the defending team gains control of the puck (I think kind of like the control that would cause the whistle on a delayed penalty), then the offsides is negated. The St. Cloud player had control of the puck which Cockerill stole. Since he had control, offsides is waived off. The problem is the two ESPN guys don't know the rule (which is different than the NHL). I actually think it is a rule the NHL should adopt.

First St. Cloud goal was fluky.

Second St. Cloud goal was a double deflection but that was before the linesman kept the puck in the zone accidentally on the BU clear (it happens).

Third goal great pass from behind net, no chance for Commesso. Can't remember if that's the goal that Jarman (i think) fanned on the clear or whether that was the first one.

Fourth goal I actually may blame Commesso. Before the penalty watching live I thought that Commesso should have come out to clear the puck. There was plenty of distance so I can see why he didn't come out. Perhaps he didn't think that Farrance and Cockerill would take their sweet time getting back. Can't blame someone for giving up a penalty shot.

Fifth goal he made the save to the opposite direction and the d-man got beat to the puck. Even though he made the save where he supposed to, maybe that ones on him.

Sixth goal was a deflection.

So BU gave up six goals and not sure I can blame Commesso for any. He kept them in it.

Peterson with an incredibly stupid penalty. While it didn't seem like there was an intent to injure, I can't complain with the 5-minute call.

Absolutely dreadful 5-min PP by BU.

Overall, they didn't show up. Unfortunately this is the BU team i've come to expect.

Despite Albie, they have two good goalies which will keep them in games so they should be over .500 next year and contend for tourney. Shouldn't lose anyone early and if they do they are easily replaceable. I could see Vlasic leaving (mistake), O'Brien too (mistake).

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Wouldn't the issue turn on his contract status? I've never heard anything about the length of his contract. Overall, I'd say that until COVID has been resolved, the adm
                            inistration has far more pressing matters to address.
                            That's a good point. I can't picture a first time head coach getting more than 5 years and he's already p!ssed away 3 of them. If we have the same season next year BU has to 1) extend his contract, 2) let him coach as a lame duck in year 5, or 3) fire him and hire a real coach. Tremendous pressure on double wide next season.
                            Last edited by Rover; 03-27-2021, 05:03 PM.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• A disappointing end to a season that started with a lot of promise but inexplicably went south in a very bad way. In a way the game itself was a mirror image of the season.

- I disagreed with the major on Peterson. On replay, the SCSU player was sideways to the boards until the last second before being hit. I didn't mind a minor penalty as a compromise, but I didn't think it deserved a major at tall.
                              - I don't quite understand kbz's explanation of why the BU goal stood, but there was clearly a freeze frame that showed half the puck still on the line and Cockerill's skate completely over it. The announcers didn't help by focusing so much on the back skate. Yes it was elevated so the front skate is what we are all looking at...
                              - I thought the controversial SCSU goal absolutely should have been called back. Their guy clearly kicked it towards the net, and while he tried to get his stick on it to push it in, one angle clearly showed that his stick only hit Commesso's pad, not the puck.

What we saw in the second half of the season and this game absolutely creates serious questions about this coaching staff. Watching teams like Lowell, Bemidgi and UMass - these are teams that are being coached on how to play the game as a team. They clearly have designed forechecks, back checks, supporting the puck, etc. BU literally looks like a pick-up game. Half the time someone is trying to do things on their own and turning it over (Fensore and even Farrance especially), the other half of the time they are trying to make plays but since it doesn't look designed, it rarely works. I feel like the coaches just rely on the skill of the team to hopefully get it done. The team was outshot virtually every game this season. They were terrible on face-offs. That five minute Power Play was utterly embarrassing. (Ironically, I was actually glad when they called a penalty shot versus a two minute minor, because I figured it's probably 70/30 Commesso makes a save, and I'd rather have the full time on the Major PP - boy was I wrong). These are not signs of a well coached team.

Best of luck to the seniors/transfers. Cockerill, Witkowski, Farrance, Kaufman, Campolieto
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by kbz View Post

So St. Cloud clearly was the better team and deserved to win. Odd that in a 6-2 loss I don't know if Commesso can be blamed for any goal. First off, the BU offsides goal was offsides but the call was correct. Why? Because of the "North Dakota" rule. Remember when chubby Charlie McAvoy scored in OT on a feed from Clayton Keller to beat North Dakota in Fargo? That happened after a ND goal was reversed due to offsides. The rule changed after that game such that if the defending team gains control of the puck (I think kind of like the control that would cause the whistle on a delayed penalty), then the offsides is negated. The St. Cloud player had control of the puck which Cockerill stole. Since he had control, offsides is waived off. The problem is the two ESPN guys don't know the rule (which is different than the NHL). I actually think it is a rule the NHL should adopt.
                                Are you saying that only in terms of whether a goal can be waived off? Meaning if a goal is scored, and upon review, it was offsides, if the defending team ever possessed the puck, it won't negate the goal?

Because every college hockey game I see, the offfensive team still goes to clear the zone after the defending team corrals the puck. Until they all get out, it's still a delayed offsides.

If what you say is correct, then I think that is good. Personally, I think offsides should not be reviewable. But if it has to be, then something that eliminates the ridiculous times where it can be 30 seconds after the zone entry that the goal is scored, is good by me.

BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X