Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ha ha! Limey - man, that's a name we haven't heard from in AGES.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Sean Pickett will know this for sure but what I remember about the SLU game was the broadcast went off air because of a Celtics game and then came BACK to the hockey game that was still going on once the Celtics game ended. Do I have that right?
      Like others have mentioned, I was at the game in Albany, but I did record it. It was shown on Fox Sports New England in New England and they had to leave the game during overtime because they were contractually obligated to show the Celtics game that afternoon. I don't recall if they came back to the game after the Celtics game ended. That was also the weekend that Jim Fitzgerald screwed Colgate out of winning their first round game vs Michigan when he disallowed their goal in overtime.

      Sean

      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

      BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

      Comment


      • Originally posted by defkit View Post

        I do remember that some idiot poster was jumping all over Dan Cavanaugh for costing us the game...as if any player should have legs after two full games.
        In 2000 only 12 teams made the tournament with the #1 seed in each region getting a bye into the final. SLU was the #1 seed, so hadn’t played the day before.

        According to the GoTerriers.com recap, BU had several good chances to win in overtime: a Carl Corazzini breakaway and Pat Aufiero hitting the crossbar (shade of 1991). Rick DiPietro, HE rookie of the year that season, stopped the initial shot by Carruthers, who beat the BU defender (Aufiero?) to the rebound for the GWG.

        Here's the game account with a photo of the GWG.
        https://www.bu.edu/bridge/archive/20...31/sports.html


        https://goterriers.com/news/2000/3/26/Terriers_Lose_To_St_Lawrence_3_2_In_Longest_Game_I n_NCAA_Tournament_History.aspx

        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

        Comment


        • Woulda been BC-BU in the FF

          Comment


          • I miss the days of the 12-team tourneys with the one 'super-regional' over 3 days. Those were packed buildings, great atmospheres, and a great ticket value if you bought the package. I didn't mind the auto-bye if one was able to win the RS and conference tournament (except if it was the EZAC!!!). I liked the byes and feel it was a good reward for the top two in each region.

            edit - True story. The first tournament game I ever attended was BU/Denver in Worcester in 1997. There was about a month or so in between receiving the obvious acceptance letter from BU and the nail-biter from BC. I rooted for BU in that one (luckily the big envelope came from BC a few weeks later - delayed by a massive April 1st snowstorm in MA). I believe Drury won it in overtime and may have climbed the glass? It was a good game. Shawn Bates skated around like he had rockets attached to his skates.
            Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-22-2021, 02:11 PM.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              I miss the days of the 12-team tourneys with the one 'super-regional' over 3 days. Those were packed buildings, great atmospheres, and a great ticket value if you bought the package. I didn't mind the auto-bye if one was able to win the RS and conference tournament (except if it was the EZAC!!!). I liked the byes and feel it was a good reward for the top two in each region.

              edit - True story. The first tournament game I ever attended was BU/Denver in Worcester in 1997. There was about a month or so in between receiving the obvious acceptance letter from BU and the nail-biter from BC. I rooted for BU in that one (luckily the big envelope came from BC a few weeks later - delayed by a massive April 1st snowstorm in MA). I believe Drury won it in overtime and may have climbed the glass? It was a good game. Shawn Bates skated around like he had rockets attached to his skates.
              I remember when they were introducing Denver's starting lineup and there were guys from three foreign countries and they finally announced and American and the crowd cheered. There was one of those fun facts that said BU was undefeated that season when Drury had at least a point and I think up until he scored that OT goal, he didn't have a point in that game. Sean - is that correct? And that April snowstorm happened the day after flying home from the FF in Milwaukee. It was, like, 65 degrees there, flew home on Sunday and Monday got 2' of snow.

              Comment


              • Regarding that BU-Denver game. Correct on the Drury fun-fact, Scarlet. Shawn Bates was indeed out of his mind in that game. Drury's OT game winner was during a 3 on 3. (The old fashioned. Lots of sinning.)

                It Happened!!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

                  I remember when they were introducing Denver's starting lineup and there were guys from three foreign countries and they finally announced and American and the crowd cheered. There was one of those fun facts that said BU was undefeated that season when Drury had at least a point and I think up until he scored that OT goal, he didn't have a point in that game. Sean - is that correct? And that April snowstorm happened the day after flying home from the FF in Milwaukee. It was, like, 65 degrees there, flew home on Sunday and Monday got 2' of snow.
                  Correct. And then Drury continued that streak in the Frozen Four semifinal against Michigan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVFSgfMAIw
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Was it Rover? ha. Or maybe Limey?
                    Good question. Probably Limey...
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Woulda been BC-BU in the FF
                      I do remember watching the SLU-BC game, hoping SLU could at least knock you guys out :-). I think it was close for a couple periods maybe, and you guys ended winning something like 5-2.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        I miss the days of the 12-team tourneys with the one 'super-regional' over 3 days. Those were packed buildings, great atmospheres, and a great ticket value if you bought the package. I didn't mind the auto-bye if one was able to win the RS and conference tournament (except if it was the EZAC!!!). I liked the byes and feel it was a good reward for the top two in each region.
                        The super-regionals were over 2 days, not three. I also liked seeing four games, but I do prefer the 16 team tournament.

                        Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                        Drury's OT game winner was during a 3 on 3. (The old fashioned. Lots of sinning.)
                        It was technically 4x4, as the first set of matching penalties had expired 4 seconds earlier, but it was effectively 3x3.

                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

                        BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

                          Correct. And then Drury continued that streak in the Frozen Four semifinal against Michigan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVFSgfMAIw
                          37th goal of the year. Mercy.
                          It Happened!!!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bomber View Post

                            37th goal of the year. Mercy.
                            Is it me or does it appear that Denver left him ALL ALONE in front of the net?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

                              Is it me or does it appear that Denver left him ALL ALONE in front of the net?
                              3x3 expiring. It happens. And it's not like teams practiced 3x3.
                              It Happened!!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                I think it was close for a couple periods maybe, and you guys ended winning something like 5-2.
                                Technically 4-2 as Gionta had an ENG quite literally at the buzzer. I didn't even realize BC trailed going into the 3rd in that one. But that game was tight as heck and Farkas had a dazzling rush up the ice from his own blue line with a few minutes left to play to win it. You never see a replay of that one anywhere and it was an absolutely brilliant one-man effort and snipe. BC needs to get out the old footage from the archive.

                                Sean, you're right, 2-days for that old regional format. Derp.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X