Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2020-21 Season: The Road to … Nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apropos of nothing, but if the Ivies and RPI and Union cancel hockey next season, could that be the end of hockey at those institutions?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      Apropos of nothing, but if the Ivies and RPI and Union cancel hockey next season, could that be the end of hockey at those institutions?
      Hopefully

Comment

Apropos of nothing, but if the Ivies and RPI and Union cancel hockey next season, could that be the end of hockey at those institutions?
        Wouldnt shock me at all if they cancelled hockey. Its a losing $$$ situation at the Ivys for athletics and its better for their bottom line to get rid of them financially.

Comment

• Unless there is a huge outbreak of variants, at this point, it seems like most if not all college students should be able to be vaccinated by September (the target/estimate for all adults is now May). If a school isn't willing to try to make it work in a situation where pretty much everyone has been vaccinated then I guess they don't really want to have a program. (Students / faculty that don't want it can run their own risk if that is what floats their boat, but don't delay getting the world moving for their protection).
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Unless there is a huge outbreak of variants, at this point, it seems like most if not all college students should be able to be vaccinated by September (the target/estimate for all adults is now May). If a school isn't willing to try to make it work in a situation where pretty much everyone has been vaccinated then I guess they don't really want to have a program. (Students / faculty that don't want it can run their own risk if that is what floats their boat, but don't delay getting the world moving for their protection).
            Well put.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

What makes you think they will cancel hockey next season? That is a long way off with a lot of vaccines rolling out between now and then.

Comment

• I leave the thread for 12 hours and buoldtimer/JD/Lemonade cancelled 8 D1 programs, complete with multiple National Championships. Talk about Cancel Culture!! *smilie*

It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  I leave the thread for 12 hours and buoldtimer/JD/Lemonade cancelled 8 D1 programs, complete with multiple National Championships. Talk about Cancel Culture!! *smilie*
                  With a $42 billion dollar endowment at Harvard I am not sure why the hell $30M a year for sports would matter but it does apparently....

This was published in the Harvard Crimson in April of 2020:

In the face of a financial crisis, Harvard Athletics has deferred all capital projects and is considering other cost-cutting moves, Director of Athletics Robert L. Scalise said in an interview last week.

The department has halted refurbishing some of its facilities following the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’s announcement that it would postpone all capital projects indefinitely. FAS — the division of the University that oversees the College and thus Harvard Athletics — has already incurred nearly $30 million in unforeseen expenses and lost revenue as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. Those losses place FAS in a deficit for FY 2020.

Projects at the top of the department’s agenda had included improvements to the wrestling team’s facilities housed in the Malkin Athletic Center, the Weld and Newell boathouses used by Harvard’s men and women’s crew teams, and the sailing center, which sank into the Charles River more than two years ago.

“It’s unrealistic to think that we’re going to be able to operate the way we did in the past,” Scalise said.

“People will be creative, and we’ll try to minimize the negative impact but there will be some things that have to change, just to be realistic and to be responsible,” he added.

During the 2018-2019 academic year, Harvard Athletics operated a budget of nearly $30 million, according to the Equity in Athletics Data Analysis compiled by the United States Department of Education.

Harvard boasts the most varsity athletics programs — 42 — out of the nearly 350 colleges and universities that comprise the National Collegiate Athletics Association Division I. Nearly 1,200 Harvard College students play on a varsity team, according to a Harvard Athletics website.

Though the extent of the cuts remains unclear, Scalise said the department will draw on its experience from the previous recession, when it trimmed its budget by 15 percent.

During the previous financial crisis, Scalise explained, the department tried to limit its cuts to areas that would not affect student-athletes. Faced with a similar situation roughly ten years later, Scalise said he is not sure the department can afford to shield its varsity programs entirely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    I leave the thread for 12 hours and buoldtimer/JD/Lemonade cancelled 8 D1 programs, complete with multiple National Championships. Talk about Cancel Culture!! *smilie*
                    Please note the use of "if" in my question.

Taking the matter to an extreme, do you think a large segment of the Ivy student population would just shrug, if varsity athletic programs were eliminated?

For that matter, what percentage of the BU student population would care if BU dropped hockey? I look around at BU games, and I'd say that the average age of attendees skews a little to the high side.

Last edited by buoldtimer; 03-04-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Taking the matter to an extreme, do you think a large segment of the Ivy student population would just shrug, if varsity athletic programs were eliminated?

For that matter, what percentage of the BU student population would care if BU dropped hockey? I look around at BU games, and I'd say that the average age of attendees skews a little to the high side.
                      Probably not a huge percentage would really care all that much to be honest. How many undergrad students are at BU? 20,000? How many kids are typically in the student section for any given game? 600? That isn't a very great attendance percentage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

With a $42 billion dollar endowment at Harvard I am not sure why the hell $30M a year for sports would matter but it does apparently....

This was published in the Harvard Crimson in April of 2020:

In the face of a financial crisis, Harvard Athletics has deferred all capital projects and is considering other cost-cutting moves, Director of Athletics Robert L. Scalise said in an interview last week.

The department has halted refurbishing some of its facilities following the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’s announcement that it would postpone all capital projects indefinitely. FAS — the division of the University that oversees the College and thus Harvard Athletics — has already incurred nearly $30 million in unforeseen expenses and lost revenue as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. Those losses place FAS in a deficit for FY 2020.

Projects at the top of the department’s agenda had included improvements to the wrestling team’s facilities housed in the Malkin Athletic Center, the Weld and Newell boathouses used by Harvard’s men and women’s crew teams, and the sailing center, which sank into the Charles River more than two years ago.

“It’s unrealistic to think that we’re going to be able to operate the way we did in the past,” Scalise said.

“People will be creative, and we’ll try to minimize the negative impact but there will be some things that have to change, just to be realistic and to be responsible,” he added.

During the 2018-2019 academic year, Harvard Athletics operated a budget of nearly $30 million, according to the Equity in Athletics Data Analysis compiled by the United States Department of Education.

Harvard boasts the most varsity athletics programs — 42 — out of the nearly 350 colleges and universities that comprise the National Collegiate Athletics Association Division I. Nearly 1,200 Harvard College students play on a varsity team, according to a Harvard Athletics website.

Though the extent of the cuts remains unclear, Scalise said the department will draw on its experience from the previous recession, when it trimmed its budget by 15 percent.

During the previous financial crisis, Scalise explained, the department tried to limit its cuts to areas that would not affect student-athletes. Faced with a similar situation roughly ten years later, Scalise said he is not sure the department can afford to shield its varsity programs entirely.
                        As a similar example, Stanford has one of the biggest endowments in the country and just dropped a half a dozen or so sports last year due to financial concerns.

Comment

• Given that we are currently still in season, I'd like to table the discussion on schools dropping hockey programs and focus on why we have not received any explanation or update on why BU, UML and/or Hockey East were not able (or willing) to schedule a second game this weekend. UML is not playing another game. Both schools could use the extra game played. Remember back in January when a weekend series was cancelled and at the last minute we got a Sunday afternoon game? Should we expect something like that to happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Given that we are currently still in season, I'd like to table the discussion on schools dropping hockey programs and focus on why we have not received any explanation or update on why BU, UML and/or Hockey East were not able (or willing) to schedule a second game this weekend. UML is not playing another game. Both schools could use the extra game played. Remember back in January when a weekend series was cancelled and at the last minute we got a Sunday afternoon game? Should we expect something like that to happen?
                            That does seem odd. A second game vs UML seems to be an obvious choice. Maybe one will still be announced? I doubt there are any conflicts with use of the arenas?

Comment

The MASSIVE factor is some sports are profitable for colleges. BU Hockey is a profit maker for the school. There are no IVY league sports that make money for their programs. NONE. Essentially BU makes a few million profit from BU Hockey and Harvard loses a few million every season.

Comment

No.
                                The Ivies can all afford it, and their alumni love tradition. Imagine no hockey at Cornell? Not going to happen.
                                RPI and Union are another matter, since it is a D1 sport at an otherwise D3 school. Both would be more likely to drop down to D3 than eliminate hockey, but I don't see them doing that, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X