UMass Lowell 2020-2021: Down the long hallway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Anyway ... another season done and dusted. Disappointing is the key word. The easy excuse: couldn't ever seem to get into the right playing shape till too late due to multiple quarantines.

But ice wise ... goaltending never really stood out for Lowell this year. Lots of questions going into next season.
    1. Did Welsch do enough in the last 5.5 periods (starting the third at BC till the end of the UMass game) to make the claim to be next year's #1?
    2. Will Neaton be back, or will he look to transfer (with another netminder scheduled to come in this year, or will Harper be pushed to 2022)?
    3. Of the three that played time (Levesque, Sodergren, Baxter), will any of the seniors want to return for another season?
    4. If the answer to #3 is yes, will that affect an incoming freshman?
    5. Does the rest of the team return? With the transfer portal being opened up this year, I think people are expecting a good amount of turnover in rosters (in all NCAA sports).
    6. If Brown/Berglund/Lee can take the next step in their progression, does that do enough (along with #1 above) to give Lowell home ice for next year?
    7. Who will be the incoming freshman? Will any of them have the ability to jump right into the fray?
    8. We've gotten spoiled recently by the goaltending, but with none of the three hitting a 90% save rate ... there's a reason #1 is #1 above. But in the games I watched, I did see a lot of defensive breakdowns from a team, I expected to be much better on that side of the puck. Considering we brought back everyone on the blueline and even added a draft pick, I was a bit disappointed in that. They need to be more solid next season. Can Blackmun/McDonald/Sawchuk/Barton be the senior leaders needed on that back line, and help out the goalies more?
    There are more questions, but for now ... I'm going to leave it at that.

Some good highlights to take out of this season (the Tournament run, that BC game). Some terrible lowlights (the choke job at UNH).

But at the end of the day, another season that ended too early.
    It's been a very tough season for everyone. As a fan I never felt totally engaged with this season with everything else going on. I can't wait to get back to the Tsongas and start making plans for road trips again.

1- I think Welsch did enough to go into next season as the #1. That being said I think Savory will bounce back and challenge for the top spot. I believe he's a better goaltender than he showed.
    2 - Unless there's a reason for the lack of playing time I think Neaton has to move on. After being drafted he's only played in 6 games for Lowell over two seasons.
    I'm not sure if Harper will come in or not. He's put up great numbers in the NCDC this season but another year in the USHL playing regularly would be better than sitting in Lowell. Then again maybe he's ready to challenge for the top spot?
    3 - My guess is the seniors will not return for another season.
    5 - I think there will be some roster movement. I'm sure some on the roster will be looking for more playing time. The defense is crowded. By my count they will be at 11 with the addition of Jonsson and Blanchard.
    6 - I do think Brown/Berglund/Lee can take the next step, but other's will also need to step up. I thought Condotta, Chambers, Weeks and Kaiser played well this season. Hopefully they can provide more offense next season. One observation, of the 4 freshmen forward's only Armstrong-Kincade was able to earn regular playing time. I do think they have a shot at home ice.
    7 - At the moment with the current roster my guess would be just Cole (F), Jonsson (D), and Blanchard (D). I think Jonsson will be able to step right in. Cole will make 16 forwards so they may have room for one more. It would be nice to find an impact transfer that can help with the offense.
    8 - I agree with you about the defense. Too many mistakes by upperclassmen. Overall I think the defense will be fine going forward.
    Last edited by boblav1; 03-22-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Looks like Barton has signed with the Red Wings for 2 years

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLSec123 View Post
        Looks like Barton has signed with the Red Wings for 2 years
        The best of luck to Seth.
        Red Wings sign 2018 pick Seth Barton to entry-level contract - mlive.com

UML's Barton turns pro (wixsite.com)

Comment

• Mark Divver @MarkDivver
          Matt Brown will be a very nice get. Word is two dozen schools have already called about him

Brad Elliott Schlossman @SchlossmanGF
          A couple of additions to the transfer portal this morning: UMass Lowell sophomore forward Matt Brown, who led the team in points as a freshman and goals as a sophomore, is in. So is New Hampshire senior D Benton Maass, a Washington Caps draft pick.

Comment

• No surprise, Winnipeg Jets 2019 5th rounder Logan Neaton has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Brad Elliott Schlossman @SchlossmanGF
            Winnipeg Jets draft pick and sophomore goaltender Logan Neaton of UMass Lowell enters the transfer portal. He joins four others from Lowell looking to grad transfer - F Austin O'Rourke, D Dominick Procopio, D Anthony Baxter, D Nolan Sawchuk.
            Last edited by boblav1; 04-03-2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• I’ll miss having Matt Brown on the team. That’s a player Lowell can’t afford to lose. My expectations for next season are already lowered. Best of luck to all of the guys moving on. Barry Scanlon also confirmed Levesque and Sodergren won’t return for a 5th season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                I’ll miss having Matt Brown on the team. That’s a player Lowell can’t afford to lose. My expectations for next season are already lowered. Best of luck to all of the guys moving on. Barry Scanlon also confirmed Levesque and Sodergren won’t return for a 5th season.
                Yep. A lot of my hopes for next year depended on the trio of Brown/Lee/Berglund being here next season. This is terrible news for Lowell.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Adding insult to injury ... BC is the favorite currently to land Brown, according to Jeff Cox.
                  Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Something happen between Brown and Bazin?

Comment

• They're so secretive down there that it's tough to tell.
                      Monty

Comment

• I wonder if it has something to do with being benched and not taking to kindly to that? Either way the offense that already struggles is going to struggle more next season if they don't pick up a transfer or the in house guys progress.

Comment

• Not sure what's going on, but yet another player puts his name into the portal, this time Chase Blackmun.
                          Monty

Comment

• Really starting to wonder about that CC thing with Bazin.
                            Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              Really starting to wonder about that CC thing with Bazin.
                              Is he being mentioned? I know there was one guy saying CC should check in on him but I haven't been following it since.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Is he being mentioned? I know there was one guy saying CC should check in on him but I haven't been following it since.
                                Honestly no idea. But I think it's fair at this point to ask what's going on. You always have turnover on a roster, and so seeing some of the guys that didn't play much looking to transfer makes all the sense in the world. But Brown and Blackmun were integral to the team, and would have been next year as well. Barton signing with the Wings is a different matter, but that's a ton of talent to lose and unlike the BCs and BUs of the world, we don't have those types of recruits coming in that can backfill easily (I don't believe anyway).
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X