No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 2020-2021: Down the long hallway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ye gods.... that being said... holy cross... this LIU team is going to be... oof
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
      Former River Hawk Goalie Garrett Metcalf backstops LIU to an OT win in their first D1 game. Holy Cross out attempted LIU 93-26 per Mike McMahon. Insane.
      According to the box score on CHN, SOG were 41-15, and attempts ended up at 95-29. LIU blocked 27 shots in the game.
      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

According to the box score on CHN, SOG were 41-15, and attempts ended up at 95-29. LIU blocked 27 shots in the game.
        Former River Hawk Derek Osik was also in the lineup for LIU.

Comment

Lowell Sun article on Owen Savory.

Savory verbally commits to UML

Goalie will transfer from RPI

By Barry Scanlon

Correspondent

Goaltender U. has netted another top player.

UMass Lowell, long known for producing quality goaltenders, has landed a verbal commitment from Owen Savory, who decided to transfer from RPI after the Troy, N.Y., school announced, due to the pandemic, it would not play hockey during the 2020-21 season.

He’s considered a huge get for UML after he opted to join the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Savory will take classes at RPI until December. Unknown is when he will be eligible to play for UMass Lowell. In a best- case scenario, Savory will be eligible to play after Christmas. There’s a chance, though, he won’t become eligible until next September or December.

UML head coach Norm Bazin wasn’t able to comment on Savory because student hasn’t been officially accepted into the university.

Savory, 23, had two terrific seasons at RPI. The native

of Cambridge, Ont., was named an ECAC Second Team performer after an outstanding sophomore season which saw him rank in the top 10 in two categories.

Savory was tied for third in the nation with five shutouts and tied for seventh with a .932 save percentage. He went 13- 9-2 with a 2.06 goals against average as RPI made a nice turnaround. He allowed one goal or fewer in 11 games.

Savory did not play last season when UMass Lowell skated past RPI, 4- 0.

But he does have fond memories of playing at the Tsongas Center. He made his first collegiate start at UMass Lowell. He was superb, kicking aside 26 of 27 shots in RPI’s 2-1 victory.

Two days later, in Troy, N.Y., UML defeated Savory and RPI, 5-2. Savory made 30 saves that day.

Under Bazin, UML has featured outstanding goalies. Connor Hellebuyck is the gold standard. Hellethe buyck, who played two seasons at UML, has reached NHL stardom with the Winnipeg Jets. He recently was named the Vezina Trophy winner for being the NHL’s top goaltender.

Hellebuyck’s not the lone success story. Kevin Boyle transferred from UMass Amherst to UMass Lowell with little fanfare. Then he produced two solid seasons, his last one earning him co- Hockey East Player of the Year honors. His pro career has included five NHL games.

Then Tyler Wall took over. Wall graduated this past spring after winning more Division 1 games

than any goalie in UML’s history.

UML returns four of its top six scorers and all of its defensemen. Inexperience in net was expected to be the team’s major question mark. Sophomore Logan Neaton started only two games as a freshman. Current freshman Henry Welsch has no college games under his belt.

The arrival of Savory will give the River Hawks experience between the pipes, whenever he becomes eligible.

Comment

Restart the countdown clock for the season opener, as it (most likely) won't be this weekend. NU has shut down all winter sports till December 18th.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Down-Until.php
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Lowell is now playing PC at home this Saturday at 4pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                Lowell is now playing PC at home this Saturday at 4pm.
                Wonder why PC-BC was moved?????
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

UMass Lowell basketball takes down a (last season) competitive 20-win WCC team in the San Francisco Dons 76-68 down at Mohegan Sun. The Dons committed 21 second half fouls.

edit: this is the first time Lowell has won to start the season as a Division 1 squad

edit #2: these two teams were 200 ranks apart last year on one of the more reliable computer rankings
                  Last edited by Patman; 11-25-2020, 05:18 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Opener PPD at 10:50pm on Friday night

https://twitter.com/riverhawkhockey/...763080194?s=21
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Never saw anything about this in the long offseason, but the team's new Director of Hockey Operations this season is Dylan Zink.

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Never saw anything about this in the long offseason, but the team's new Director of Hockey Operations this season is Dylan Zink.
                        he sounds familiar...

edit: this software is a nightmare, i have a winking emoji in case the subtle joke misses

edit #2: I'll admit the subheading did have a point... mostly that the COVID environment is going to pose an ongoing hassle and that the season will move one day at a time.. What I'd "like" to see if the NCAA would extend the schedule out a month to May if they can get the venue to work with everybody. Pro team relationships probably mean it won't... but if this season went to one month to six weeks out that'd make a big difference.
                        Last edited by Patman; 11-28-2020, 05:01 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

As expected, the games against BC this weekend are officially postponed as well.

Despite not playing a game yet, Lowell moved up to #10 in both polls this week.

Comment

As expected, the games against BC this weekend are officially postponed as well.

Despite not playing a game yet, Lowell moved up to #10 in both polls this week.
                            So if we keep not playing, we'll be #1 by the end of January!
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

How many positive tests?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                How many positive tests?
                                As far as we know - 1, but the entire team had to be quarantined, which is why the games this weekend were postponed.

Comment

Working...
                                X