UMass Lowell 2020-2021: Down the long hallway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMass Lowell 2020-2021: Down the long hallway

No allusion to anything in particular. Might as well move forward with a new thread.

What does this year bring? Well, what did the last year? it ended in the tragedy of COVID and the related mess placed on society. Right now it looks like more of the same but like much of life right now it changes by the day and morphs. Some things carry on but then they don't. Some sports moves on but it doesn't. What will happen? Anybody's guess.

Hockey wise... goaltending is the question and will be the answer. Everything else? Who knows. Do we complete a season? Who knows. Will there be an NCAA tournament. Who knows. Lets take the moments and the celebration as it comes. We all need escapes from this year and to the student athletes who provide it for us, thank you, this year more than ever we all need the reprive.

I'd say "lets drop the puck" but I know too well to just assume that it will happen. If anything this year will show, nothing shall be taken for granted because the next game is not assured. May as well leave all effort out on the ice.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Union cancels their season.

https://unionathletics.com/news/2020...ey-season.aspx

Comment

Owen Savory incoming. https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...20524442726401

Comment

Anyway I hope the whole thing just gets shut down for the year. All college sports, really. Don't get me wrong I'm going to miss going to and watching games a whole lot, but for the good of these kids, their families, classmates, coaches, staff, and the whole country, just shut it down. We already just saw a week in college football where it would have been easier to list the games that were actually getting played than the ones that got cancelled, and the situation around the country is only getting exponentially worse.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
          He had really good numbers for RPI last year - https://rpiathletics.com/sports/mens...n-savory/15540

He's a junior, so he should be back next year too.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I wonder what that means for the two current guys on the roster?

Also, here's the TV/streaming information for this season.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

He had really good numbers for RPI last year - https://rpiathletics.com/sports/mens...n-savory/15540

He's a junior, so he should be back next year too.
              Owen has a very high compete level --never gives up on a play or a puck --absolute gamer. He came in with little fanfare and earned the starting job pretty early in his freshman year. Great locker room guy and on ice presence. He's not a big kid but he is very sound positionally and is more than capable of stealing goals and some games for Lowell. RPI coach Smith said he had several calls about Savory. He'll be missed at RPI but hope he has success at Lowell.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Another RPI fan here: congrats to Lowell on getting a future Richter finalist. He was already a top goaltender in the country, and now he gets to work with Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  I wonder what that means for the two current guys on the roster?
                  CHN article. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ansfers-to.php

A source told College Hockey News that Savory was waiting it out, hoping that RPI would move forward with the hockey season. Monday's decision forced his hand. RPI players have not been able to use the facilities since returning the campus, and in some cases have been paying their own money to practice off campus.

Savory is looking for a waiver that would allow him to play for Lowell in the second semester. Even without that, however, he would still be able to practice and work out with the team, something he hasn't been able to do at RPI.

Comment

Maine has postponed its scheduled home games with Massachusetts this weekend, due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.
                    UMass will now play a home and home with UConn.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ck-Season-.php

Greg Carvel @CoachCarvelUM
                    No worries #NewMass fans! The Minutemen and the UConn Huskies will be going at it this weekend!
                    Last edited by boblav1; 11-18-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      Maine has postponed its scheduled home games with Massachusetts this weekend, due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.
                      UMass will now play a home and home with UConn.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ck-Season-.php

Greg Carvel @CoachCarvelUM
                      No worries #NewMass fans! The Minutemen and the UConn Huskies will be going at it this weekend!
                      sounds like opportunistic scheduling is going to be the name of the game
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

A good friend of mine that lives in Troy and is a RPI season ticket holder has echoed the sentiments from the RPI fans here. Seems like we got a good kid, and a pretty good player as well.
                        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

According to Barry Scanlon, Owen will be eligible to play during the 2nd semester:
                          https://twitter.com/Scanlon65/status...18783539290116

His numbers are very impressive. He had a better statistical season than Tyler did last year, and Tyler played great.

Comment

Weird to see everything that's going on right now. Hockey East about to start play. On the other hand, ECHL's entire northeast group of teams is about to shut down.
                            Monty

Comment

Former River Hawk Goalie Garrett Metcalf backstops LIU to an OT win in their first D1 game. Holy Cross out attempted LIU 93-26 per Mike McMahon. Insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X