Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio State 2020-21 And you thought the Schott was empty before now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State 2020-21 And you thought the Schott was empty before now?

Well we're one week out from our opening games. Several B1G teams played this weekend. Thoughts, hopes, fears?

Looks as empty here on this thread as our arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Looks as empty here on this thread as our arena.
      You mean during the pandemic or in previous seasons? Guess it's the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post

You mean during the pandemic or in previous seasons? Guess it's the same.
        Pretty much, hence the reason for the thread's title.

Comment

Watching Minnesota last night they looked very solid. Ohio State will have their backs up against it playing them Monday & Tues.
          Minnesota will have two games under their belt to our none and the usual home ice advantage on that God awful huge ice!

Comment

Well it was what I feared. Minnesota played with great chemistry and familiarity of home ice. We didn't match up well physically.
            We started strong in the game but the Gophers adjusted quickly. I don't think we used the size of the ice to our advantage, seeming to allow several Gopher to converge on the guy with the puck but no quick outlet pass to the open player.
            The games first and second goals were defensive mistakes, all 5 guys on the same side of the ice leaving the back door wide open? And the second goal, poor coverage by #2 and his stick wasn't even on the ice.
            That being said I hate to get into it with the first game but the officiating seems blind to a hold behind our net with a little before 8 left in the 2nd followed by a trip with over 5 left in the 2nd followed by a stick slashed out of our hands. I's also say that cross check for the 3rd goal on the PP was a pretty weak call. Thought there should have been one for embellishment that would have been a much more legit call!
            Well that's my call on the game.
            It's over and behind us so lets see what tomorrow brings and if we can shake the rust off.
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-23-2020, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Well it was what I feared. Minnesota played with great chemistry and familiarity of home ice. We didn't match up well physically.
              We started strong in the game but the Gophers adjusted quickly. I don't think we used the size of the ice to our advantage, seeming to allow several Gopher to converge on the guy with the puck but no quick outlet pass to the open player.
              The games first and second goals were defensive mistakes, all 5 guys on the same side of the ice leaving the back door wide open? And the second goal, poor coverage by #2 and his stick wasn't even on the ice.
              That being said I hate to get into it with the first game but the officiating seems blind to a hold behind our net with a little before 8 left in the 2nd followed by a trip with over 5 left in the 2nd followed by a stick slashed out of our hands. I's also say that cross check for the 3rd goal on the PP was a pretty weak call. Thought there should have been one for embellishment that would have been a much more legit call!
              Well that's my call on the game.
              It's over and behind us so lets see what tomorrow brings and if we can shake the rust off.
              I thought they played very well after the first 23 minutes. Young team on the big ice against the best team in the league. they held there own after the gophers dominated the first period and a little of the 2nd. Tate's penalty that led to the 3rd goal was very dumb and not necessary. If they compete like that every night this team is going to be just fine. I want to see how they react tonight now that they have a game under there belt and Minnesota is playing 4th game in 6 nights.

Comment

I thought we played the opposite last night compared to Monday's game, we started slow and gained momentum having decent swarming the goal and generated many more scoring chances and beating Minnesota to the puck, but shot placement against a solid goalie is critical and that's were we were weak. You could tell Minnesota was slowing down as the game progressed but hard to tell if from us playing with more energy or their playing recently catching up with them.
                We have to reign in handing out PP's but I think next time on our ice we'll be more than a match for them. One last thing, on our breakaway he tried to deke the LaFontaine out of position to go low. IMHO top shelf corner is the money shot on a breakaway. If like last night you are so far ahead of the defender that you can take any shot you want unimpeded come in fast and point blank put a blazing wrister in one of the top corners as the only chance the goalie has is to guess which one you're going to, he guesses wrong it's a gimme goal!

Comment

Boy, with no one else posting in over a week I kind of feel like the guy whose friends ditched him to go do something without him!
                  We had a very strong opening period last night to give us momentum over Wisconsin. When we gave up 2 back to back goals in the 2nd Rhols burned his timeout and admonished the boys for going on cruise control when the game was far from over. It was hard to tell if we improved or Wisconsin's shortened roster hamstrung them but when the Badgers finally turned up the pressure the same flaws for us appeared in allowing guys to come in unimpeded on Tommy to shoot point blank on him right at the crease which is completely unacceptable defense.
                  Game two tonight at 5:30 on ESPNU and let's hope for the sweep.

Comment

Boy, with no one else posting in over a week I kind of feel like the guy whose friends ditched him to go do something without him!
                    We had a very strong opening period last night to give us momentum over Wisconsin. When we gave up 2 back to back goals in the 2nd Rhols burned his timeout and admonished the boys for going on cruise control when the game was far from over. It was hard to tell if we improved or Wisconsin's shortened roster hamstrung them but when the Badgers finally turned up the pressure the same flaws for us appeared in allowing guys to come in unimpeded on Tommy to shoot point blank on him right at the crease which is completely unacceptable defense.
                    Game two tonight at 5:30 on ESPNU and let's hope for the sweep.
                    I actually think UW had higher quality scoring chances in the 2nd and 3rd period but just didn't convert. I think OSU got away with a few penalties as well that did not get called that helped their cause. UW's D zone play was horrible in the 1st period.

This being game 2 with a short bench for UW makes OSU a heavy favorite today. I will say I was impressed with UW's jump in the 3rd yesterday, but it will catch up to then today sadly for my sake anyway.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I actually think UW had higher quality scoring chances in the 2nd and 3rd period but just didn't convert. I think OSU got away with a few penalties as well that did not get called that helped their cause. UW's D zone play was horrible in the 1st period.

This being game 2 with a short bench for UW makes OSU a heavy favorite today. I will say I was impressed with UW's jump in the 3rd yesterday, but it will catch up to then today sadly for my sake anyway.
                      I agree with your assessment, and if OSU gets overconfident or keeps letting your guys bring the puck all the way to the paint unimpeded it won't go well for us even if your squad's not 100% so I guess we'll see.

Comment

I've never been so happy to be completely wrong. Didn't see that one coming at all. Special teams were the difference in the game and Rowe was awesome in the 3rd period when OSU turned up the wick.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've never been so happy to be completely wrong. Didn't see that one coming at all. Special teams were the difference in the game and Rowe was awesome in the 3rd period when OSU turned up the wick.
                          It was my turn to think some calls didn't go our way but what difference would it make if you can't score on a 5 min major?

Comment

Just a few impressions so far. There's one thing missing and that's a player who wants the puck and is a threat to score when he has it. No Dzingel, Jobst or even Laczynski. That's going to continue to be a problem with this group until someone steps up.

From what can be seen on TV (since that's all we have) I've been somewhat pleased with Treolar and Cheremata. Gabrielle seems to be stepping up his game. Ahac looks lost to me so far. Westlund has been warm and cold.

Going to have to pay attention to who's coming next year to see if there's someone who's more of an offensive threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                              Just a few impressions so far. There's one thing missing and that's a player who wants the puck and is a threat to score when he has it. No Dzingel, Jobst or even Laczynski. That's going to continue to be a problem with this group until someone steps up.

From what can be seen on TV (since that's all we have) I've been somewhat pleased with Treolar and Cheremata. Gabrielle seems to be stepping up his game. Ahac looks lost to me so far. Westlund has been warm and cold.

Going to have to pay attention to who's coming next year to see if there's someone who's more of an offensive threat.
                              I thought Joe Dunlap show some great speed and took it to the net during the Michigan State series but he wasn't playing against Wisconsin which make me wonder why a kid with great stats and effort one week and not suited up the next could be anything but a health issue?

Comment

Working...
                              X