LSSU Lakers 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSSU Lakers 2020-21

Less than a week away from the start of the season so we might as well finally start the 2020-21 thread.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

I wonder how the new restrictions, expected to be announced later today, will affect the start of the season. Possibly, they will play in an empty arena, if they even play.

Comment

Originally posted by SectionP View Post
      I wonder how the new restrictions, expected to be announced later today, will affect the start of the season. Possibly, they will play in an empty arena, if they even play.
      Whatever the new restrictions turn out to be, a lot of people won't be happy. Whitmer's been on a big power trip ever since she was elected. I remember reading a few months ago that she's issued more executive orders than the governors of four or five of our surrounding states combined.

Comment

I'm sure Damon will be very unhappy about today.

Comment

All the games will go on as scheduled but no fans, at least for the the 3 week restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Whatever the new restrictions turn out to be, a lot of people won't be happy. Whitmer's been on a big power trip ever since she was elected. I remember reading a few months ago that she's issued more executive orders than the governors of four or five of our surrounding states combined.
            Taking away people's feelings about the restrictions or politics, how can a hockey program exist without fans in attendance? This isn't college football or basketball where TV rights bring in much of the revenue. My concern is that 3 weeks turns into the entire season, and I'm just not sure that's sustainable even for one season. It pains me to say as a fan, but without money coming in, is it almost better to not play at all? It costs real money to have a season.

The other problem is with the broadcast rights themselves. I usually subscribe to Flo, but the way that is set up I'm not willing to pay the high price for Flo with the uncertainty that the season or games could be canceled at any moment. I wonder if others will feel that way. If so, then there's another chunk of revenue not coming in, either, for schools. Maybe Flo subscriptions aren't large enough to make a significant difference, but financially this situation does not look good.

Schools are really backed into a tough situation, and in LSSU's case they thought they could have 500 fans safely just a couple of days ago, and now they have something else to worry about.
            Last edited by lakersparty; 11-16-2020, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Because god forbid the person we elected try to keep us safe.

Also, it did not come from Whitmer or an executive order, but from the Department of Health & Human Services

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
              I'm sure Damon will be very unhappy about today.
              Let's face it, I'm not sure much makes Damon happy
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post

Because god forbid the person we elected try to keep us safe.

Also, it did not come from Whitmer or an executive order, but from the Department of Health & Human Services

Let's face it, I'm not sure much makes Damon happy
                Seriously, you don't think the fact that it came from the HHS Dept is just Whitmer's way of getting around the Court decision saying she exceeded her authority? When the court ruled against her, she said there were other ways of doing what she wanted, and here we have it.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  All the games will go on as scheduled but no fans, at least for the the 3 week restrictions.
                  Although the chances of getting tickets were looking pretty slim, I had some small hope of getting up to the Soo for the Dec 6-7 series against UAH. Not any more.

There should be a Laker Hockey Talk show this week. It will be interesting to hear what Damon has to say.
                  Last edited by Bill; 11-16-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Seriously, you don't think the fact that it came from the HHS Dept is just Whitmer's way of getting around the Court decision saying she exceeded her authority? When the court ruled against her, she said there were other ways of doing what she wanted, and here we have it.
                    I can't say either way. But what I do know is that like it or not, her and her administration is doing what they think is best for the health of it's citizens (albeit the Flint water is still a ****show), which is more than I can say for some of the other states.

Yes, it's inconvenient. yes, some businesses will close and some markets will change because of it. But I'd rather come out of this Pandemic without having life-long complications because of this thing. If people would've just social distanced and wore masks when asked, the US would be in much better shape, but instead we got cries of "but muh freedoms".

But considering this is a Laker/hockey thread, I think that's enough political talk. We'll just have to agree that we have some fundamental differences.
                    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Although the chances of getting tickets were looking pretty slim, I had some small hope of getting up to the Soo for the Dec 6-7 series against UAH. Not any more.
                      Perhaps they could shift that series to mid December after the restrictions are (hopefully) lifted so fans can attend? I doubt it but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post

Taking away people's feelings about the restrictions or politics, how can a hockey program exist without fans in attendance?

The other problem is with the broadcast rights themselves. I usually subscribe to Flo, but the way that is set up I'm not willing to pay the high price for Flo with the uncertainty that the season or games could be canceled at any moment. .
                        There was an approach from WLUC about televising at least one game from the Soo this weekend, and then another when NMU visits. Lake State was willing, but Flo squashed it with an exorbitant broadcast rights fee.

It was a bad deal to lump the broadcast rights in with the streaming rights. Let's hope the CCHA is much smarter about that.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

There was an approach from WLUC about televising at least one game from the Soo this weekend, and then another when NMU visits. Lake State was willing, but Flo squashed it with an exorbitant broadcast rights fee.

It was a bad deal to lump the broadcast rights in with the streaming rights. Let's hope the CCHA is much smarter about that.
                          I really wish the new CCHA would reconsider their deal with them at this point. Flo seems to be on the downswing and making it difficult for local stations to carry games for people during coronavirus is disappointing to hear.

I liked Flo in years past, but they really seem like a pain to deal with. MLS teams DC United and FC Cincinnati have ditched them, and looking at their posted schedule it looks like the content previously from Big Ten Network Plus will no longer be there, either. They seem to be losing a ton of content and not just because of coronavirus. It's because they are difficult to deal with, expensive, and sometimes poor quality.

Comment

The Lakers will be shorthanded on D to start the season. Only 6 D-men will be available for the 1st game against Tech. Oliver is evidently still battling the injury he suffered the latter part of last season. Borshyov just arrived from Belarus; between civil unrest in Belarus, Covid, and getting his Visa squared away, he had a lot of problems getting here. And Bengstton won't be available for the 1st game although it sounds like he my be able to play in the 2nd game. Not sure when Oliver and Borshyov will be ready to go.

Comment

The Lakers will be shorthanded on D to start the season. Only 6 D-men will be available for the 1st game against Tech. Oliver is evidently still battling the injury he suffered the latter part of last season. Borshyov just arrived from Belarus; between civil unrest in Belarus, Covid, and getting his Visa squared away, he had a lot of problems getting here. And Bengstton won't be available for the 1st game although it sounds like he my be able to play in the 2nd game. Not sure when Oliver and Borshyov will be ready to go.
                              You sure Borshyov is matriculating this year? He's been playing in the NCDC (6 games thus far, going back to October 9th). Perhaps coming in at break?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...rtyom-borshyov

Comment

Working...
                              X