Ivy League cancels all winter sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivy League cancels all winter sports

Here's a link to the story. https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-to-covid-19/
    sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Will this start a domino effect?
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      Some neighboring schools to Ivy members are preparing to play some games, but it seems like concern regarding current COVID-related statistics in the Northeast is the bigger immediate threat to college sports.

Comment

11% of college hockey teams have been shut down before the season gets started.

Comment

Hey now, let's give credit where credit is due. RIT canceled its schedule long before the Ivy League erased its schedule. RIT was the first domino, not the Ivy League.
          Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 11-12-2020, 10:00 PM.
          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post

Hey now, let's give credit where credit is due. RIT canceled its schedule long before the Ivy League erased its schedule. RIT was the first domino, not the Ivy League.
            True, but it was only two days before the Ivy League announcement. Also, keep in mind that, unlike the Ivies, RIT is Division III in its other sports. Another Division III conference, NESCAC (Amherst, Wesleyan, Williams, etc.) canceled all winter sports in early October, weeks before the league RIT's other sports are in.

Comment

Weak but totally expected from the Ivies

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Harvard Basketball had 3 kids on campus this fall....tough to have a team with numbers that low.

Cal State Northridge Women's Hoops players opted out from the season. https://gomatadors.com/news/2020/11/...n-2020-21.aspx
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I am going to look at this selfishly. Let schools and conferences cancel until there are only 16 teams left as long as one is LSSU. I really want the Lakers NCAA tourney drought to end.

Comment

That's assuming a 16 team tournament. I doubt we see that this year. Probably a modified tournament with maybe 12 teams for a year. Waiting on NCAA for that. If you did that you could have 2 sites. Easier to manage than 4. If no fans maybe they do on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Agreed 100%. I wouldn't have expected anything less.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

It's the pussification of the country...How come I watched all-star basketball between Calf. and Nevada last night on t.v. I guess no covid there??? Different rules for different people??Drop the puck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

True, but it was only two days before the Ivy League announcement. Also, keep in mind that, unlike the Ivies, RIT is Division III in its other sports. Another Division III conference, NESCAC (Amherst, Wesleyan, Williams, etc.) canceled all winter sports in early October, weeks before the league RIT's other sports are in.
                          Many D-III conferences (6 or 8, I can't remember) have already cancelled winter sports, now including the Liberty League. RIT chose not to exempt the hockey programs from that cancellation. There is a petition from the players to re-instate the team, but I can't see that happening the way things are going in Upsate New York right now.
                          Another potential wrinkle for the ECAC is that 4 of their remaining 6 schools are also Liberty League members (RPI, CC, StL, Union). Have we heard any official word from any of those schools about whether the hockey teams can continue to compete? If something happened to them, the ECAC regular season may get a little monotonous with Colgate playing Quinnipiac every weekend. Not much suspense for who makes it to the championship game.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

As a Harvard season ticket holder this is disappointing, as you could space all the fans that attend by 6 feet and have plenty of space left over.

Comment

Army's first two games were PPD today

https://goarmywestpoint.com/news/202...ponements.aspx
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                              X