No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 20-21 Give Us A Reason To Believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you look at that... None of UMD, North Dakota, BC, Minnesota, BU, Denver in the title game...

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
      Would you look at that... None of UMD, North Dakota, BC, Minnesota, BU, Denver in the title game...
      More importantly, and for 11 years running, neither are the Badgers. Further, while anything is possible, the next year or two doesn't look like it will break that streak.

Comment

• Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
        More importantly, and for 11 years running, neither are the Badgers. Further, while anything is possible, the next year or two doesn't look like it will break that streak.
        Should've flapped our wings harder and flown faster.

On a less antagonistic note, I'm cautiously optimistic about the next few years. Culture, grit and hard work can keep the ship going in the right direction when you don't have as much talent. Pretty bummed that Emberson left the program though...

Comment

• I think if we are all being honest here, and Im not blaming the loss on it, but the ice sheet conditions gave BSU a serious advantage to counter Wisconsin's speed/skill advantage and turned the game into slush/slogfest that favored trap hockey.

On that note, if BSU plays that style then so be it, as much as we may not like it, teams have to be able to counter it. Wisconsin made at least 3 terrible bonehead plays in that game that cost them dearly (Beydoun, Kehrer, Beydoun) and you have to credit BSU for taking advantage of it. That is opportunistic hockey, not "low scoring" as was put earlier.

We need to put to bed thay BSU was the better team overall. I dont think anyone would say that, but on that day Wisconsin whiffed with mental errors, not due to coaching. I got frustrated personally at how they started playing hero hockey and just puckwatched Caufield expecting him to save them the last 3 games. Thats not good and the players should have been above that.

No way they dress 3 or 4 goalies next yr. 2, which leaves 1 on the outside looking in. I think we also need to be honest about the talent...if guys are 1st rnd picks, they are only sticking around 1 maybe 2yrs max. Just the way it is. 3rd rnd prob 3yrs, and thats What Emberson was there for. Hockey is completely difft than the 80s and even the 90s, NHL teams have scouts everywhere now, whereas back then college wasnt as big of a route to the NHL. So like it or not you have to mesh the 2yr guys with the 4yr guys and build a culture. It takes time, and I think TG, despite his weakness on the D side is finally learning that you cant blow thru on high end skill alone.

Comment

I don't give a rip what you said. I said 15 years because it is recent history. No duh any team can get hot in any one year and win it all. Why do you think only two teams have more than one title in the last 15 years? There is more parity nowadays than the golden years you always reference, which is why you're expectations set you up to be perpetually negative.

2006, 2010, and 2014 Wisconsin could straight up fly down the ice and they ran the 1-1-3. 2020 Wisconsin was probably the fastest team in the country and they got dumpstered by a Jacque Lemaire style trap team in the first round. Your beloved Heater/Rhino team supposedly could fly up and down the ice and look what happened to them. This "one style is the winning style" is ludicrous.

North Dakota has had 4 coaches since 78' and they had at least one leave (not fired). Wisconsin has had 4 coaches since then as well, 3/4 with a title (Granato only without).

I'm more into building a winning program cause clearly we don't have continued success like UND, Denver, Duluth, etc. Can't put the cart before the horse, no? Prior to this year, I think culture has been more the problem. Guys were playing for themselves instead of for each other or for the team. If Granato figures the culture thing out, that is a foundational building block that each team needs to have. It's something I've seen with UWSP (2 titles in the last 5 years and an undefeated season btw). It's something I started to see this year and I hope continues into next year and beyond. Keep building on that foundation. I hope Granato takes that approach.
            I want to be positive, but I am so jaded since the last 10 years have been so miserable (other than most of this year). But, I have to ask: so when they are under .500 next year, which is a distinct possibility, does that count to your "building a winning program?" If that happens, that would be 4 of the last 5 years being under .500? Maybe they can get some more back-up goalies to transfer in ....(OK I am just joking - see comments below)...
            Last edited by WiscTJK; 04-09-2021, 02:20 PM.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post

No way they dress 3 or 4 goalies next yr. 2, which leaves 1 on the outside looking in. I think we also need to be honest about the talent...if guys are 1st rnd picks, they are only sticking around 1 maybe 2yrs max. Just the way it is. 3rd rnd prob 3yrs, and thats What Emberson was there for. Hockey is completely difft than the 80s and even the 90s, NHL teams have scouts everywhere now, whereas back then college wasnt as big of a route to the NHL. So like it or not you have to mesh the 2yr guys with the 4yr guys and build a culture. It takes time, and I think TG, despite his weakness on the D side is finally learning that you cant blow thru on high end skill alone.
              I am guessing Grannan gets pushed back or relieved of his NLI. I agree not going to have 4 goalies on the roster.

They can't build a culture and winning program by being weak on the defensive side. By the transfers they have brought in, it's apparent the goalie recruiting needs to improve as well. And I do appreciate guys transferring here, and want them to succeed...Beydoun turned out pretty good, and I hope Moe does as well and gives good competition for Rowe.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Congrats to Cole Caufield. I was hard on him last year for his lack of effort defensively, and he really picked it up this year.

https://twitter.com/BadgerMHockey/st...50463905918980

Comment

• On the D side I agree...they need workhorses that are 3 and 4yr guys that build into NHL level talent. Im interested to see whatbhappens to Spencer Knight at BC. With LaFontaine staying, I feel like he will too...Goalies are a little longer in the tooth for development. I think Rowe is going to be the bellweather for TG...whether Rowe likes it or not, a lot is riding on his shoulders. If he can get good blue line play, I think they will be ok.

I think we also need to realize the Big10 is effing tough to win. I give the NCHC props but I dont ever see Western Michigan or Miami or CC ever really competing yr in and yr out for a title there. And as much as people harken back to the days of the WCHA, it got too big and was untenable...realignment was inevitable. Between an Alaska, Bemidji St, Mankato, and St. Cloud all joining, the luster and rivals were gone. Hell ND, Mich, and Mich St were in the WCHA until 81, so really we gained rivals back. Wisconsins down yrs, BTNs crappy coverage, and Penn St playing firewagon hockey didnt help. I think the proverbial feet are under the Big10 now. Thankfully.

Comment

• Cole Caufield's pro debut for the Laval Rocket last night - 2G (2nd was the game winner), 1A, +1, 5 SOG, and named as game's 1st star in a 5-3 win over the Toronto Marlies.

Not a bad night after winning the Hobey Baker earlier in the day!

Game 2 Saturday afternoon - 1G (another GWG), 4 SOG in a 4-3 win over Toronto
                    Last edited by Hoover; 04-10-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

I want to be positive, but I am so jaded since the last 10 years have been so miserable (other than most of this year). But, I have to ask: so when they are under .500 next year, which is a distinct possibility, does that count to your "building a winning program?" If that happens, that would be 4 of the last 5 years being under .500? Maybe they can get some more back-up goalies to transfer in ....(OK I am just joking - see comments below)...
                      I reject the assumption that they will be sub .500. Granato has not had a team score less than three goals per game since he started coaching here. On the other hand, he has had ONE season where they gave up less than 3.25 goals per game (this season: 2.58). Prior to this year, they were trending from giving up 3.28 goals against per game in 16-17 to 3.75 goals against per game in 19-20. I attribute that to losing a bunch of player's mentally and the lack of culture on the team. That and if I'm being completely honest: Miller and Kalynuk sucked so hard at defense and fast transition out of the d-zone and the d-core was just not that good (Don't even get me started on Linhart). Remember, Corbin McGuire was arguably our best dman in 16-17 when Granato took over...

I expect them to have less success next year. But I'm not willing to write the season off as a sub .500 season till I see them play. I think people are failing to realize that the defensive play was the most improved factor and IMO the most important factor to getting back to the NCAA tournament. We also don't know how players will do in elevated roles. We've seen their numbers in lesser roles. We also don't know how the incoming freshman will do.

Comment

I expect them to have less success next year. But I'm not willing to write the season off as a sub .500 season till I see them play. I think people are failing to realize that the defensive play was the most improved factor and IMO the most important factor to getting back to the NCAA tournament. We also don't know how players will do in elevated roles. We've seen their numbers in lesser roles. We also don't know how the incoming freshman will do.
                        Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

It really was a coup for TG to wrestle CC and BC from OSU. That move ended up fueling this last year. This year we really saw how special CC is. The game is so slow for him when he shoots. It's going to be really interesting to see how his NHL career develops.

I saw a tweet with a slightly older list of guys who are in the portal. There's some very high scoring guys in there, some guys with horrific career +/-'s, and there are 31 goalies.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

It really was a coup for TG to wrestle CC and BC from OSU. That move ended up fueling this last year. This year we really saw how special CC is. The game is so slow for him when he shoots. It's going to be really interesting to see how his NHL career develops.

I saw a tweet with a slightly older list of guys who are in the portal. There's some very high scoring guys in there, some guys with horrific career +/-'s, and there are 31 goalies.
                          https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...transfer-board

There are certainly a number of good players available in the transfer portal.

Comment

https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...transfer-board

There are certainly a number of good players available in the transfer portal.
                            Yeah, FA has come to college sports at last.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I reject the assumption that they will be sub .500. Granato has not had a team score less than three goals per game since he started coaching here.
                              If I’ve counted correctly, we’re losing something like 60% of our goals from last year. I’ll have to double check and see how many GP we’re losing as well.

Its a level of goal scoring loss we’ve most recently seen after the 2006 title and the 2010 FF run. The following seasons didn’t go well.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Yeah, FA has come to college sports at last.
                                The free, immediate transfer is a temporary COVID rule. We will still have grad transfers, the bonus year of eligibility will add to that, but otherwise it’ll take an act of NCAA permanently getting rid of the “sit out a year” rule to make this weirdness last.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X