No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 20-21 Give Us A Reason To Believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goalie talk...hmmm. Where do I begin. There are so many variables, but at the outset, there are only a very few elite level goalies that are dominant at the D1 level...and they usually don't come in gangbusters either. They usually (not saying there aren't exceptions) develop and then come into their own their JR and SR year. Let's be straight up, Brian Elliot was the best tender since the Derkster, and those guys were 13yrs apart. Melanson was pretty good. But all three benefited from having amazing D lines and in some cases just lights out offense in front of them (Heatley/Reinprecht?!) So in that regard, as I said before, the .900-.930 is damn solid tending territory, but it means you have great D as well in front of you. Guys that have terrific zone awareness and know how to defend without hurting the team to limit grade A chances for the opponent. Above .930 I think is where you really have unteachable talent bc you are making some stupid good saves while maintaining discipline.

I think Hayton was a great G, in the ECAC. A defensive minded conference that doesn't generate the shots on goal nor the speed of the teams in the Big10. He was exposed when he had an avg (at best) in front of him and then was put into a shooting gallery. I think we missed out on the ability to develop Jurisik/Berry. But the limit on Coaches is tough in hockey. Football gets umpteen hundred coaches and support staff and hockey gets almost nothing. Really don't understand why the NCAA doesn't allow a 4th coach, solely for G. That being said, I've always been leery of offensive minded blue liners. Having Kalynuk and Miller on the ice was a liability, and it showed the last 3 yrs. They should be opportunistic, not focused, on offense. T Bakes has been awesome this year. He is a lot more disciplined too. They are not taking penalties and putting the team in a position to win.

While the 70s and 80's were the "golden era", since the 90s, and especially in the last 20yrs, college hockey has significantly grown. It's not just WCHA/CCHA vs Hockey East/Ivies anymore. Elite levels of talent, and just the number of competitive teams is so much more than it used to be. It is really difficult to put up close to 30 wins now a days. The ability for classic teams to stockpile is long since gone, and I genuinely believe making a run is a crap shoot. G development is key, but it really is a "strike while the iron is hot" situation now when teams get hot. I'll save my "people who whine about BTN+ and the negative Nancy" post for later I need a beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I’m so jaded at this point.
      It's nice seeing them put up some decent numbers lately, but I just can't get excited about it anymore. Honestly, my enthusiasm in sports is at an all-time low.

It's almost as if I've realize there are a ton more important things in the world. Just wish I could figure out why.....
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
        Goalie talk...hmmm. Where do I begin. There are so many variables, but at the outset, there are only a very few elite level goalies that are dominant at the D1 level...and they usually don't come in gangbusters either. They usually (not saying there aren't exceptions) develop and then come into their own their JR and SR year. Let's be straight up, Brian Elliot was the best tender since the Derkster, and those guys were 13yrs apart. Melanson was pretty good. But all three benefited from having amazing D lines and in some cases just lights out offense in front of them (Heatley/Reinprecht?!) So in that regard, as I said before, the .900-.930 is **** solid tending territory, but it means you have great D as well in front of you. Guys that have terrific zone awareness and know how to defend without hurting the team to limit grade A chances for the opponent. Above .930 I think is where you really have unteachable talent bc you are making some stupid good saves while maintaining discipline.

I think Hayton was a great G, in the ECAC. A defensive minded conference that doesn't generate the shots on goal nor the speed of the teams in the Big10. He was exposed when he had an avg (at best) in front of him and then was put into a shooting gallery. I think we missed out on the ability to develop Jurisik/Berry. But the limit on Coaches is tough in hockey. Football gets umpteen hundred coaches and support staff and hockey gets almost nothing. Really don't understand why the NCAA doesn't allow a 4th coach, solely for G. That being said, I've always been leery of offensive minded blue liners. Having Kalynuk and Miller on the ice was a liability, and it showed the last 3 yrs. They should be opportunistic, not focused, on offense. T Bakes has been awesome this year. He is a lot more disciplined too. They are not taking penalties and putting the team in a position to win.

While the 70s and 80's were the "golden era", since the 90s, and especially in the last 20yrs, college hockey has significantly grown. It's not just WCHA/CCHA vs Hockey East/Ivies anymore. Elite levels of talent, and just the number of competitive teams is so much more than it used to be. It is really difficult to put up close to 30 wins now a days. The ability for classic teams to stockpile is long since gone, and I genuinely believe making a run is a crap shoot. G development is key, but it really is a "strike while the iron is hot" situation now when teams get hot. I'll save my "people who whine about BTN+ and the negative Nancy" post for later I need a beer.
        If you look at Matt Galajda or Keith Petruzelli, you'll see a couple tendies who will be in the NHL. They don't get noticed here as they play out east. I've yet to see a Big 10 goalie compare. Even LaFontaine.

Comment

• I appreciate you posting this!

Comment

• Beydoun-Rowe showing similarities to Bruckler-Elliott

Change my mind.
            Last edited by digitalbooya; 02-13-2021, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• DSP! Love it!

Comment

• Beydoun has been awful today.

Comment

• Well, one day after the milwaukee journal notices Madison has a hockey team and says they’ve rejoined the elite, Wisconsin got shelled by Michigan. A win today is an absolute must.

Going 1-3 against Michigan, even with their one and dones or two and dones is unacceptable but then again, par for the course.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Good team win and a nice bounce back after yesterday.

Comment

• Saturday....My boy Kehrer was at least -4. Overall really bad in transition. I don't think Robbie was terrible by any means. I switched over the the gals for the 3rd period, though I was recording in case it was the comeback of the century.

Sunday....a win in a must win game. They really did a great job in transition other than the 1st UM goal. Kehrer made up for the -4 by blocking a sure goal on a backside chance in the 2nd period. Handily outshot UM even with going a little cautious in the 3rd. I did not like all the icings late in the 3rd, you are just asking for trouble.

Gotta take are of business the last 6. I'd love to see a 20 win season, but I guess 5-1 over the last 6 is ok. UND scares me a bit just with how great they have been defensively in the past.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Saturday....My boy Kehrer was at least -4. Overall really bad in transition. I don't think Robbie was terrible by any means. I switched over the the gals for the 3rd period, though I was recording in case it was the comeback of the century.

Sunday....a win in a must win game. They really did a great job in transition other than the 1st UM goal. Kehrer made up for the -4 by blocking a sure goal on a backside chance in the 2nd period. Handily outshot UM even with going a little cautious in the 3rd. I did not like all the icings late in the 3rd, you are just asking for trouble.

Gotta take are of business the last 6. I'd love to see a 20 win season, but I guess 5-1 over the last 6 is ok. UND scares me a bit just with how great they have been defensively in the past.
                        Kehrer’s block was amazing. In years past, that dman would be on the opposite side of the net and would result in an easy tap in.

With the remaining games, just don’t lose. I think Michigan can get a win again Minnesota. Should be a fun end to a pretty good year!

Comment

• Much better effort Sunday versus Saturday and it showed. Michigan is a very good team. They should win the last 6, but will they show up complete for those games? I don't know. History says no. We will see.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• I am going to go back and watch the game on Saturday, but I thought their effort and execution in the first period was spot on. They had a great forecheck, played disciplined in the neutral zone and didnt let Michigan get any easy shots off. The 2nd period it felt like all of those things just dissapeared. The fourth goal Beydoun gave up was on him. He just missed it. But the D didnt get a stick on him and let him skate from center ice all the way up to the left face off untouched. That cannot happen. The goal given up by Rowe in the 3rd, nothing you can do about that one. I thought the offebse had a lot of great chances in the second and tgird and just didnt get the puck in the net. Was a tough loss but I think closer than what the scoreboard said.

Sunday game was much better and they sustained their D zone awareness and discipline pretty much the whole game. Bounced back on the road to get a win. That's important.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
                              I am going to go back and watch the game on Saturday, but I thought their effort and execution in the first period was spot on. They had a great forecheck, played disciplined in the neutral zone and didnt let Michigan get any easy shots off. The 2nd period it felt like all of those things just dissapeared. The fourth goal Beydoun gave up was on him. He just missed it. But the D didnt get a stick on him and let him skate from center ice all the way up to the left face off untouched. That cannot happen. The goal given up by Rowe in the 3rd, nothing you can do about that one. I thought the offebse had a lot of great chances in the second and tgird and just didnt get the puck in the net. Was a tough loss but I think closer than what the scoreboard said.

Sunday game was much better and they sustained their D zone awareness and discipline pretty much the whole game. Bounced back on the road to get a win. That's important.
                              One of the ways to judge a goalie is rebound control. Beydoun was coughing up huge rebounds right to quality scoring areas. It started near the end of the 1st period, when Michigan shot a rebound between Beydoun’s legs and just missed the net, and continued after.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                                One of the ways to judge a goalie is rebound control. Beydoun was coughing up huge rebounds right to quality scoring areas. It started near the end of the 1st period, when Michigan shot a rebound between Beydoun’s legs and just missed the net, and continued after.
                                Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Personally, I would have left Robbie in the game. It was 4-1. It wasn't out of reach, but I would let him use the 3rd period to work through some things and get some confidence back. If they had come back and won it would have done a lot for the psych of the team. I/we just hate TG's management of the goalies.

So does he come back with Robbie or Cam? Last time he back to backed Cam it didn't work out.

I sure would like a 20 win season, though a single digit loss season would be awesome.

Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X