No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 20-21 Give Us A Reason To Believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit disappointed the gophers are still ahead of us in the polls. 12 - 2 wasn't enough?

Comment

• I've been lurking for quite a while...going to a few games each year, and watching/listening to every game consistently for quite a while (Since about the 99/00 team with Reinprecht/Heatley, etc). It's just my humble opinion based on what I watched happen, but I think TG wanted insta-Goalie, and he chased that ghost for too many years by showing someone serviceable like Jurusik the door, whiffing on Hayton (glove side high much? lol) And then jerking around Berry and Lebs with the neurotic mind of a gambler just jonesing for that next payout). Those three were ok, just thought Jurusik was handed a bad gig. That being said, the blue liners have been infinitely better with things as fundamental as PK, not taking dumb penalties, and defensive zone awareness. Granted that means you aren't asking the goalies to work miracles, just a few big saves a because the D has played within the game (I can't tell ya how many times I screamed at the TV for Greenway/Kalynuk/Miller to watch the back side while they were staring at the puck in the opposite corner). I have never been a fan of how TG doesn't hesitate to throw the goalie under the bus, and it probably scared high end recruits away after Jurusik was shown the door. But Rowe/Garrity/Grannan are the first "high end" goalies Bucky will be able to develop from cradle to grave...in year 5. Think about that for a second. Not saying it's all going to be peachy, it just is something to think about. I think we got lucky with Beydoun that he has panned out above expectations...Pelton-Byce was probably the best transfer TG got for leadership and continuity. This team has "want to." The 16/17 team with Kunin I think got lucky after so many were shown the door and snuck up on folks to barely miss the Tourney (1 OT goal away). This next series is big...at Mich...Yost hasn't been kind to the Badgers, but UM is coming off basically a no activity hiatus for 2 full weekends. Momentum is fickle, I look to see them sustain the "want to."

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
        Bit disappointed the gophers are still ahead of us in the polls. 12 - 2 wasn't enough?
        I don't want to say I'm glad they are ranked beneath MN, but 1) Pollsters have been burned BAD by the Badgers in the past few years, and 2) I'd rather they feel slighted and go skate their rear ends off at Mich.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Stange and Matty DSPh will pick up the some of the load, they are proven scorers at the USHL level and will be on the #1 pp. Urdahl is averaging just about a point a game right now in the USHL. And Corson Ceulemans is a high first round draft pick coming in @ D next year. Yes scoring will be down some, but with Solid D play and goaltending they will be in the top 10 all year. I would love for TPB to stay on.

Bring on the other UM team. I can't wait for next weekend. Let's go RED!
          Yeah, I’m hoping for breakout seasons for MSP
          and Stange next season. I forgot about Urdahl, but yeah the next CC is going to be a great addition to the D.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• One thing I miss from bygone days is the game week threads, and this series would have been a good one. It will be the one to watch this weekend. Yost really would have been jumping without covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
              I've been lurking for quite a while...going to a few games each year, and watching/listening to every game consistently for quite a while (Since about the 99/00 team with Reinprecht/Heatley, etc). It's just my humble opinion based on what I watched happen, but I think TG wanted insta-Goalie, and he chased that ghost for too many years by showing someone serviceable like Jurusik the door, whiffing on Hayton (glove side high much? lol) And then jerking around Berry and Lebs with the neurotic mind of a gambler just jonesing for that next payout). Those three were ok, just thought Jurusik was handed a bad gig. That being said, the blue liners have been infinitely better with things as fundamental as PK, not taking dumb penalties, and defensive zone awareness. Granted that means you aren't asking the goalies to work miracles, just a few big saves a because the D has played within the game (I can't tell ya how many times I screamed at the TV for Greenway/Kalynuk/Miller to watch the back side while they were staring at the puck in the opposite corner). I have never been a fan of how TG doesn't hesitate to throw the goalie under the bus, and it probably scared high end recruits away after Jurusik was shown the door. But Rowe/Garrity/Grannan are the first "high end" goalies Bucky will be able to develop from cradle to grave...in year 5. Think about that for a second. Not saying it's all going to be peachy, it just is something to think about. I think we got lucky with Beydoun that he has panned out above expectations...Pelton-Byce was probably the best transfer TG got for leadership and continuity. This team has "want to." The 16/17 team with Kunin I think got lucky after so many were shown the door and snuck up on folks to barely miss the Tourney (1 OT goal away). This next series is big...at Mich...Yost hasn't been kind to the Badgers, but UM is coming off basically a no activity hiatus for 2 full weekends. Momentum is fickle, I look to see them sustain the "want to."
              Your analysis of the goaltending situation, a position in which I have obsessed with since the Dean Anderson years, is 100% correct. If only he had left Jurusik alone. That being said, the D playing like pewee B's playing A's for the last 3 years didn't help either.

The fact that UM hasn't played (or even practiced) for weeks will help, but even if they had played the last 2 weeks I'd expect at least a split and a sweep is certainly not out of the question. The biggest thing is UW has 2 lines that are forces, not just one, so even with the last change UM kinda has to pick their poison. And the 3rd and 4th lines are completely dependable except for taking a bad penalty too often.

I loved that last weekend Baker was just all over the rodents physically without getting sent to the box, and even drew the 5 minute major. I hope he can continue that style of play.

I hate goalie tandems, but you pretty much have to go with the same set-up and play both this weekend the way they are both playing. TG can't be jerking around the Robster and Cam with the neurotic mind of a gambler just jonesing for that next payout (Yeah that is an AWESOME line). Please just be consistent, but we know TG won't be able to do that.

Super excited for the weekend. Is it Friday yet?

And welcome aboard/back to the new/newish posters. On Wisconsin!
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                Bit disappointed the gophers are still ahead of us in the polls. 12 - 2 wasn't enough?
                I don't think they could have jumped UW that far and dumped MN that far to get UW past the rodents. I am surprised we're head of UM. I thought they'd have UW one notch under them since they are going head to head this weekend and that will settle that.

Comment

I don't think they could have jumped UW that far and dumped MN that far to get UW past the rodents.
                  Why not? Who's the better team right now? It's not like it's a fluke; UM is 4-4 in their last 8 games, UW is 7-1.

But I know they're reluctant to move teams too far too fast. Might look like they were wrong in the past, and we can't have that, ;-). And it doesn't matter. What matters is how UW plays going forward.

Comment

• From the goal tending perspective, I know a lot of folks look at losing on Opilka when he decommitted and chose the OHL over the Badgers as an inflection point that brought on some dark tending days. However, he didnt even last 2 years in the OHL before multiple hip surgeries and then retirement. With the way Rumpel got lit up his last year, and how close Jurisik, Berry, and Lebs were to that .900 SV% mark, I genuinely believe the fall off with the blue liners were the main culprit. I dont think those 3 were amazing tenders, they each had their faults, but were consistently put in awful positions as well. Kunin, Frederic, Hughes, Malone just couldnt make up for the lack of D. Still...TG went chasing for a messiah G and jerked the tenders around instead of being methodical about their development.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
                      From the goal tending perspective, I know a lot of folks look at losing on Opilka when he decommitted and chose the OHL over the Badgers as an inflection point that brought on some dark tending days. However, he didnt even last 2 years in the OHL before multiple hip surgeries and then retirement. With the way Rumpel got lit up his last year, and how close Jurisik, Berry, and Lebs were to that .900 SV% mark, I genuinely believe the fall off with the blue liners were the main culprit. I dont think those 3 were amazing tenders, they each had their faults, but were consistently put in awful positions as well. Kunin, Frederic, Hughes, Malone just couldnt make up for the lack of D. Still...TG went chasing for a messiah G and jerked the tenders around instead of being methodical about their development.
                      I love goalie talk. What is your take on the coaching situation at goalie? We never really saw much improvement though it may have been masked by the mind games TG was playing. What are your thoughts? I still don't understand how Hayton could go from all EZAC to being not good in the span of less than a year.

Comment

• This is going to make it that much harder when they regress towards the mean in a few weeks.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by exileondaytonstreet View Post
                          this is going to make it that much harder when they regress towards the mean in a few weeks.
                          noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            I’m so jaded at this point.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              I’m so jaded at this point.
                              Yes, you and hundreds (probably thousands) like yourself and I don't blame any of you or anyone for feeling that way.

This is a different team. Kehrer and Peltonen are > than Kalynuk and Miller. Goaltending is easier with solid D zone play. They have been making some big saves. They are making all the saves they "should" be. Holloway is opportunity making machine. CC is finishing as we all thought he could/should. Linus is having a great year, his skating looks effortless out there, great vision. TPB is sneaky good out there. Baker is laying the wood legally, playing the Burish role. All I can say is enjoy it this season.

I know I was ripping on the 5 F pp right after everyone got back, but since they all have gelled since getting back from absences, it looks like pure genius.

I still think Holloway could do more 5 on 5 with changes to his linemates.

Comment

Working...
                              X