2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

Audience for the title game fell off a cliff on ESPN2. UMD's win over UMass got just 321,000 viewers. Lowest for a title game since 1995. Game should be on ESPN, but network had UFC prelims in that primetime slot this year. IMHO NCAA should dump ESPN and contract with NBCSports.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SteveO;6797394]Audience for the title game fell off a cliff on ESPN2. UMD's win over UMass got just 321,000 viewers. Lowest for a title game since 1995. Game should be on ESPN, but network had UFC prelims in that primetime slot this year. IMHO NCAA should dump ESPN and contract with NBCSports.[/QUOT

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        Audience for the title game fell off a cliff on ESPN2. UMD's win over UMass got just 321,000 viewers. Lowest for a title game since 1995. Game should be on ESPN, but network had UFC prelims in that primetime slot this year. IMHO NCAA should dump ESPN and contract with NBCSports.
        NCAA hockey is tied to bouncyball and football....no one wants to show college hockey.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• [QUOTE=palmettofriar;6797410]
          Audience for the title game fell off a cliff on ESPN2. UMD's win over UMass got just 321,000 viewers. Lowest for a title game since 1995. Game should be on ESPN, but network had UFC prelims in that primetime slot this year. IMHO NCAA should dump ESPN and contract with NBCSports.[/QUOTE
          best quote EVAHHHHHH
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

IMHO NCAA should dump ESPN and contract with NBCSports.
            Your post points out the problem exactly. Think about what you just said. "Lowest for a title game since 1995." Why do you think they chose UFC over college hockey? Duh...because MORE PEOPLE WATCH IT. We should be LUCKY it's on TV at all. Dump ESPN? You act like people are in line clamoring to show this. Lacrosse is more popular - remember the 8 overtime lacrosse game in 2009 that forced them to join the regionals "in progress?" If it weren't for ESPN, the games wouldn't be on AT ALL. What makes you think anyone else would WANT the contract?

Why is everyone in denial that this is a NICHE sport and practically nobody outside of the "hotbed' areas cares??????

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Lacrosse is more popular - remember the 8 overtime lacrosse game in 2009 that forced them to join the regionals "in progress?"
              Lax is equally niche, if not more so. I think the 2016 Championship game drew like 260k on ESPN? Of course, their Championship Weekend is ALWAYS held within driving distance of 80% of the teams, so....

r

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Club level SUUUUUCKED this year. Bathroom lines were horrid.
                I know what you are talking about. On the corner near 222 there was one restroom that only had room for three men. I moved around and found wide open ones in other areas with at least a dozen spots. Also went upstairs and found them almost empty.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                  I know what you are talking about. On the corner near 222 there was one restroom that only had room for three men. I moved around and found wide open ones in other areas with at least a dozen spots. Also went upstairs and found them almost empty.
                  BIngo. I didn't want to take the time to find another one because I figured if the one was bad, ALL of them were going to suck. Dumb on my part. The women's bathroom right next to it never had a line.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Your post points out the problem exactly. Think about what you just said. "Lowest for a title game since 1995." Why do you think they chose UFC over college hockey? Duh...because MORE PEOPLE WATCH IT. We should be LUCKY it's on TV at all. Dump ESPN? You act like people are in line clamoring to show this. Lacrosse is more popular - remember the 8 overtime lacrosse game in 2009 that forced them to join the regionals "in progress?" If it weren't for ESPN, the games wouldn't be on AT ALL. What makes you think anyone else would WANT the contract?

Why is everyone in denial that this is a NICHE sport and practically nobody outside of the "hotbed' areas cares??????
                    Statements like the one in bold above will only continue to propagate a very negative outlook on marketing college hockey. ESPN doesn't care at all about hockey in general anymore and IIRC hasn't shown an NHL regular season game in roughly 15 years.

It was encouraging recently to see Bettman and company announce last year the NHL’s joint plans with the NHLPA to sponsor an NCAA feasibility study at five universities (University of Illinois and others). NHL hockey administrators appear to recognize that the NHL will gain immensely from the expansion of college hockey programs and they're putting money on it.

“We’ve seen firsthand what Penn State has done,” says Rob Zepp, special projects manager for the NHLPA. “We’re trying to identify markets that could replicate that success around the country. We’re not closed off to any regions. To continue moving into some nontraditional markets would be exciting". The NHL's partnership in transforming NCAA college hockey's exposure from a niche sport to a larger media footprint is a critical piece of that vision too. IMO it's not far from becoming reality in the near future and the stigma of college hockey being a "niche sport" will eventually fade with the help of the NHL.

Comment

I think NCAA hockey will be fine in the long run.

Home attendance has been relatively stagnant since the 1990s, but the reputation of college hockey as a whole (and alumni playing in the show) is greatly increasing, and the involvement of the NHL in funding feasibility studies to expand is worth noting. Youth registration is up considerably as well.

Slowly, but surely, I truly believe that we are growing, and will one day eclipse 500k for the title game. Maybe even outdraw a rerun of an MMA review show. Who knows.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

College hockey won't ever be a TV juggernaut in my lifetime, but it wasn't even available at all on national TV until the late 80's or so, and that was only the NC game.

This the Golden Age, my brothers. Every Regional game is out there, and most are on The World-Wide Leader, one way or the other.

I really don't care which outlet makes that happen, as long as it happens. The middle-day of that event (wall-to-wall college hockey) is my Super Bowl.

Comment

Statements like the one in bold above will only continue to propagate a very negative outlook on marketing college hockey. ESPN doesn't care at all about hockey in general anymore and IIRC hasn't shown an NHL regular season game in roughly 15 years.

It was encouraging recently to see Bettman and company announce last year the NHL’s joint plans with the NHLPA to sponsor an NCAA feasibility study at five universities (University of Illinois and others). NHL hockey administrators appear to recognize that the NHL will gain immensely from the expansion of college hockey programs and they're putting money on it.

“We’ve seen firsthand what Penn State has done,” says Rob Zepp, special projects manager for the NHLPA. “We’re trying to identify markets that could replicate that success around the country. We’re not closed off to any regions. To continue moving into some nontraditional markets would be exciting". The NHL's partnership in transforming NCAA college hockey's exposure from a niche sport to a larger media footprint is a critical piece of that vision too. IMO it's not far from becoming reality in the near future and the stigma of college hockey being a "niche sport" will eventually fade with the help of the NHL.
                          As of right now the NHL has more stability than at any other time in their league history it's why they are spot on with finding potential college towns who will support college hockey!
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            As of right now the NHL has more stability than at any other time in their league history it's why they are spot on with finding potential college towns who will support college hockey!
                            Average attendance hasn’t changed much at the college level in the last 25 years BUT we also have about 12 or so more programs than there were in the early 90s, and the smaller schools do seem to show some signs of growth potential (for crying out loud: BENTLEY got a new rink).

We aren’t anywhere special now, but I fully believe that we will grow our little niche in the long run.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Average attendance hasn’t changed much at the college level in the last 25 years .
                              Source?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Source?
                                USCHO figures go back to 2002 or so. Some of the rest has to be filled in from information in media guides and the like (so it’s not perfect by any stretch).

Anyways, I have all this sitting in a google doc.

Comment

Working...
                                X