X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Do those leagues count, really? Aren't those the leagues where everyone goes just to watch the fights, or doesn't go and watches fighting highlight videos later?
    Hahaha, it's debatable for sure. I think that's why he wasn't in my spreadsheet before... But I think I'm going to keep up with "anyone playing hockey". So I think it still counts, as it's technically still hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
      Just going to throw this out there from the paper local to BGSU...

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/b...s/20190407154/
      I think he's overestimating the allure of coaching one's own alma mater. For some coaches, sure, it's a goal, but it doesn't seem like there are all that many doing it.

Of course, BG lost their coach for exactly that reason, so maybe it's on their minds.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Just going to throw this out there from the paper local to BGSU...

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/b...s/20190407154/
        Fortunately, that's just a writer's opinion.
        It is cool to see confirmation of how well thought of Coach Wilson is to folks outside of RIT / AHA circles.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Fortunately, that's just a writer's opinion.
          It is cool to see confirmation of how well thought of Coach Wilson is to folks outside of RIT / AHA circles.
          True, but if local sports beat writers have zeroed in on Wilson as an option, you know that he must be on BGSU's radar as well.
          RIT

Comment

True, but if local sports beat writers have zeroed in on Wilson as an option, you know that he must be on BGSU's radar as well.
            The whole story is speculation and is meant to be taken that way. He is couching it all in phrases like, "here’s one man’s look at the top candidates to become the next coach," "I don't know," "should be," "deserves a shot," and "there’s no telling where the school will turn." He's just tossing out some names. One of them very well may be the choice, but like he wrote, "there's no telling."

BGSU alums come up in stories like this when there's an opening, and RIT's two were mentioned in 2010 when Bergeron was hired and before that when Scott Paluch was exited. He should also have mentioned another BGSU alumnus with D-I head coaching experience, George Roll, whose name came up back then, too.

On the topic of speculation ... Watch all the fun that's going on now among Buffalo sports writers about the Sabres opening. One writer "hears" something and next thing you know, there is a flood of stories about the supposed next coach. Maybe it turns out eventually to be correct, but I take it all with a grain of salt. Last year there was similar speculation about Minnesota's opening with several missing Bob Motzko completely.

Side rant: There's such an emphasis in journalism these days on being first instead of right, and on going on speculation instead of confirming sources. One of the Buffalo veteran writers has been taking his colleagues to task on this: the same bunch that spent 8 hours declaring Antonio Brown to be a lock with the Bills on Twitter is now doing the same about the coaching situation with the Sabres. And then complaining when they get called out on it. Tweeting rumors and reporting on other people's tweets is not reporting. It is, as the Buffalo veteran said, "aggregating."

Comment

Abbott Girduckis was not chosen to be part of Toledo's playoff roster and has therefore been released from his contract. He had 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games with the Walleye.

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
                Abbott Girduckis was not chosen to be part of Toledo's playoff roster and has therefore been released from his contract. He had 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games with the Walleye.
                5 points in 7 games and he's out the door? That's an interesting flex by the Walleye.
                RIT

Comment

Well now that the season's over, I can update the final class standings for the 2018-19 Seniors across Atlantic Hockey. RIT finished 53-49-10, good for 6th out of 11 teams, and captured the one playoff championship when they were freshmen.

2018-19 SENIORS:
                  1. Air Force - 62-34-16 - .625 - 2 Playoff Championships, 2 NCAA tournament wins. Made the AHA final weekend 3 times.
                  2. Robert Morris - 56-44-12 - .554 - 1 Regular Season Championship. Made the AHA final weekend 4 times.
                  3. Mercyhurst - 53-43-16 - .545 - 1 Regular Season Championship. Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.
                  4. Canisius - 53-44-15 - .540 - 1 Regular Season Championship. Made the AHA final weekend 2 times.
                  5. Holy Cross - 49-41-22 - .536 - No postseason success.
                  6. RIT - 53-49-10 - .518 - 1 Playoff Championship. Made the AHA final weekend 2 times
                  7. Army - 43-44-25 - .496 - Made the AHA final weekend 2 times.
                  8. Bentley - 43-48-21- .478 - No postseason success.
                  9. AIC - 42-55-15 - .442 - 1 Regular Season Championship, 1 Playoff Championship, 1 NCAA Tournament win. Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.
                  10. Sacred Heart - 43-56-13 - .442 - No postseason success
                  11. Niagara - 29-68-15 - .326 - Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.

Now to where next year's senior class sits going into next year (RIT has some work to do)
                  1. Air Force - 46-27-11 - .613 - 2 Playoff Championships, 2 NCAA Tournament wins. Made the AHA final weekend 2 times.
                  2. Canisius - 43-31-10 - .571 - 1 Regular Season Championship. Made the AHA final weekend 2 times.
                  3. Mercyhurst - 38-34-12 - .524 - 1 Regular Season Championship. Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.
                  4. Army - 35-33-16 - .512 - Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.
                  5. AIC - 36-36-12 - .500 - 1 Regular Season Championship, 1 Playoff Championship, 1 NCAA Tournament win. Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.
                  6. Robert Morris - 38-38-8 - .500 - Made the AHA final weekend 3 times.
                  7. RIT - 39-40-5 - .494 - Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.
                  8. Holy Cross - 33-34-17 - .494 - No Playoff Success
                  9. Bentley - 34-35-15 - .494 - No Playoff Success
                  10. Sacred Heart - 33-41-10 - .452 - No Playoff Success
                  11. Niagara - 24-50-10 - .345 - Made the AHA final weekend 1 time.

The good news is a top 4 type finish next year in the conference would likely propel the 2019-20 senior class to the top half of the league standings for the first time since the 2012-13 senior class. The bad news is the 2018-19 senior classes' .518 winning percentage was tied for the worst class winning percentage in RIT's D-1 history (tied with the 2016-17 senior class), and the 2019-20 class will likely have to finish at least 5 games over .500 in conference next year to avoid setting a new low in terms of winning percentage at the end of next season. I believe they are the first class in RIT's history to go below .500 cumulatively in conference play over their first 3 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    I think he's overestimating the allure of coaching one's own alma mater. For some coaches, sure, it's a goal, but it doesn't seem like there are all that many doing it.

Of course, BG lost their coach for exactly that reason, so maybe it's on their minds.

Powers &8^]
                    I'm not sure about that, ask Eric Lang at AIC about the allure and he might surprise you.

I think this really comes down to if Wayne Wilson is really interested or not and honestly I don't know. All the conversations with him over the year I only recall one conversation about the head coaching job at his alma mater around when Buddy Powers was leaving in 2002. Wayne just smiled when someone suggested he could be consider. I do recall Wayne speaking fondly of Bowling Green and their arena the last time RIT played at the AHL arena there. He expressed that he'd rather play the game on campus. If Wayne was going to do it I think this would be the time, his kids I believe are all grown so family-wise it could be a great time for him to move and take the position if he wants to do it. And given his age he probably could finish up where he started his College Hockey Career. Lets not forget that Bergeron really have left that program in excellent shape.

But again with as open and honest as Wayne has always been this has been a topic he's always said little about and I think that goes to his true professional nature. He'll never talk much about RIT leaving the AHA as long as they are a member and I doubt he'd ever talk much about leaving RIT even if he is seriously considering it. I do hope he feel good to know that he has some options. With all he has accomplished he deserves it!
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 04-10-2019, 07:38 AM.
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                      I think this really comes down to if Wayne Wilson is really interested or not
                      Remember we still have no evidence that BGSU is interested either.
                      Just because we and that writer think it would be a good idea, doesn't mean BGSU agrees.
                      They may already have a replacement settled, but just not signed yet, for all we know.
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                        The bad news is the 2018-19 senior classes' .518 winning percentage was tied for the worst class winning percentage in RIT's D-1 history (tied with the 2016-17 senior class), and the 2019-20 class will likely have to finish at least 5 games over .500 in conference next year to avoid setting a new low in terms of winning percentage at the end of next season. I believe they are the first class in RIT's history to go below .500 cumulatively in conference play over their first 3 seasons.
                        The good news about that is that one of the two worst classes RIT has had finished no lower than 6th in the regular season.

Comment

The good news about that is that one of the two worst classes RIT has had finished no lower than 6th in the regular season.
                          Arguable I thought this year's Senior class was the best that RIT had in the D-I era. I think if Liam had gone 4 years and average what he did his first two years there would not be an argument...
                          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule
                          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                            Arguable I thought this year's Senior class was the best that RIT had in the D-I era. I think if Liam had gone 4 years and average what he did his first two years there would not be an argument...
                            The best?

You have got to be kidding me. At some point, results have to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                              The best?

You have got to be kidding me. At some point, results have to matter.
                              Standings and statistics don't matter anymore...it's all about feeling, man.

Kerins played 3 years at RIT and had 44 points in 93 games (not great!) and finished a career -22. But surely if he had returned, he would have propelled this class to greatness!..............................
                              Last edited by RIT Winters; 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM.
                              RIT

Comment

Remember we still have no evidence that BGSU is interested either.
                                Just because we and that writer think it would be a good idea, doesn't mean BGSU agrees.
                                They may already have a replacement settled, but just not signed yet, for all we know.
                                I think to keep continuity with the program, recruiting, etc., it would be to the benefit of BGSU to act with expedience. Whether it’s Wayne or someone else I don’t think we will be waiting long. But then again I have no clue on how these things work. If I had to venture a guess I’d say before the end of May. Anybody else have thoughts about the hiring process and timeline?
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X