Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

There’s only three teams out there. The next two closest teams are near Phoenix and Omaha.

Pretty much everything there is a flight, especially since odds are good that only DU would be there anyway.

That said: both Denver and Colorado Springs have better attendance numbers than any of the Ohio or Indiana locations, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      There’s only three teams out there. The next two closest teams are near Phoenix and Omaha.

Pretty much everything there is a flight, especially since odds are good that only DU would be there anyway.

That said: both Denver and Colorado Springs have better attendance numbers than any of the Ohio or Indiana locations, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      What's wrong with a Phoenix region??
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Phoenix would be expensive to try entice other team fans to travel. Flights. Could assign a conference a regional but that has its own issues as well.
        Former record holder for the most Hairy Buffaloes consumed in 1 hour.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPoland View Post
          Phoenix would be expensive to try entice other team fans to travel. Flights. Could assign a conference a regional but that has its own issues as well.
          Besides, in the desert, you can't remember your name...

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

That can easily be explained with: Where would you rather go for vacation? Denver, Columbus, or Indianapolis? I don't think that's a remotely close vote.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              That’s more or less how it works out east. There’s generally five sites that see regionals on a somewhat regular basis, with a few other locations here and there.

That said, there isn’t really a good solution for the difference in density (for lack of a better term) of teams out here.
              The eastern pair of regionals is mostly* 4 sites now, alternating Manchester/Providence and Worcester/Bridgeport pairs. Albany got thrown back in for 2016 (after being a rotation mainstay from 2003 when the 16-team field began and 2010) and it was awful. No one was there in 2016, and that place holds 14,000 for hockey. It was a sad, empty cavern. I believe the only other eastern site they've tried was Rochester, which hosted exactly once. The other four seem to generally work out decently enough - it'd be nice if the crowds were a little bigger but they're always decent.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPoland View Post
                A flight is a flight is a flight. So if you're going to host in Colorado, Phoenix is effectively the same.

The proposal of semi-permanent rotating sites has been floated a number of times on here and offline. It makes sense honestly. Thus it will never happen. Also, a city would have to make some money on this for any city to even entertain being a permanent host. It makes a hell of a lot of sense to Bridgeport, Providence, Manchester, and Worcester for them to keep hosting because of the school density.

If you want to do that out west, you would need it to be in Minnesota or Michigan to have that kind of density. I'm not sure you could convince the Target Center or Xcel to be a permanent host unless the NCAA gives up a lot of bid requirements, which frankly are absurd. If I were a city I wouldn't even answer the phone call from the NCAA until they drop these requirements. The NCAA thinks this is an event like the Final Four. Each regional is an event that features less than 10% of the teams, from a niche sport with a tiny following, and the teams that participate are usually from a fairly long distance away. Why should any city want a piece of that turd unless it's going to make them cash?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I’m guessing Target Center has no interest in hosting. The arena does make ice for Disney on Ice, which was recently at the arena, but they’ll make more money hosting other events.

Comment

Target Center hosted the 2014-2017 NCHC tournament.
                    Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      That can easily be explained with: Where would you rather go for vacation? Denver, Columbus, or Indianapolis? I don't think that's a remotely close vote.
                      But it’s a little tough to plan your vacation with only 4 days advance.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        But it’s a little tough to plan your vacation with only 4 days advance.
                        That just makes my point even stronger. Where are you more apt to go on short notice?

Driving distance would be ideal, but you just don’t have that west of Pennsylvania outside of Michigan and Minnesota. And hell, Michigan is hard to include because it’s a shorter drive from Minnesota than it is from the UP if you’re going to Detroit or Grand Rapids. So you really only have lower half of Michigan to include in that count.
                        Code:

Comment

Trust me, if target could host they would. But i digress. It takes enthusiasm from the fan base and thats not easy. It beats a regional in a place that doesnt make sense bjout we will see.
                          Former record holder for the most Hairy Buffaloes consumed in 1 hour.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            That just makes my point even stronger. Where are you more apt to go on short notice?

Driving distance would be ideal, but you just don’t have that west of Pennsylvania outside of Michigan and Minnesota. And hell, Michigan is hard to include because it’s a shorter drive from Minnesota than it is from the UP if you’re going to Detroit or Grand Rapids. So you really only have lower half of Michigan to include in that count.
                            Add in that teams from Michigan seem to dislike even MAKING the tournament, and that takes them out of the running....

r

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Marquette to Detroit 6 hr 45 min
                              Minneapolis to Detroit 9 hr 45 min
                              Marquette to Minneapolis 6 hr 30 min
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I dunno. We can get to Houghton faster than our friends from down in the lower half.

Regardless, I suppose neither is driving to Detroit.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X