Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Why thank you Mr.PGB, I feel humbled by the compliment.
    Perhaps for those who want that old time hockey feel we could host at the Fairground Coliseum as long as those attending don't mind feeling that they're in a Slapshot sequel?
    Only if the players are allowed to fight in the tunnel.

Comment

Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Actual averages for regional attendance since we went to 16 teams for the 2003 tourney:

City Games Avg. Attendance
      Albany, NY 15 4613
      Allentown, PA 3 6702
      Amherst, MA 3 3562
      Ann Arbor, MI 3 6792
      Bridgeport, CT 15 6623
      Cincinnati, OH 9 4837
      Colorado Springs, CO 6 5881
      Denver, CO 3 11183
      Fargo, ND 6 5265
      Fort Wayne, IN 3 3823
      Grand Forks, ND 3 11266
      Grand Rapids, MI 15 4404
      Green Bay, WI 9 5161
      Madison, WI 3 9917
      Manchester, NH 21 7360
      Minneapolis, MN 9 8764
      Providence, RI 12 6425
      Rochester, NY 3 3765
      Sioux Falls, SD 3 8000
      South Bend, IN 3 3982
      st. Louis, MO 3 5024
      St. Paul, MN 12 7625
      Toledo, OH 3 2812
      Worcester, MA 27 7090
      Grand Total 192 6330
      Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-26-2019, 10:00 PM.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

I think ultimately travel is the only major factor for these things.

Having SCSU in St Paul doesn’t make or break numbers, but having the Gophers there sure does. See also: Wisconsin in Green Bay, Michigan in Grand Rapids, etc.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

https://twitter.com/exileondaytonst/...203857920?s=21

The last true home rink host was Notre Dame in 2015, and Minnesota in 2009 before that. (A few visits to St Paul and Providence are pretty close to home for some, but are technically neutral ice by the most boring of definitions)

See a trend on that front?

Not saying “higher seed hosts” is the answer (it isn’t), but letting Wisconsin or NoDak or DU/CC host in their own rinks would help with attendance.

… if they make the tourney…

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
            ...Perhaps for those who want that old time hockey feel we could host at the Fairground Coliseum as long as those attending don't mind feeling that they're in a Slapshot sequel?
            Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
            Only if the players are allowed to fight in the tunnel.
            Probably not the right optics for the NCAA.

I've actually thought about the Coliseum. Ironically it's about the right the size. But even if the powers-that-be were initially deked by the newfangled name -- The Ohio Expo Center -- the inspection just wouldn't go well.

Do they even make ice in that facility these days? Ever? It's been years since I've been to the building for anything other than the State Fair. Granted, it still puts on a good horse show.

Comment

Pulling out the CCHA Cities from your list:
              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Actual averages for regional attendance since we went to 16 teams for the 2003 tourney:

City Games Avg. Attendance
              Ann Arbor, MI 3 6792
              Cincinnati, OH 9 4837
              Fort Wayne, IN 3 3823
              Grand Rapids, MI 15 4404
              South Bend, IN 3 3982
              st. Louis, MO 3 5024
              Toledo, OH 3 2812
              Grand Total ... ....
              With the probable exception of Ann Arbor, all of these numbers seem too high for in-house attendance. (Sometimes referred to as the Drop Count) But unless we can equip WeAreNDHockey with a time travel machine, we aren't going to get a trustworthy account of the number of butts in the seats.

Let's assume, though, that the above numbers have a rational relationship to money in the till, subject only to minor padding. In that case, they do help explain why the current system has endured, rather than imploding on itself.

I think ultimately travel is the only major factor for these things...
              Can't agree with the word "only." But certainly it's the major factor. Travel is manageable for the NE & E; a huge problem for the MW; a major issue for the W -- even with the "Dakota Exception."

https://twitter.com/exileondaytonst/...203857920?s=21

The last true home rink host was Notre Dame in 2015, and Minnesota in 2009 before that. (A few visits to St Paul and Providence are pretty close to home for some, but are technically neutral ice by the most boring of definitions)

See a trend on that front?

Not saying “higher seed hosts” is the answer (it isn’t), but letting Wisconsin or NoDak or DU/CC host in their own rinks would help with attendance.

… if they make the tourney…
              Except that this solution recreates the original problem. The primary motivation for the current system is the desire to prevent unearned home ice advantage. Should the Badgers ever parlay home ice into an upset victory in the regionals, Kohl Center would join Yost and Mariucci on the vilified list. UND & DU might get off a little easier since they're not part of the evil B1G, but there would still be lots of protest.

If we're really stuck with neutral ice uber alles, then we should just do it & stop with the hypocritical exceptions. If so, the regionals will stay off my travel list permanently, but I'll continue to watch on TV. Many others would do the same.

Who knows. Maybe in 30 years time College Hockey will grow enough for neutral site regionals to do well in the MW & W. Just in time for the 100th Anniversary of the NCAA tournament. Realistically, that wouldn't do me any good. But it is a nice thought.

Comment

I hate to admit it but Ohio State for hockey just doesn't have enough of a dedicated fan base who travel well to away games. And if some of our more diehard fans are blue collar workers the time and money may not always be available to do so.
                It could have been different if years ago the Athletic Department had done what they could and should have done to develop the program into it's full potential but that's only now happening so it will be a slow growth for our fans to be seen in real numbers at regionals.

Comment

One of the problems the Regionals face, in any format, is that a good percentage of their target market has just spent money on the conference tournaments. Only a certain percentage can afford both their conference tourneys, then make a last minute trip to regionals, especially if a flight is involved. And of those that can, they’re more likely to wait and see if their team makes the Frozen Four.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Also: we’re just so spread out over here.

The schools presently making up the WCHA, NCHC, and B1G average 9 teams in the field in any given year, so we definitely “deserve” two regionals in our footprint.

But we also have very few combinations of schools that are even within a two hour drive of each other, much less do we have a lot of locations where numerous schools can easily get to. Easterners might complain about driving to Manchester or Worcester, but it’s a hell of a lot easier than schlepping from Minnesota to Michigan.

Comment

Easterners might complain about driving to Manchester or Worcester, but it’s a hell of a lot easier than schlepping from Minnesota to Michigan.
                      Well, not me anyway. I LOVE the fact that I can get to (I don't even know what the latest count it) any Regional location in the last ten years in five hours or less. And usually it's one hour or less.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        ...I LOVE the fact that I can get to (I don't even know what the latest count it) any Regional location in the last ten years in five hours or less. And usually it's one hour or less.
                        Taking this thought one step further, anyone in the Boston area can actually commute to and from Providence as many times as they like, all for the cost of a $10 weekend pass on the MBTA Commuter Rail. And to make it even easier for NU students and anyone else living close by, the Providence-Stoughton line stops at Ruggles Station, on the edge of the NU campus. No need for hotel rooms.

On the other end, the Providence train station is within walking distance of The Dunk. Such a deal!!
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

As of right now, planning on going to Manchester Friday and Providence Saturday. These regional weekends are turning into my "big" weekends out these days. That's the boring life I live! Refreshing to leave a toddler behind for a few hours

There's no question that hockey fans in the Boston/Providence/Hartford area have it best when it comes to these regionals. Of the recent sites (Bridgeport, Providence, Worcester, Manchester) Bridgeport is the only one I haven't been to and even that is only 2 hours and 15 minutes from me. Will probably make that drive at some point. I am in the minority in that I will go to these when my team isn't in it. Wish more people would, really is a great take.

I'm curious what you midwesterners think would be good "west" and "midwest" sites. I know they obviously have to bid but taking that out of it, what would be good for you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I'm curious what you midwesterners think would be good "west" and "midwest" sites. I know they obviously have to bid but taking that out of it, what would be good for you guys?
                            Good question. Tough one because, as EODS notes, almost no Western schools are that close to each other. Kato's 2 closest opponents are both over an hour away, and in different conferences. The upside to that is that we're used to driving more than 90 minutes to see a game.

I really liked Sioux Falls last year. A number of schools are at least as close as NoDak, and could host there. Other possibilities:
                            Des Moines - Wells Fargo is home to an AHL team
                            Quad Cities - Hosted an ECHL team until this year. Hotels, amenities perhaps not as good as other sites.
                            Rockford, IL - Has the IceHogs. Rockford isn't my favorite town in the world, but it's no worse than Toledo or Worcester.
                            Green Bay - Home of the USHL's Gamblers. I know it's been tried before. Would really need Wisco or a UP team for attendance
                            Rosemont - Home of the Chicago Wolves, and very accessible with its proximity to O'Hare.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Taking this thought one step further, anyone in the Boston area can actually commute to and from Providence as many times as they like, all for the cost of a $10 weekend pass on the MBTA Commuter Rail. And to make it even easier for NU students and anyone else living close by, the Providence-Stoughton line stops at Ruggles Station, on the edge of the NU campus. No need for hotel rooms.

On the other end, the Providence train station is within walking distance of The Dunk. Such a deal!!
                              That is, of course, until there is a four overtime game...

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                Good question. Tough one because, as EODS notes, almost no Western schools are that close to each other. Kato's 2 closest opponents are both over an hour away, and in different conferences. The upside to that is that we're used to driving more than 90 minutes to see a game.

I really liked Sioux Falls last year. A number of schools are at least as close as NoDak, and could host there. Other possibilities:
                                Des Moines - Wells Fargo is home to an AHL team
                                Quad Cities - Hosted an ECHL team until this year. Hotels, amenities perhaps not as good as other sites.
                                Rockford, IL - Has the IceHogs. Rockford isn't my favorite town in the world, but it's no worse than Toledo or Worcester.
                                Green Bay - Home of the USHL's Gamblers. I know it's been tried before. Would really need Wisco or a UP team for attendance
                                Rosemont - Home of the Chicago Wolves, and very accessible with its proximity to O'Hare.
                                AND the Rockford Peaches of the AAGPBL (made famous by the movie "A League of Their Own")
                                Last edited by chickod; 03-27-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X