Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

I mean, c'mon. Congratulations MSU Mankato! As a reward for a great season, one of the best in program history, you get to travel to Rhode Island to play in Providence. Who do you get to play? That's right: Providence! It's alright, though, because the HEA champion doesn't have to travel far--after all, there are three regionals within a five-hour drive of Boston.

Ok, being a bit more serious: Simply hosting the 8 games at the home rink of the top 8 seeds would require the same amount of travel. It would provide much better atmospheres for both home and road teams, and sell more tickets. It would reward smaller schools that make the top 8. It would just be plain better.

This argument has a long history on this board. You can find the threads if you're so inclined. In short: The hockey competition committee, in its management of the NCAA tournament regionals, actively harms the sport.
    Jesus Saves

Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

No.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Last I saw on this, coaches want the regional sites. They don't want on campus. Not sure if that matters since the NCAA is probably doing whatever will make the most money. They have to have number crunchers who say four sparsely attended regionals with overpriced tickets is still the way to go? Or maybe the NCAA is simply listening to the coaches. Gotta be some connected people on here who know where things stand.

Comment

Jeff Jackson sounds like he'd prefer the games to be on campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2XFdn9N2i0&t=657

Comment

That's interesting. Was just reading a quote from Nate Leaman on CHN article about "if we want to keep these regional sites" we need attendance (ready for the Providence complaints). Especially interesting from Jackson considering Notre Dame would be playing on the road if it were on campus sites. The TV coverage would also be a lot different if there were now 8 sites instead of 4.

Comment

MN got screwed. Wait, wrong thread.

Don't like the sites? Get your city/school to bid on it. Period.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

What about the college hockey video game?

Comment

If you go to 8 sites, then you have to expand to 3 weekends.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  If you go to 8 sites, then you have to expand to 3 weekends.
                  Thursday / Sunday

Fly on Friday, walk through Saturday.
                  QED
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                    ...The hockey competition committee, in its management of the NCAA tournament regionals, actively harms the sport...
                    Selecting sites and setting up brackets may be an imperfect science. But this statement is just absurd, IMO.

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    ...Don't like the sites? Get your city/school to bid on it. Period.
                    This. There are plenty of USHL venues and other medium-size arenas scattered throughout the Midwest. How come none of them seem interested in bidding?

[Irrelevant fantasy world: How about a Las Vegas FF (or even regional)]?
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Selecting sites and setting up brackets may be an imperfect science. But this statement is just absurd, IMO.

This. There are plenty of USHL venues and other medium-size arenas scattered throughout the Midwest. How come none of them seem interested in bidding?

I could definitely see a Vegas or Nashville FF on the horizon, even Seattle. Regionals in those venues would seem unlikely.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

They should just do like football in Europe and crown a champion at the end of the regular season. No tournaments, no playoffs. Congratulations St Cloud. Now we're all spared three weeks of whining.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          They should just do like football in Europe and crown a champion at the end of the regular season. No tournaments, no playoffs. Congratulations St Cloud. Now we're all spared three weeks of whining.
                          no, thanks.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            Arena probably too big for a regional (still laughing about when they had a regional in St. Louis) but I don't think a FF in Vegas is a fantasy. I think that will happen at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              except, those are the national leagues, they still have a tournament among the top teams from each top league. So, congratulations UMass (sorry NU), OSU ( sorry ND), Quinnipiac (sorry Clarkson), AIC, St. Cloud and Minnesota State.

Of course, the big issue would be how you hand out the 16 NCAA spots. The European leagues give so many slots to each league based on past performance in the tournament, but that would cause an uproar. Since we currently have a system in place that more or less works we could just use that. Top 16 qualify, except if a regular season champion is below 16 there is a play-in game or games. This year it would be AIC at Penn State to make the tournament.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                              X