Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LordofBrewtown
    replied
    Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Then you take AHL (Providence, Allentown), ECHL (Manchester) and USHL (Fargo) rinks out of play because of those leagues being in playoffs.
    Good point. Maybe get rid of the gap week by moving the regionals and conference championships back 1 week then. I prefer that to moving the season up - I don't think it would help/it would still be overshadowed by bb if moved up. If regionals were next week, and conf championships this week, I think there's a better chance those conf champ games get televised on the fox regionals and Big Ten networks.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    Re: Annual thread in which the absurdity of the current regional system is discussed

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
    Do we know of anyone bidding for 2020 and 2021? Maine was intending to bid for Portland and I thought I had read that North Dakota was looking at Sioux Falls and Fargo again.
    The NCAA hasn't said anything yet. The 2020 locations should be announced in mid-April. UMaine submitted bids for 2019, 20 and 21. I really hope Maine doesn't get it. There is no way a regional in Portland will make money without Maine or UNH.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Attendance in Providence: 7180
    Attendance in Fargo: 4220 (Friday)
    Attendance in Manchester: 5033 (Friday)
    Attendance in Manchester (Saturday) 5679

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied
    Originally posted by dunbar View Post
    Do we know of anyone bidding for 2020 and 2021? Maine was intending to bid for Portland and I thought I had read that North Dakota was looking at Sioux Falls and Fargo again.
    Brown did NOT bid in 2021 https://twitter.com/markdivver/status/1112051800205639681?s=21

Leave a comment:

• dunbar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Lol I couldn’t keep the threads straight either.
    I meant to post in both

Leave a comment:

• Laker Dude
    replied

Then you take AHL (Providence, Allentown), ECHL (Manchester) and USHL (Fargo) rinks out of play because of those leagues being in playoffs.
    NHL playoffs could have conflicted with Frozen Four this year had Buffalo had a better season.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Lol I couldn’t keep the threads straight either.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Attendance in Providence: 7180
    Attendance in Fargo: 4220 (Friday)
    Attendance in Manchester: 5033 (Friday)

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied
    You would also take most or all of the NHL rinks out of play for the Frozen Four as the Stanley Cup and NBA playoffs would be underway.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
    I'd go the other way. Delay the Frozen 4 for another week, and have the tournament start the week before (the current frozen four weekend). That way bb is done; but, maybe you can build off the momentum of bb, and bracket madness, and really push the fun of a hockey bracket. Also, that would put the hockey conference championships on the same weekend as the bb Final Four; but, with most of bb done, could potentially open up some TV slots/viewership for the hockey conference championships on Friday night (and potentially early Saturday afternoon) - and help start some new viewership momentum there with proper PR.

Leave a comment:

• LordofBrewtown
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think it would be better to get the season complete before the men's bb tourney starts the weekend before selection Sunday. Then they don't get totally overrun by bb. I don't mind hockey in Sept and they don't need to take 3-4 weeks off for the Christmas break.
    I'd go the other way. Delay the Frozen 4 for another week, and have the tournament start the week before (the current frozen four weekend). That way bb is done; but, maybe you can build off the momentum of bb, and bracket madness, and really push the fun of a hockey bracket. Also, that would put the hockey conference championships on the same weekend as the bb Final Four; but, with most of bb done, could potentially open up some TV slots/viewership for the hockey conference championships on Friday night (and potentially early Saturday afternoon) - and help start some new viewership momentum there with proper PR.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think it would be better to get the season complete before the men's bb tourney starts the weekend before selection Sunday. Then they don't get totally overrun by bb. I don't mind hockey in Sept and they don't need to take 3-4 weeks off for the Christmas break.

Format change....the first round is home sites, play best of 3 or a 2 game total goal series like the good old days. The final 8 playdown the following weekend at one site, quarters are Friday, semi's Saturday and final Monday night. You could have the final 8 at the same site every year, like they do for baseball, that makes it really easy for scheduling and planning. And why not have the women's FF at the same site at the same time? They could do semi's Saturday and the final Sunday.

The ice quality was also an issue at the women's ff last weekend. It was especially bad for the MN Cornell game.
    There aren’t many arenas that can accommodate 8 teams at once.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Logistical question from the NCAA standpoint:

- Do they have the same staff working the Frozen Four as they do for the Men's B-ball Finals? With Bouncy ball being their single biggest event, I would have to think that it is "all hands on deck!" for the event. Just thinking of this when considering moving the hockey finals.
    I'm not answering this with any inside knowledge but I would assume very little overlap. A lot of the people who "staff" these events are from host institutions, either the venues, schools or often city/community people who the NCAA has partnered with (and that is said with inside knowledge, at least from the hockey-side). My guess is if you're seeing any of the same people at both events the number is extremely limited and probably for some unique role these types of events need filled.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Logistical question from the NCAA standpoint:

- Do they have the same staff working the Frozen Four as they do for the Men's B-ball Finals? With Bouncy ball being their single biggest event, I would have to think that it is "all hands on deck!" for the event. Just thinking of this when considering moving the hockey finals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X