Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• msubinner
    replied
    Honestly I really think we finally got lucky. Years past the tying goal goes wide or the red blows the whistle in OT since he couldnt see the puck. 3 years ago we had duluth in OT and the shot going into the net hit our player who was in the net. Hit him in the butt if I remember. We just finally got the puck to bounce our way

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied
    OK, let's discuss the elephant in the room - What was different about this year's NCAA tournament versus the last few?
    Our team is better? Possible, but in my opinion, this team isn't better than 2015, 2018, or 2019.
    Better puck luck? Yes. And this is hard to quantify, but I do think we were owed a couple of breaks, and we got a couple this year.
    Better draw of opponents? Maybe a little bit, since we didn't have to play Providence in Nate Leaman's backyard, but QU was better than 2015 RIT. And the Gophers were a darn good team, not that we had to worry about the second round in previous years.
    One thing I think Coach did differently this year (and I can't quantify this, since college hockey doesn't seem to want to tell anyone TOI numbers) was ride his hot hands, shortening his bench, particularly on the forward side. During the regular season, and during the NCAA as well in past years, we've been very good on rolling 4 lines, wearing opponents down, and splitting up the minutes pretty well. And obviously, that's been very successful in the regular season. But last weekend, Smith, Furry, Napravnik and Sandelin in particular were on the ice for what seemed like the entire 3rd period and OT against QU. Yesterday's game also saw a lot of those guys, plus a heavy dose of Morton, Borchardt and Jaremko, and some Lutz thrown in, but briefer appearances by the others (Gerads a little more as the game wore on, and we needed stops more than goals). Maybe this is a key in the tournament, when one game means everything, versus the regular season, where you have good reasons for distributing the minutes more evenly.
    Or, again, maybe I'm totally wrong on this, since I don't have any numbers to back it up! Whatever the case, well done boys!

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Congrats Mavericks! Now take down the Hussies!

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied
    Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
    Congrats Mavericks!! Good luck in the Frozen Four!
    And thanks to NMU for giving us the butt-whipping that pushed us to play our game and play to our potential.

Leave a comment:

• MavsFan
    replied
    I'm still stunned.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J Carter
    replied
    Congrats Mankato!!!
    A BSU Beaver fan

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied
    Truly amazing. Pretty much speechless.

Leave a comment:

• Iwearpurple
    replied
    Too bad this covid thing kept fans away. I think we would have have a good contingent in Colorado.

On to the Minnesota Cup or the NSIC Tourney (take your pick) with one outsider invited. Too bad Bemidji didn't make it a foursome.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Switzer
    replied
    Yeah Got to cheer for the Mav's the rest of the way after beating the Evil Gophers.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied
    I'll echo the congratulations...Well Done Mavericks!!!

While I'm contractually obligated to root for St. Cloud and Duluth at the Frozen Four as conference brethren, I definitely won't be upset if you guys manage to win it all in Pittsburgh.

Enjoy this moment, and good luck the rest of the way.

Leave a comment:

• SCSU BlackandRed
    replied
    Well, super happy now. But over at this point (I hope). Holy war at my house in a couple of weeks

Leave a comment:

• NMUFAN
    replied
    Congrats Mavericks!! Good luck in the Frozen Four!

Leave a comment:

• Double Major
    replied
    Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
    Congrats on the win. Heck of a comeback.

Might as well go to the Frozen Four while you are at it.

Beat the Gophers!
    Well there will certainly be two Minnesota teams in Pittsburgh. Hoping the Mavs are one of them. Would be nice if St. Cloud would join the party, too.

Leave a comment:

• SCSU BlackandRed
    replied
    Congrats on the win. Heck of a comeback.

Might as well go to the Frozen Four while you are at it.

Beat the Gophers!

Leave a comment:

• Double Major
    replied
    Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Just finished watching the UND UMD ultra-marathon. I've still got a stress headache from the Mavs game. Now that the "one and done" monkey is off their backs, let's take the Gophers out. Big day for the Sandelin family, huh?
    Indeed. The Sandelins should be the happiest people in college hockey today. I watched the first OT of UMD/UND and went to bed. Glad I did. Those guys must have been exhausted after that. They'll need to two weeks just to rest up.

Mavs gotta play strong today against the Minnesota. We ain't afraid of no Goofs!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X