No announcement yet.

MSU Mavericks 2020-21 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Got to cheer for the Mav's the rest of the way after beating the Evil Gophers.
    UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Too bad this covid thing kept fans away. I think we would have have a good contingent in Colorado.

On to the Minnesota Cup or the NSIC Tourney (take your pick) with one outsider invited. Too bad Bemidji didn't make it a foursome.

Comment

Truly amazing. Pretty much speechless.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Congrats Mankato!!!
          A BSU Beaver fan

Comment

I'm still stunned.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
              Congrats Mavericks!! Good luck in the Frozen Four!
              And thanks to NMU for giving us the butt-whipping that pushed us to play our game and play to our potential.

Comment

Congrats Mavericks! Now take down the Hussies!
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

OK, let's discuss the elephant in the room - What was different about this year's NCAA tournament versus the last few?
                  Our team is better? Possible, but in my opinion, this team isn't better than 2015, 2018, or 2019.
                  Better puck luck? Yes. And this is hard to quantify, but I do think we were owed a couple of breaks, and we got a couple this year.
                  Better draw of opponents? Maybe a little bit, since we didn't have to play Providence in Nate Leaman's backyard, but QU was better than 2015 RIT. And the Gophers were a darn good team, not that we had to worry about the second round in previous years.
                  One thing I think Coach did differently this year (and I can't quantify this, since college hockey doesn't seem to want to tell anyone TOI numbers) was ride his hot hands, shortening his bench, particularly on the forward side. During the regular season, and during the NCAA as well in past years, we've been very good on rolling 4 lines, wearing opponents down, and splitting up the minutes pretty well. And obviously, that's been very successful in the regular season. But last weekend, Smith, Furry, Napravnik and Sandelin in particular were on the ice for what seemed like the entire 3rd period and OT against QU. Yesterday's game also saw a lot of those guys, plus a heavy dose of Morton, Borchardt and Jaremko, and some Lutz thrown in, but briefer appearances by the others (Gerads a little more as the game wore on, and we needed stops more than goals). Maybe this is a key in the tournament, when one game means everything, versus the regular season, where you have good reasons for distributing the minutes more evenly.
                  Or, again, maybe I'm totally wrong on this, since I don't have any numbers to back it up! Whatever the case, well done boys!

Comment

Honestly I really think we finally got lucky. Years past the tying goal goes wide or the red blows the whistle in OT since he couldnt see the puck. 3 years ago we had duluth in OT and the shot going into the net hit our player who was in the net. Hit him in the butt if I remember. We just finally got the puck to bounce our way

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      OK, let's discuss the elephant in the room - What was different about this year's NCAA tournament versus the last few?
                      Our team is better? Possible, but in my opinion, this team isn't better than 2015, 2018, or 2019.
                      Better puck luck? Yes. And this is hard to quantify, but I do think we were owed a couple of breaks, and we got a couple this year.
                      Better draw of opponents? Maybe a little bit, since we didn't have to play Providence in Nate Leaman's backyard, but QU was better than 2015 RIT. And the Gophers were a darn good team, not that we had to worry about the second round in previous years.
                      One thing I think Coach did differently this year (and I can't quantify this, since college hockey doesn't seem to want to tell anyone TOI numbers) was ride his hot hands, shortening his bench, particularly on the forward side. During the regular season, and during the NCAA as well in past years, we've been very good on rolling 4 lines, wearing opponents down, and splitting up the minutes pretty well. And obviously, that's been very successful in the regular season. But last weekend, Smith, Furry, Napravnik and Sandelin in particular were on the ice for what seemed like the entire 3rd period and OT against QU. Yesterday's game also saw a lot of those guys, plus a heavy dose of Morton, Borchardt and Jaremko, and some Lutz thrown in, but briefer appearances by the others (Gerads a little more as the game wore on, and we needed stops more than goals). Maybe this is a key in the tournament, when one game means everything, versus the regular season, where you have good reasons for distributing the minutes more evenly.
                      Or, again, maybe I'm totally wrong on this, since I don't have any numbers to back it up! Whatever the case, well done boys!
                      To me, a lot of your points are valid, but it’s not something to overthink — the Mavs played really good puck possession hockey for the majority of the last 40 minutes of that game. Dryden made a massive save to keep things in check, and the guys stayed the course, kept battling, and finished the job.

Mike is fantastic at in game adjustments, clearly evident after the first intermission. I think he rode some of those lines based on the matchups QU was giving them, and Mike(and staff) took advantage by exploiting the ones it liked.

You could argue 2015 was a game the Mavs largely controlled and caught a tough break/call with the whole Palmquist deal.

UMD did to the Mavs exactly what the Mavs did to QU. That’s a championship type effort/mentality to stick to the plan and stay the course even when the success they’re having is not reflected on the scoreboard.

Off to Pittsburgh!

AF 99

Comment

For those who will be in Pittsburgh, The Souper Bowl is the Maverick bar and will be hosting pregame festivities.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          For those who will be in Pittsburgh, The Souper Bowl is the Maverick bar and will be hosting pregame festivities.
                          Enjoy! Make some noise!

Comment

Lets go mavs!!!!
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

I'll be there.

Comment

Great day in Pittsburgh today. Beautiful weather, and quite a few Mav fans already here!

I know the 50 person private charter leaves early tomorrow morning, should be a fantastic day!

go Mavs!!!
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X