• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScoobyFanClub
    replied
    Re: 2019 USCHO Pairwise Predictor

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
    "Starting in the 2011-12 season, the common opponent calculation compares the sum of the winning percentages against each opponent"...per this, CHN isn't calculating COp correctly, but you're correct. USCHO's table HERE shows the correct data. CHN has SCSU's COp w/ NE as .500 to .333.

r
    Summing the COP percentages ... and averaging the COP percentages ... give you the exact same thing. It doesn't matter either way. So CHN is not wrong, per se, and neither is USCHO. ... Since everyone is coming up with the same results in the Pairwise, it's doubtful anyone has it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• cetihcra
    replied

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    If it was working correctly, please explain how there is any situation wherein NU should win the common opponents comparison over SCSU, which they clearly do in the screenshot he provided. Their only common opponents are Union (.000 for both teams) and BC (1.000 for SCSU and something between .500 and .750 for NU). If it works right the SCSU number should never be anything but 1.000 and the NU number should never be able to surpass it.
    "Starting in the 2011-12 season, the common opponent calculation compares the sum of the winning percentages against each opponent"...per this, CHN isn't calculating COp correctly, but you're correct. USCHO's table HERE shows the correct data. CHN has SCSU's COp w/ NE as .500 to .333.

r

Leave a comment:

• TheRevengeance
    replied

If it was working correctly, please explain how there is any situation wherein NU should win the common opponents comparison over SCSU, which they clearly do in the screenshot he provided. Their only common opponents are Union (.000 for both teams) and BC (1.000 for SCSU and something between .500 and .750 for NU). If it works right the SCSU number should never be anything but 1.000 and the NU number should never be able to surpass it.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Trefzger
    replied

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
    Yep. They seem to have, without notice or comment, modified it to mirror my results and CHN's. So, you can now use the USCHO predictor to verify the Union scenarios, for example, which you previously couldn't:

http://pwp.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi..._5c92f2e092927
    From what I understand, we changed the Big Ten and WCHA games to home/away instead of neutral in one part of the script on Monday, but a bug down the line in the RPI library (which we've replaced except in this script) caused by an upgrade of PHP and the resulting deprecation of an expression broke that. I don't think we were trying to mirror anyone. You're welcome at any time to reach out to more than one site when you see an issue.

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
    They fixed it after I tweeted at them.

https://twitter.com/TheExiledOne/sta...77199861063681
    Thanks for taking the effort to reach out, but that wasn't the issue. The common opponents was and is calculated correctly. There's a really good explanation of how that works here: https://www.uscho.com/faq/pairwise-r...s-explanation/

Leave a comment:

• The Exiled One
    replied

Yep. They seem to have, without notice or comment, modified it to mirror my results and CHN's. So, you can now use the USCHO predictor to verify the Union scenarios, for example, which you previously couldn't:

They fixed it after I tweeted at them.

https://twitter.com/TheExiledOne/sta...77199861063681

Leave a comment:

• JimDahl
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    I think the USCHO predictor was just reset.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    Get the golf clubs out.
    Their seniors have started to turn pro, so even if somehow the stars align, they will be short.

Leave a comment:

• MagnessMan
    replied

Actually 20 (of the 49,152).
    Get the golf clubs out.

Leave a comment:

• BC/HE
    replied

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    It's not the average of the results but the sum of the winning percentages against each.
    I didn't know quite know how to express that but meant to explain that you separate the records against each opponent and not just combine the total common opponent record. Thanks for clarifying it.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Trefzger
    replied

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    I think that you are looking at the overall Common Opponent record whereas the calculators count the records against each opponent separately and then calculate again. For example 0-2 and 0-1 against an opponent are the same .0000 and 1-0 would be 1.000 while 3-1 would be .7500. Averaging the results brings one to .5000 and the other to .3750 even though total common opponent would be .5000 for each.
    It's not the average of the results but the sum of the winning percentages against each.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

I think the USCHO predictor was just reset.

Leave a comment:

• BC/HE
    replied

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
    I'm not sure the USCHO is even trying to fix their predictor tool, which appears to be miscalculating the common opponents variable.

For the Sum of Win% column, I believe it should read 1.000 for both teams. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think that you are looking at the overall Common Opponent record whereas the calculators count the records against each opponent separately and then calculate again. For example 0-2 and 0-1 against an opponent are the same .0000 and 1-0 would be 1.000 while 3-1 would be .7500. Averaging the results brings one to .5000 and the other to .3750 even though total common opponent would be .5000 for each.

Leave a comment:

• JimDahl
    replied
    Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Season not officially over for Union. CHN found one scenario (actually 4) that gets Union into the tournament. Its unlikely but anything is possible. It doesn't matter what the Atlantic Hockey teams do by the way because if any of the 4 win then Union would still be in.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...0#.XJKb9ChKiUm
    Actually 20 (of the 49,152).

Leave a comment:

• Numbers
    replied

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Season not officially over for Union. CHN found one scenario (actually 4) that gets Union into the tournament. Its unlikely but anything is possible. It doesn't matter what the Atlantic Hockey teams do by the way because if any of the 4 win then Union would still be in.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...0#.XJKb9ChKiUm
    And, amazingly, this outcome depends on CC winning the NCHC conso game. That gets them just barely above Notre Dame in the RPI. And, they come out ahead of Providence because of 2 interesting results:
    1- Notre Dame still wins the compare with Providence
    2- Union wins the compare with St Cloud.

Leave a comment:

• The Exiled One
    replied

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
    Everything else I keep reading from other sources says that St Cloud is the guaranteed top overall seed based on any and all outcomes this weekend. But for some reason the Exiled One can still find a route that shows Mankato passing them. Maybe that "bug" has now been fixed with the home/neutral sites for the Big Ten and WCHA, per Jim Dahl.
    No, the home/neutral debate affects RPI. The bug on the predictor tool is with Common Opponents. It's still broken.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X