Doc Emrick Retires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Emrick Retires.

Leave comments here. The guy was a legend for a reason!. I'm sorry to see him go.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Got his start broadcasting the 2nd period of BGSU hockey games back in the 70's (which is also where he got hic nickname "Doc"). Long career; inducted into something like 7 HOFs. Right up there with Ernie Harwell who is the only other broadcaster that makes me verklempt when I think about "what was." Gonna miss hearing his golden voice.

Comment

He's one of the great ambassadors of our game. I loved listening to him, but good for him to hang'em up. One never knows when the big guy (or gal) wants you.

Next man up.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

No one called the game better than Doc and hockey is the hardest game to call well , speed, shift changes and 30 people to keep track of. Hard to do. Thanks Doc

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
          Got his start broadcasting the 2nd period of BGSU hockey games back in the 70's (which is also where he got hic nickname "Doc"). Long career; inducted into something like 7 HOFs. Right up there with Ernie Harwell who is the only other broadcaster that makes me verklempt when I think about "what was." Gonna miss hearing his golden voice.
          Yes he is/was great! & thanks for the history & background. But was there something specific about the nickname "doc" granted to him or mostly about his analysis of players & game or?

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

Yes he is/was great! & thanks for the history & background. But was there something specific about the nickname "doc" granted to him or mostly about his analysis of players & game or?
            He earned his PhD in communications from Bowling Green State University. Here's a link to his doctoral dissertation. Ernie Harwell was his advisor. https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_f...osition=inline

He was our Master of Ceremonies at the 50th year celebration of the Ice Arena back in 2017. He did color commentary for periods 1 and 3 and was the play-by-play voice for period 2, just like the old days. Here's a link to his two goal calls during his very last college hockey broadcast. https://twitter.com/TeamECH/status/1318285051814170630

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

He earned his PhD in communications from Bowling Green State University. Here's a link to his doctoral dissertation. Ernie Harwell was his advisor. https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_f...osition=inline

He was our Master of Ceremonies at the 50th year celebration of the Ice Arena back in 2017. He did color commentary for periods 1 and 3 and was the play-by-play voice for period 2, just like the old days. Here's a link to his two goal calls during his very last college hockey broadcast. https://twitter.com/TeamECH/status/1318285051814170630
              Thanks! Very cool!

Comment

Emrick used to drive my wife crazy when he was broadcasting Philadelphia Flyers games and would occasionally say something like "and he fidgets the puck along the boards."

To her way of thinking, "fidgeting" was something that would be done by nervous little old ladies. The rough, tough Broad Street Bullies would never stoop to doing anything that could be described as fidgeting.

I never played hockey myself. Perhaps fidgeting is a technique to be used in certain situations and youth hockey coaches routinely teach their players how to fidget. But I can't recall any other announcers using the term, at least not as often as Emrick did.

I'm sure there are plenty of ex-hockey players on this website. Could someone please explain to me if fidgeting is a common hockey technique and, if so, exactly what is a player doing when he fidgets the puck?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                  Emrick used to drive my wife crazy when he was broadcasting Philadelphia Flyers games and would occasionally say something like "and he fidgets the puck along the boards."

To her way of thinking, "fidgeting" was something that would be done by nervous little old ladies. The rough, tough Broad Street Bullies would never stoop to doing anything that could be described as fidgeting.

I never played hockey myself. Perhaps fidgeting is a technique to be used in certain situations and youth hockey coaches routinely teach their players how to fidget. But I can't recall any other announcers using the term, at least not as often as Emrick did.

I'm sure there are plenty of ex-hockey players on this website. Could someone please explain to me if fidgeting is a common hockey technique and, if so, exactly what is a player doing when he fidgets the puck?
                  Just one of the many nuances of Doc. He uses as many different verbs and adjectives as he can to describe the game. When you listen to an announcer repeat the same phrases over and over, it gets boring. Doc mixes it up to keep interest.

Comment

I wonder if he will do the Minnesota State High School hockey tourney games like other national hockey announcing greats have done in the past?
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                    X