RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime: In Memory of Turk181

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

My view would be this is on SAJ, not Dave S and staff, and her inability to provide guidance to all athletes over the past year. Spring season again cancelled, campus shut down/quarantine this week on a .3% positive rate, no athletic facilities opened all year etc. The list goes on and on. As an athlete at RPI right now, especially men’s hockey, not much reason to believe there will be a season next year. Players are not going to risk waiting too long to find out. SAJs track record clear and precise........she makes her own rules with zero regard for her athletic staff or student athletes.
    I think if that’s the case, if there’s no season next year either, not only will all the players and coaches leave, it would finally be the last straw for people. Alumni would stop giving, and you’d stop attracting the borderline students. And yes, I was a borderline student. The dominoes would start to fall. I don’t want to de-value my degree, although like a car, the value does depreciate. I would think that something like this would force the board of trustees to react. RPI hockey doesnt just bring notoriety to the school, but to the greater Capital Region.

Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• The blows just keep coming....
      Let's be clear though that next season is not in jeopardy. We're on track to achieve herd immunity through vaccinations by the end of May right now. Tough to get excited for the season now though because it's tough to see us staying competitive with all these departures.

Comment

• Today is 5 March 2021. There are 211 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My view would be this is on SAJ, not Dave S and staff, and her inability to provide guidance to all athletes over the past year. Spring season again cancelled, campus shut down/quarantine this week on a .3% positive rate, no athletic facilities opened all year etc. The list goes on and on. As an athlete at RPI right now, especially men’s hockey, not much reason to believe there will be a season next year. Players are not going to risk waiting too long to find out. SAJs track record clear and precise........she makes her own rules with zero regard for her athletic staff or student athletes.
          This entire scenario makes me happy I got my degree here almost 55 years ago and long before the SAJ regime. Jen and I ceased being donors quite some time ago. If you want to find a reason to lock down and quarantine you can use whatever statistics you can find (or even make up). I had posted quite some time ago that I was not even sure we would see hockey return to RPI for next season. I guess now I may not have to check back on this thread so often. Power corrupts and absolute power ..........
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by VGK View Post
            Yes, we're well aware we may never see a penny refunded back to us. Such is life. But that doesn't mean we're not gonna try! Her meeting with her dean was yesterday (Wed), and she was told the filing of her paperwork will be delayed two weeks because of the shutdown. That starts today, Thursday. Makes sense? But her teammate that had her meeting on Tue got her paperwork filed. Again, makes sense? I guess the admin office isn't working during these two weeks, and took an extra day?

Thank you for the wise words! We've been repeating that far too often this past year... It will be well worth the education in the long run. RPI looks amazing on a resume. Bonus? She gets another year eligibility (I'm pretty sure about that?), so masters degree. The girl has goals - a lake house and a jeep. She's keeping up her studies, loves math and physics, and is keeping her eye on the prize. It's just gonna be a big, unneccesary struggle in the beginning apparently.

Sorry to talk about my girl in the mens team topic, but there's not much else to talk about here...
            I too am a parent of an RPI female athlete (Diving team) who graduated with an undergraduate degree in Physics. She stayed at RPI for her masters which they were happy to pay for with a decent living stipend.
            It helps to be a female in the STEM programs. Don't worry about the scholarships after graduation, RPI will take care of that.
            I understand all the animosity towards SAJ, but my experience with two RPI alum is nothing less that spectacular.
            Now lets get the hockey teams back on the ice.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

• Babichuk would be another big loss. I don't think that we have another defenseman with a similar talent set.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Babichuk would be another big loss. I don't think that we have another defenseman with a similar talent set.
                Agreed. Skilled dman with very good offensive upside.

Is this the start of an ugly trend??? Going to be interesting over next 7-10 days to see if anyone else enters portal.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                  The blows just keep coming....
                  Let's be clear though that next season is not in jeopardy. We're on track to achieve herd immunity through vaccinations by the end of May right now. Tough to get excited for the season now though because it's tough to see us staying competitive with all these departures.
                  Based upon RPI's/SAJ approach to the pandemic, I have very little confidence in anything right now. The rest of the local area, region, nation has hockey being played/practiced etc.........cob webs collecting at RPI facilities. The hockey sophs haven't been on campus since last March, and the entire team (I think) elected to stay home this semester. To me, that is a not a good sign that these athletes have any confidence in what may happen. To rely on what the rest of the world is doing in regards to getting back to a normal life, SAJ has shown she will do what she wishes. Until there is a statement from school/administration that athletics will return in Fall/Winter, I won't hold my breath. And apparently neither are some of the players. They have had enough of the run around.

Hearing of another "key" returning player entering portal as well.........

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post

If true, the timing of this is curious. The season is winding down and there’s no playing time to be had now. I don’t think this one can be blamed on the cancellation of the season.
                    This decision obviously isn't about playing college hockey this spring. I'd recommend going back and reading Billy Jerry's letter he wrote earlier in the winter. Athletes have been cut out of all decision making and ability to even work out. Any hockey player who has any aspirations of progressing in their career beyond college isn't going to sit still waiting for SAJ's next decree. It reflects the damage done by SAJ.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

“RPI defenseman Cory Babichuk has entered the NCAA transfer portal, per a source. Babichuk was slated to be a sophomore this season at RPI before the school canceled its 2020-21 season.” - via College Hockey Insider

And the second round of transfer portal entries begins........
                      I called it when he left..... another blow for RPI hockey.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Based upon RPI's/SAJ approach to the pandemic, I have very little confidence in anything right now. The rest of the local area, region, nation has hockey being played/practiced etc.........cob webs collecting at RPI facilities. The hockey sophs haven't been on campus since last March, and the entire team (I think) elected to stay home this semester. To me, that is a not a good sign that these athletes have any confidence in what may happen. To rely on what the rest of the world is doing in regards to getting back to a normal life, SAJ has shown she will do what she wishes. Until there is a statement from school/administration that athletics will return in Fall/Winter, I won't hold my breath. And apparently neither are some of the players. They have had enough of the run around.

Hearing of another "key" returning player entering portal as well.........
                        This is a very fair statement true. Another key player? Oh boy.... so something obviously happened with the administration or something else

Comment

• Today is 6 March 2021. There are 210 days (30 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Babichuk would be another big loss. I don't think that we have another defenseman with a similar talent set.
                            Since I don't follow any other teams in the ECAC, do we know if any of the non-participating schools are seeing this kind of action by their players?
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

Since I don't follow any other teams in the ECAC, do we know if any of the non-participating schools are seeing this kind of action by their players?
                              Union has lost some. On the Cornell site, they have mentioned that trouble, but I think mainly by players who would graduate this year. The additional problem is that the Ivies don't allow grad students to play. There probably have been others too.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                                The blows just keep coming....
                                Not from what I have heard ... so you are wrong Sez. SAJ has NOT committed to a season in the fall. As an FYI, Cory will be just the beginning of this next round of exits ... others are also leaving ... I've been told there were 2 others. You can't compare Union's situation to RPI's. Union has ice is in and they practice, as well as other weight room development. RPI does nothing for any student athlete in any sport.
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X