Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No current or future RPI players are on the new NHL Central Scouting watch list. https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/a...-file/file.pdf
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 23 January 2021. There are 252 days (36 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Next year's non-travel partner schedule.
        Thanks to Jim Hyla at eLynah.

11/5 SLU
        11/6 CCT
        11/12 @Colgate
        11/13 @Cornell
        12/3 QU
        12/4 PU
        1/7 @HU
        1/8 @DC
        1/14 @CCT
        1/15 @SLU
        1/21 YU
        1/22 BU
        2/4 @PU
        2/5 @QU
        2/11 Cornell
        2/12 Colgate
        2/18 @BU
        2/19 @YU
        2/25 DC
        2/26 HU

FWIW, this year Brown has to reschedule for Harvard's benefit in the Beanpot.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-23-2021, 09:18 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Interesting that our first 3 ECAC games (and 4 of the first 5) are against the only 4 league teams that are playing this year. Of course, we will probably play Union before then.

Comment

• Tristan Ashbrook provided the insurance goal for MTU tonight. Ordinarily I have no interest in transfers, but Ashbrook and Savory are exceptions due to the unprecedented situation.

Comment

• Today is 24 January 2021. There are 251 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Out of curiosity, I took a glance at the ECAC standings today.

Quinnipiac is in first place with a record of 4-2-3-2-1-1 for 17 points. In order, those first six numbers correspond to W, L, T, SO, OW, and OL.

Obviously some new categories have been added that have never been part of the ECAC standings before. I'm not entirely clear on what some of these categories stand for or how many points they are worth.

T always used to be ties - if you played overtime and neither team scored, each team got one point. My best guess is that SO stands for shootouts, which we never used to have. We always had overtime wins and overtime losses, but never used to distinguish between W and OW, or between L and OL - if you won in overtime, you won and got two points, and if you lost in overtime, you lost and got no points.

If we have categories for shootouts, overtime wins, and overtime losses, it seems that the league plans to determine a winner in every game, which leads to the question - how would a game ever end up in a tie?

I feel fairly secure in saying that an L is probably a loss in regulation time and is still worth zero points. Other than than, I'm not sure how many points a team gets for a W, a T, an SO, an OW, or an OL. I'm also not sure whether the same game can be counted in multiple categories, i.e., as both a T and an SO or OL, or as both a W and an OW.

Anyone know how the system works? Anyone know whether the ECAC is planning to use this system in future seasons?

Comment

• Other leagues have been using a 3-2-1-0 system with 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT or SO win, 1 for an OT or SO loss, and 0 for a regulation loss.

Edit: Looking at the individual game results, that is what was done. WLT corresponds to what used to be done. I don't know where you got those numbers for QU/
                  Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-25-2021, 12:47 AM.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 25 January 2021. There are 250 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• I got those numbers right here at USCHO. I clicked on D-I Men, then on Standings, and scrolled down to the ECAC.

As of today, Clarkson has caught up to Quinnipiac and both teams have 17 points. USCHO's standings don't shed any light on whether SO stands for shootout win or shootout loss, nor do they explain how a game gets classified as a T. My first thought would be that a T stands for a game that is tied at the end of regulation, thus ensuring that the team gets one point, and then an additional points would be added if the team won in overtime or in a shootout. But if only three of Quinnipiac's games have been tied at the end of regulation, I don't see how they wound up with one overtime win, one overtime loss, and two shootouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                        I got those numbers right here at USCHO. I clicked on D-I Men, then on Standings, and scrolled down to the ECAC.

As of today, Clarkson has caught up to Quinnipiac and both teams have 17 points. USCHO's standings don't shed any light on whether SO stands for shootout win or shootout loss, nor do they explain how a game gets classified as a T. My first thought would be that a T stands for a game that is tied at the end of regulation, thus ensuring that the team gets one point, and then an additional points would be added if the team won in overtime or in a shootout. But if only three of Quinnipiac's games have been tied at the end of regulation, I don't see how they wound up with one overtime win, one overtime loss, and two shootouts.
                        http://www.collegehockeystats.net/2021/schedules/quim QU has

In league games:
                        3 Regulation wins = 9 points
                        1 OT win = 2 points
                        (Total 4 wins)
                        2 regulation losses = 0 points
                        1 OT loss = 1 point
                        (Total 3 losses)
                        2 SO wins = 4 points
                        1 SO loss = 1 point
                        (Total 3 ties)

Total 17 points
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 26 January 2021. There are 249 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

In league games:
                            1 OT win = 2 points
                            (Total 4 wins)
                            1 OT loss = 1 point
                            (Total 3 losses)
                            2 SO wins = 4 points
                            1 SO loss = 1 point
                            (Total 3 ties)

Total 17 points
                            Knew you could clear that up for us. If we ever do get to see us playing again I will have to get out my K & E slide rule to follow the standings and statistics.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• I noticed that locally Skidmore and almost local Utica College will begin 10 game schedules in February.......................................... .................................................. .......
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

In league games:
                                1 OT win = 2 points
                                (Total 4 wins)
                                1 OT loss = 1 point
                                (Total 3 losses)
                                2 SO wins = 4 points
                                1 SO loss = 1 point
                                (Total 3 ties)

Total 17 points
                                OK, I think I have it now.

If Quinnipiac's W-L-T-SO-OW-OL record was 4-2-3-2-1-1 as of the time I entered my original post (they have since suffered another loss), it translated as follows:

The 4 in the W column for Quinnipiac included both regulation and overtime wins, but not shootout wins.
                                The 2 in the L column included regulation losses only, and did not include either overtime losses or shootout losses.
                                The 3 in the T column included both shootout wins and shootout losses, but not overtime wins or overtime losses.
                                The 2 in the SO column included only shootout wins, not shootout losses. If you want to know how many shootout losses a team has, you have to subtract SO from T.
                                The 1 in the OW column included only overtime wins, not shootout wins.
                                The 1 in the OL column included only overtime losses, not shootout losses.

To determine the total number of points, apply the formula P = 3 x (W - OW) + 2 x (SO + OW) + 1 x (OL + T - SO),
                                which, in Quinnipiac's case, worked out to 3 x (4 - 1) + 2 x (2 + 1) + 1 x (1 + 3 - 2) = 17.

I knew those four years as a math major were going to come in handy some day.

Not that I expect anybody at the ECAC headquarters is going to care about my vote, but my vote is that next year the ECAC should scrap the shootout and go back to W-L-T.

Comment

Working...
                                X